News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New patterns! Simplicity 2621 and 2589

Started by Lady L, April 04, 2009, 11:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady L

Simplicity has several new tudor patterns out. Have any of you seen them? Any comments, yay or nay?

Former Shop Owner at MNRF

LadyShadow

Oh wow.  I like them.  I was just on their website and didnt see any new ones.  I think I need to go and have a better look.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady L

I didn't see them on the website either, I bought these at my local Walmart, for $8.94 each.  :o

LadyShadow

All of the wal-marts near me have decided to discontinue their sewing sections :(  So no more quick trips for small notions.  Have to go to either JoAnns or Hancock now for me.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Manwariel

Ooh neat. I'll have to look for those. I noticed they'd retired some of their costume patterns when I was on the site tonight, but I didn't see any new ones. I hope they update the website soon. :)

By the way, I never buy patterns for more than $2 anymore. Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, and Hancock Fabrics put them on sale for 99 cents to $1.99 fairly often. You can look at the sales flyers on their websites and sign up for the e-mailing list so you know when they go on sale.

renren

Oooo, those are niiice! :)
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lady L

I usually only buy patterns on sale, too, Manwariel, but I didn't want to wait this time! They are regularly priced $17.95, so $8.94 isn't too bad.

We don't have Hobby Lobby or Hancock's near me. Our Joann is small/limited.
I would rather buy them for half price here, than have to drive 70 miles one way, to buy them for $1.99.

Manwariel

That's true :) That is a good deal compared to the original price. I wonder why patterns are so expensive.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

About time Andrea Schere put out a Tudor pattern. I would reduce the fullness of the skirt a bit in the front to get a cleaner line that is more Tudor than Elizabethan.

The Undergarment pattern is a must. I could use a better Shift pattern with a square neckline. Nor would another Corset pattern hurt.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady L

I think it's one of the most accurate patterns simplicity has printed.
They even use gingham to cartridge pleat the skirt. I really LOVE those sleeves. ;D
In the directions, they tell how to dress in order.
There are some things I would change, or tweak, but overall, I think it's worth buying.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This is the pattern from Reconstructing History that I like to use for Tudor gowns. There is Knife or Cartridge Pleating involved with this one. Though the instructions suck. I used the Tudor Tailor for a guide.

But for a commercial pattern company, this one is not bad. Certainly not for the beginner sewer unfamiliar with Period Clothing sewing techniques. This pattern can be tweaked.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Renee Buchanan

I went on the Simplicity site and looked for them with the pattern # using the Search button, and for both of them got the reply that they were unable to match that number.  So maybe they haven't been loaded yet.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Margaret

Ohhh.  I will have to get my grubby paws on them to really see how they look.

However - with just a quick glance at the pictures there - they don't look bad at all.  I mostly get concerned about the fit with Simplicity - they are always too big for me.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Athena

Wow, impressive! Now I'm going to have to stalk the Local Jo Ann until they get them!  :)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Adriana Rose

NICE

I gotta look at them!

With simplicty I always cut them to a size smaller than I am. ( I use mostly simplicity patterns because I live so far from fabric stores)