News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Waterproofing shoes for fair

Started by Captain Dungcaster, March 15, 2009, 08:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Dungcaster

What do you do to waterproof footwear on those rainy faire days? Of particullar intrest are those long boots.

Thinking of Faire on a rainy day in Richmond. sigh.....

Frank Blanton
Lord Dungcaster of these Near Parts :D
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

Sir William Marcus

"Jig-A-Loo" www.jigaloo.com  An excellent water repellent, and has a lot of other household uses as well.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Master James

The other option is what I do every year and it never fails.  I put a TON of shoe polish on my faire boots, I mean I lay it on thick.  I pay special attention to the seams and the sole where the boot meets it.  Then I take a lighter and melt all the shoe polish into the leather (be careful not to stay in one spot too long or you'll set the polish on fire!).  Once its all melted in all over, I let it cool then brush and buff as normal.  I've never had a leak and last year MDRF was a MUD PUDDLE one weekend and we were walking in ankle deep mud and water all day and my feet stayed dry!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

gem

I've just designated a pair dedicated rainwear, and try not to worry about mud.  (Of course, I'm also worrying about skirt hems, so you gents count yourselves lucky!)

Syrilla

Master James suggestion is a time honored approach.  It also is better for your feet!

Dayna

Master James, by any chance did you learn this method of Flaming the Polish while in the service of our nation?  I ask, because I learned it from a serviceman, and still do it at least once a year to this day, even for normal wear shoes.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Adriana Rose

I have used the spray on water poofer that you can find in the camping stuff at wally world. it works fairly well

Master James

Quote from: unilady on March 17, 2009, 06:07:03 PM
Master James, by any chance did you learn this method of Flaming the Polish while in the service of our nation?  I ask, because I learned it from a serviceman, and still do it at least once a year to this day, even for normal wear shoes.

Dayna

Dayna,

Actually I learned it before serving in the USAF while I was in the Civil Air Patrol, which is like JROTC for the USAF only they do a LOT more.  I even add Quintone to the polish if you can find it and I think that helps as well.  Like I said though, I have never had a leak doing it the way I do it.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

LadyDracolich

Master James' idea does work as does Mink Oil that you can get at any grocery store/ Wally World/ Dollar Store, etc.
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

LadyOren

Mink Oil Definately!  As recommended per above posts, be sure to do all the seams, and if they are leather bottoms with threads sewn thru the soles, extra coat them too.  Best Wishes!
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman