News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hurricane Ike - where will you be?

Started by Var Greyshadow, September 11, 2008, 12:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpullen

I think for the next one I'll drive far, far away.

Lost power about 8PM Friday, well before the storm hit.

Woke up around 2 AM Saturday and watched the horizontal rain blowing from the north. Woke up again at 4 AM and watched it blow from the south.

Spent Saturday cleaning up debris. Then went to Son's place to haul out the travel trailer. His lawn was too wet to drive, so decided to just stay there.

Got power back on Monday afternoon, but no cable up to this morning, so decided to go to work and communicate with the outside world from here.

Got to call insurance company to see what my deductible is. If it's too high, may just pay for the new roof out of pocket.

Biggest problem is Seawolf Park. We have alot of work there. We probably will have to refloat the Steward and redig the hole she normally sits in. The drawbridge to Pelican Island is damaged and impassible, so anyone attending TAMU there can't get to school.

Phones at work aren't working, but with at least 10 offshore platforms damaged and all the electrical substations damaged, I'm sure they are trying to call us.

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Yrose on September 17, 2008, 09:32:11 AM
We are at my dad's till further notice, still no power at his house either though. Not doing too bad though, been able to get ice and gas to keep us going. Back at work full time and have internet here. I do need to wash clothes though, don't think they would appreciate me coming to work nekked    :P

Rose:  Aren't you all in Magnolia too?  You might want to check if the power is on in your area.  We are off of Nichols Sawmill and power was restored yesterday afternoon.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Tipsy Gypsy

For what it's worth, power was still out in Todd Mission as of earlier this morning...
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

DonaCatalina

The Red Cross Safe and Well Web site is the best resource that is being suggested for help in locating people displaced by disasters such as Hurricane Ike. The site provides a place where people affected by a disaster can register as "safe and well." The site also provides a list of standard messages you can select to let friends and family know that you are O.K. It also allows family and friends to search the list of those who have registered themselves as "safe and well."

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Var Greyshadow

I found this site this morning: http://ktrk.typepad.com/abc13/2008/09/galveston-perso.html

You can post on here if you're looking for friends or relatives and leave contact info for anyone who knows anything to get in touch with you.  The Safe and Well site depends on the person you're looking for having registered themselves.  (In the case of our friend, it's doubtfull he'll find his way to the site.  Not the most computer-savvy.)

mpullen - a real shame about Seawolf Park.  I hope the historic ships will be OK.  Good news is the Elissa made it through!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Yrose

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on September 17, 2008, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: Yrose on September 17, 2008, 09:32:11 AM
We are at my dad's till further notice, still no power at his house either though. Not doing too bad though, been able to get ice and gas to keep us going. Back at work full time and have internet here. I do need to wash clothes though, don't think they would appreciate me coming to work nekked    :P

Rose:  Aren't you all in Magnolia too?  You might want to check if the power is on in your area.  We are off of Nichols Sawmill and power was restored yesterday afternoon.

We went out there yesterday and cleaned out the frig and took the plywood down.We're still without power. We are off of Dobbin Huffsmith and there are so many power poles and trees down you can't count them all. I did count 15 poles alone down.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Lady Ann of Draycott

Does anyone know how Guinevere and Marcus are doing?

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Blue66669

They're doing just fine- beginning cleanup and waiting for the insurance adjuster. Guinny will be ok, as long as there's cold beer in the house...
Blaidd Drwg

Yrose

Their house lost shingles, and flooded. The ceiling fell in and the house is uninhabitable. They are staying at a local hotel. Taking it all in good spirits.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Blue66669

Oh hell, it's not all that bad. A little water damage in the living room, and ceiling collapses there as well. All bedrooms, kitchen, and upstairs are still ok. They're back at home now cleaning up.
Blaidd Drwg

Taffy Saltwater

Just walked in about 1/2 an hour ago - I'll be so glad to fall into my own bed tonight.  I think there's a bottle of rum w/my name on it waiting for me.  Take care, all!
Sveethot!

Lord Dragonspyre

Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

Var Greyshadow

Oh man!  That's one of the best photo galleries I've seen.  Still looking for more pictures of the Clear Lake area to see if my marina (and thus my boat) survived.  For those that know the area, she was in the dry stack barn at Endeavour Marina on NASA Road 1.  On an upper tier rack, so if the building survived, she probably did too.

Good news on our front - Our missing friend called Lawrence from San Antonio this morning.  He'd had 5 feet of water in his house and waded through chest-deep water to get to Ball High School.  After passing out from dehydration and a trip to hospital to get that fixed, he got a bus to San Antonio.  His brother lives there, so he's safe with family.  WHEW!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Lord Dragonspyre

Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

RenRobin

Var, glad ya'll heard from your friend.
Loki-terr (in training)