News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Haunted Places - do you have a story?

Started by DonaCatalina, May 14, 2008, 06:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Anson, Texas- The Anson Light – Eighteen miles southeast of Hamlin, at the junction of US-180, sits Anson, named in honor of Dr. Anson Jones, the last president of the Republic of Texas. Anson was also a stop on the legendary Butterfield Stage U.S. Mail route that ran between St. Louis and San Francisco from 1858 to 1861. The Light is viewed at the crossroads near the Mount Hope Cemetery. The cemetery is located going towards the country. The lights are viewed by driving down the dirt farm road equivalent of about a half mile or more. As you drive closer to the cemetery towards the lights they disappear. The railroad tracks which are sometimes credited as the source of the lights are actually ½ mile south of the crossroads.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

knarlyknot

Might I make a request? Does anyone have stories about San Antonio? We're vacationing there this summer and would love to check some of them out. Thanks!

My grandmother's house in Pasadena,TX is haunted, by what I believe to be about a 6 year old little boy.  He's just mischievous, turning up the volume on the radio, turning both the radio and the tv on, starting a clock that hasn't had new batteries in decades.  He'll go away for awhile and then just show up again one day.

DonaCatalina

San Antonio - The Emily Morgan Hotel - Floor nine is a very active floor. Having been unaware that the building formerly occupying this spot housed wounded soldiers during the battle of the Alamo, we stayed on the top floor. We had no problem with the room other than the air-conditioner going on and off all night. The elevator would not take us to the floor we wanted. Once we did get moving the doors would open and shut about ten times before standing still long enough to let us out. Management had responded to earlier complaints of the same but the motor was fine. The twelfth floor, seventh floor and the basement are very active places also. Ice machines, vending machines and air conditioning regularly malfunction. The current building was built as a hospital on the area that used to be part of the Alamo compound. The basement was used as a morgue and the seventh floor was used at one time for terminal illnesses.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

knarlyknot

Oooooo, Thank you so much DonaCatalina!  I will definately have to check that out.

Blackbead

Knarlyknot:

Check out a book called Weird Texas; it includes several places in San Antonio that are reputedly haunted.  This includes the donkey-headed woman (a woman in white legend) and a spot where a school bus was hit by a train and where your car will roll UPHILL and then have ghostly, child-size handprints on the bumper!  Enjoy!

Blackbead
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Lady Christina de Pond

in town they say the kitchen at the very expensive resturant is haunted they can't keep cooks.
My brother also claims our house is haunted. he says wierd things happen doors mysteriously open my mother said she was home alone and a ceramic figure jumped off the shelf
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Blackbead on May 14, 2008, 01:09:28 PM
Knarlyknot:

Check out a book called Weird Texas; it includes several places in San Antonio that are reputedly haunted.  This includes the donkey-headed woman (a woman in white legend) and a spot where a school bus was hit by a train and where your car will roll UPHILL and then have ghostly, child-size handprints on the bumper!  Enjoy!

Blackbead

The school bus thing was debunked. Sorry. The railroad track is on the edge of the helix curve and its looks as if you're rolling uphill while you're actually rolling downhill. The cops also take a very DIM view of people stopping their cars on the tracks to check this one out.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Yrose

The Emily Morgan is on one side of the Alamo and the Menger is on the other side. Both are haunted and decent priced for hotels in the area. The Emily Moran was named after the woman that helped Texas by distracting Santa Anna and became known at The Yellow Rose of Texas.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on May 14, 2008, 01:22:02 PM
in town they say the kitchen at the very expensive resturant is haunted they can't keep cooks.
My brother also claims our house is haunted. he says wierd things happen doors mysteriously open my mother said she was home alone and a ceramic figure jumped off the shelf

Where is this restaurant?
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

knarlyknot

I actually bought Weird Texas for my grandfather last Christmas, I'll have to see if I can borrow it!

Lady Christina de Pond

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 14, 2008, 02:58:45 PM
Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on May 14, 2008, 01:22:02 PM

Where is this restaurant?

In Rome Ga
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Neophyte

I typically don't believe in "hauntings" or "ghosts" but I have had a disturbing "experience" which I don't care to go into detail about. Years later I've heard similar stories from other people having encountered the same thing in the same place. I've also found that this place is considered the most paranormally active site in North America by people in those type of circles. Those of you from Louisville, KY already know where I'm talking about... I've never been back.
Those of you who have been there, my experience involved the 3rd floor and hearing singing. I hear it's pretty typical.

https://www.prairieghosts.com/waverly_tb.html
Royal Taster Of The Scotch
Peep Sniper
Castleteer
Teer

Yrose

Waverly! I so want to go there. I do know of some one planning a trip and want to try and make it.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

DonaCatalina

Abilene, Texas – Fort Phantom Hill – several photos have appeared in the local Abilene newspapers that have 'ghostly' figures in them. There have been reports of cold spots and the sounds of footsteps, particularly around the powder magazine. There have been several reports of sightings of soldiers near the old hospital that vanish when approached.  Fort Phantom Hill Lake is supposed to be haunted by a spectral figure of a woman who wanders the shoreline.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Casche

I work at the Scott Theatre in Fort Worth, and in the 60s a stagehand hung himself in the sub-basement.  There's a ton of stories, so my dad (who has his own paranormal investigation group) decided to check it out and brought me along.  The first year we did it, we got several evps, two which contained my name!  The second year we investigated, we were all in the sub-basement and heard someone walking above us, but thought it was the guys that were still there working.  When we got upstairs, they swear they had been in a totally different room watching tv for the past hour.  And where the footsteps were coming from was covered in scenery, so there's no way anyone could have been walking there...