News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Having your picture taken at faire?

Started by theChuck, September 20, 2008, 11:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

Whenever I see a camera, I get in that saucy wench pose and put the biggest smile on my face. 

I'm a picture Diva!!    ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Becky10

The only times I have ever been annoyed by having my picture taken is 1) when I had a drunk guy trying to take a picture with me 2) when I had heatstroke and the group of preteen boys were taking forever to get the picture.

I think its almost expected that at some point you will get a picture snapped of you if you're in garb. To me its more of a compliment than anything. I would be ecstatic if someone came up to me and told me where I could get a copy of the picture, so far I've only been able to find one.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

temper

Unless it's specifically forbidden on faire entry then no, it's a fact of life.
I *will* however jump on anyone who feels the need to mock my group online or use a photo out of context.

Otherwise, It's a 'fan feature' :)
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

LadyFae

I love having my picture taken at Fest!  =)  In fact, I believe that is how I found this site- I was scouring the internet looking for pics of me and/or my girls!  (And yes, I have found a few on this site...)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

PollyPoPo

Reading all these posts, I simply have to share an experience from TRF several years back.  I am no where close to H/A, but with get into the spirit with gown and headdress.

Sitting alone for a moment, I was approached by a young woman asking if she could take a picture with me.  I looked up and saw 5 or 6 young ladies from Japan.  So help me, it was the stereotype of the Japanese tourist group with cameras ready. 

My mind jumped and I decided to give them an experience of faire to remember.  I stood up as if to pose with one of the visiting girls, but raised my finger to pause them.  I am the 60 year-old Matriarch of our Faire garbed group, and with a commanding wave of my hand, I motioned to one of our family ladies to join in the picture.  As she got into position, I again paused the girl with the camera and motioned to a second lady of our group to join us.   A third time I paused and a third grandly dressed lady joined us.   

Once more I paused the now wide-eyed visitors.  This time I motioned to a tiny (four-year) princess in royal gown and circlet crown.  She had been practicing being imperial all day and just enchanted our visitors.  Cameras started flashing like crazy, many from bystanders who had been watching.  The visiting girls took turns posing with us.  I raised my finger, all the girls watched me, as I pointed to a tall, mundane dressed fellow and beckoned him come.  He took turns using the girls' cameras so their whole group could get in a picture with all of us. 

We had fun, the visiting girls had fun, and I'm sure when they showed the pix back home their mothers determined never to let them leave home again! 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Princepessa Lillianna

I find it very flattering to have someone take a photo of me. Since I tend to move around a lot due to my character and my two year old, having my picture taken makes me smile. Usually people just take my pic because I have the boy strapped to my back or I'm up a tree in a royal gown. But since when I don't have the child with me and I get asked for pictures, I have to admit that I bask in the rareness of it. So yeah! Stroke my vanity a little, please! ;D

It is what it is.
Work to Live!!! Life is too short to do otherwise!

CapnFayeCutler

I don't mind, especially when complimented on my garb and asked. Sometimes candids can be great, sometimes horrible! But that's how it goes and usually ask for the link if they're going to be posted so I can see them too! :D
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

LadyStitch

I had been hoping someone with a professional camara got a good one of my pink pirate last year.  Belive it or not a great one was taken.  It mad me feel good that my work on his garb was appreciated, and stroked his ego.  I was surprised they even got a nice one of me.  I loved it.  ;D

I consider it a compliment.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Luna

i also enjoy having my picture taken, especially by professionals. i have had a few ask me, however i have never found the pictures  :-[
but actually i would prefer not to be asked, because i don't think it will look as good if i know it is coming.

Carl Heinz

Finding stills on the net can be difficult.  YouTube's search capabilities make it easier to find those entries.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Sir. Kindle

I love getting my picture taken. From the day I first dawned garb and was surprised that someone wanted to take my picture, I was hooked. Now, since there are so many well dressed people at faire, I always try to dress to the nines, if only so I stand I chance of getting my picture taken. I had cards made up about half way through last season, which I gave out to anyone who took my picture (or to anyone I took a picture of), which gave them ways of contacting me. Sadly, while I gave out hundreds of cards, only a hand full of people sent me any copies. I was rather disappointed in that. I'm hoping I'll be more successful this year.

I also love taking pictures of others. If it's at all possible, I always ask before I take a picture, if only because I'd rather have them posing, than risk getting a bad picture. I also usually take at least 2 shots, just encase they ended up closing their eyes in one. I post most of my pictures on my flickr account (which you can find in my profile). I've had tons of people contact me and ask if I can email them a copy of some of my pictures. I'm always happy to do so.

That being said, I actually did have one experience where someone refused to let me take their picture. I passed by him and quickly asked if I could take his picture. He said something too quietly for me to hear and kept moving. I figured he just didn't hear me, so I caught up to him, camera in hand, and asked if I could take his picture. He flatly, and rather rudely, refused and kept walking. I was totally taken aback. I, of course, wouldn't dream of taking someone's picture if they didn't want me to. However, I can't understand someone taking the time to dress up as nicely as he did and than refusing to have his picture taken. I'm sure he had his reasons, but I, personally, can't understand them.

auntiegiggles

Last night Aladyandfae and I went to an event at the Main Street Stage in Anoka, MN.  It was to celebrate Shakespeare's birthday.  Patrons were asked to dress in Ren garb (free ren fest tickets if you did).  We consistently had photos taken of us!  It was great.  I liked it because everything we had on,   garb and jewelry, we had made.  It was wonderful to receive so many compliments!  Fae's garb we had made it two days.  She still has work to do on it - but you couldn't tell unless you looked closely.  It was nice to have so many people appreciate the hard work we had put into our garb and getting ready.   :D
And dressing as noblewomen it is no quick process to get dressed.   ;D
Everything goes better with giggles

gypsylakat

I go to GMU and we have a huge drag show every year, our homecoming "queen" from last year EmCee's it and she has her own facebook profile for her persona, perhaps make pages for your own characters and ask people to friend you and tag you in the photos? If you end up liking the photos they posted, you can ask them for the originals :)

You could make business cards of some sort with your link on them too :)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

ladyecho

I like it when people want to take my picture. But more than most they take pictures of my nieces! I have had one person take a picture of me and my older niece at faire when she was 7 months old, and asked me for my mailing address so she could send me copies of them.
This pass faire several people took pictures of my nieces because they were obsessed with trying to climb a tree during the joust! If anyone has any I would LOVE to know where I could see them!!!!  hint hint wink wink nudge nudge!

ladylissame

I have always enjoyed having my picture taken. It tells me that they like the garb and outfit I put together.
I also love taking photos of people. I usually try to be sneaky and get the candid shots because I know that is when I always look my best.