News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My new & improved walking stick

Started by Dustin, September 01, 2008, 09:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

I couldn't find a thread for wood work in progress, so I'll just make my own.  ;)

Last Halloween, my entire family went trick-or-treating as characters from the Harry Potter series. I was Mad-Eye Moody, my wife was Professor Sprout, my daughter was Hermione, and the boy was Harry Potter. I cut a limb off a tree at work to be Moody's walking stick, and wrapped some fabric around it for a handle. Now that I've decided to jump head-first into my first ren faire, complete with garb and accesories, the stick gets a complete overhaul.

Here it is from Halloween:

After cutting off a chunk of the top, stripping off the bark, filing down some of the knots, and filling in a crack or two with homemade wood filler:

closer shot for woodgrain detail

Next, I'm going to finish it with either Tru-Oil or some kind of stain & varnish. Then, it gets a leather handle. Any tips on the finishing or how to attach the strip of leather for the handle?
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

jcbanner

As it is so far, its looking good.  I like the grain patterns in it!

I've used Tru-oil before, I really like it, and it buffs to a nice finish without needing varnish or anything like that.

For a leather grip, there are a few things I've tried with relitive success: 
I've wrapped a long strip of leather from top to bottom of the area I want covered and tacked the free ends to hold it tight. It looks nice, but I've had issues with the wrappings coming loose over time and I need to pull the tacks every now and then to pull the strap tighter.
I've also taken a single piece of leather that is just shy of being wide enough to wrap around the staff then punched holes along the two edges that meet up and ran lace through it stiching it up the same way my boots are laced.  Using this methed, the leather can be pulled really tight and snug.

rogheff

Gosh, I'm going to have to watch the movie again.  I'm always fascinated by staves in the movies.
Creator of FInely Crafted Hiking Staffs and Shillelaghs

crazyrennie

You  may wish to apply a small amount of glue to the leather where you attach it to the walking stick. 
Depending on the type of leather you use-you could wet it down,then tack it to the  walking stick.

Dustin

Well, I decided on the Tru-Oil, and I think it looks great. It may get the leather handle in the future, but for now, I like it as it is...

If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

BrokenArts

Looks very nice!  I like the finish, and your hand will grip around that handle very well I bet.  Good job. :)

BLAKDUKE

I have photos of 'Oliver Runestaff"  how the bloody 'ell do I get them out here without opening up yet another account on photobucket that does not work.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

rogheff

You could always carve a grip instead of wrapping it as well.  Nice staff.
Creator of FInely Crafted Hiking Staffs and Shillelaghs