News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A visit, but where to stay?

Started by Syrilla, May 04, 2009, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrilla

Hello from the very wet east.  I may have the chance to visit your lovely festival this year, and would like to get opinions on where a safe, good, cheap place to stay would be.  Thank you!

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Iwould offer you a spare bed with Toki and I, but we live 1.5 hours north. Other wise most hotels in Castle Rock start to fill up early. South Denver can get pricy as most of the hotels on that end of town are on the pricy side. North Colorado Springs would be a good choice, but once agian that time of the year prices tend to be a higher since Colorado is a heavy tourist state.

Best bet if you want a hotel is check www.hotels.com and start getting price lists. Super 8 is my normal one to use when traveling as it is nice and not as expensive as some.

But if you don't mind the drive, Toki and I have a nice warm... or cool, dry place north and we could ride down with us on a weekend we plan on going both days.

Besides we are close to Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes which are always nice side trips to take if visiting.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Adriana Rose

There are several very nice and fairly cheap hotels in Castle Rock, thats like 10 to 15 minutes from the fair site. There is also southern Denver that is about 10 extra minutes away.

Though the hotels in Castle Rock are nice they range from Super 8 to Best Western. Look at the Colorado Renaissance Festival site www.coloradorenaissance.com for more detailed listings

Cant wait to see ya!

Syrilla

Thank you Lady de Laney and Adriana Rose.  I will keep you posted when I know more. 

Your Grace

I to will be visiting your Faire this year, thank you for your info on locations to stay, I do have a question do patrons come in garb or do they stay in the mundane?   ???
1st Duke of Somerset

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Your Grace on May 11, 2009, 09:09:47 AM
I to will be visiting your Faire this year, thank you for your info on locations to stay, I do have a question do patrons come in garb or do they stay in the mundane?   ???

OH We MOST Certinally DO NOT dress as mundanes, but dress as we would in the Renaissance. Please do not show up in mundanes unless you feel you must or feel more comfortable that way. Having been a playtron/paytron for 20 years I have always gone in garb and you will be full accepted in doing so.

look Toki and I up and let us all know when you plan on coming out.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Tanda

Quote from: Your Grace on May 11, 2009, 09:09:47 AM

Come however you want. We've had ninjas, cowboys, Klingons, Stormtroopers, Tigers, trees, a beaver, Jesus (who cheered on the evil knights), barbarians, Pirates, steampunk fairies, nobility, peasants, knights, King Arthur and his faithful Patsy (complete with coconuts), and just about anything you can think of that you can wear on a hot day.

Yes, come in garb.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Zoë

I liked the girl who came in that awesome goat/satyr costume.  That was pretty cool.

Don't forget the Stormtroopers in kilts!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Adriana Rose

Hehe that girl made one of my workers loose all normal thoughts... poor lad

She looked Fab though!

Syrilla

In your opinion what is the best weekend to visit for a first timer?

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

All of them?

Opening weekend is two for one if you have a Wendy's coupon.

Celtic fest you have more men in Kilts  :D

It's a tough call really as all are very good.

The early month of June has a higher chance of cooler weather but that IS NOT wrote in stone. Where as July and the 1st weekend in August tend to be hotter. But once again NOT wrote in Stone as I believe it rained most of a day in July last year (missed that weekend myself).

I personally love opening, Celtic, Romance, and closing. Kids weekend tends to have more children which can be good... or bad depending on who you are. If you love children then that is the best. if not, then maybe not. The Ale and Wine weekend while having free beer or wine is OK if you love to drink and if you don't mind whating a long time for samples. It's not all day long that free drinks are to be had from my understanding. OH and if you have a military ID Ale weekend you get a buy 1 get 1 free.

So it's a tough call. Don't let me saying June is cooler once again as this is not wrote in stone and can be just as hot. The saying "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" is a fact in Colorado. As an example today it was in the high 40's at 6:30. by noon it was 80 and right now where I live the wind is blowing pretty good with hardly a cloud in sight.

"The Metal Maiden"

Francisco Paula

Ale tasting weekend but that is fathers day weekend and military weekend so good luck not having a long wait for the ale. Wine tasting weekend my favorite and most of the time not more than 5 to 10 mins wait each round.

As De Laney said opening you can get 2 for 1 coupons other weekends i believe king soopers has a couple bucks off tickets.

If you go to there website they will tell what the special weekends are.

Oh also i believe that Barely Balance is only there the first 4 weekends if you want to see them.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

My lady and I are going to Romance weekend, just worked into our summer plans.  This will be our 5th faire this year (Arizona, Scarby, Janesville, St Louis, then after Colorado, Minnesota (our home faire) and early stages of planning TRF (probably won;t camp, since we are flying down.At least we are going both days. 

We will be in the Denver area the following week too.  Plan on tripping up to Estes (been there before and looking forward again).  Anything else that we should see?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Bishops Castle in Rye Colorado is worth a vist. It's south and west of Pueblo. If your not sure what Bishops Castle is google it. It's a one man project to build a castle. But be warned jim Bisop is a Hater of the government and Bush. if you like to here a fire eater, then get him going, but do not make him angery at you.

Estes is always a good visit and up to RMNP. Toki and I live just east about 30 miles from there. If your up in our neck of the woods (Loveland) look us up.
"The Metal Maiden"

Tanda

Quote from: Syrilla on May 12, 2009, 02:51:13 PM
In your opinion what is the best weekend to visit for a first timer?

For the very first time? Opening weekend. That way, when you get all hooked and stuff, you have the entire run ahead of you. ;)

Other than that, it depends on what you like best. Celtic Weekend and Music and Dance weekend are good ones. Less crowded than others. Kid weekend is good if you have a gaggle of children. Closing weekend has its own little fun things going on. Usually some type of humor taking shape.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)