News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What age did you start faire?

Started by beeboy, May 20, 2008, 03:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Element of Air

I attended the Southern California Pleasure Fair in ... 2003? I was about 14 or 15 and my current boyfriend introduced me to the fair. I went in home made garb and then purchased my first bodice. Here is a picture of me in it about a year or so later!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6814122&l=44dcccc2fd&id=539325150

Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

tcindie

In 1993, when I was 15, I went and worked the old (no longer there) dunk tank booth at MNRF for a day with a church youth group, and again the following year.  After that I made it out once a year most years, but it wasn't until last year that I actually got involved.  Now I volunteer at the fencing booth with some of the best people I know.  ;D

Lady Rebecca

This is my first year experiencing faire, and I'm already hooked. My first one was in April - the Norman Medieval Faire, and I've since been to Scarborough and the Oklahoma Ren Faire in Muskogee. I'm going to the St. Louis Ren Faire on Monday, since it happens to be when I'm driving up to New York anyway. Depending on my days off at work this summer, I hope to go to faires in upstate NY. Unfortunately, I think Wednesdays may be my day off... And the closest thing to me would be the Sterling Faire, and thats 2.5 hrs away and expensive!

I'm trying to convince my mom to come with me to the Coalinga fair and the Vallejo pirate festival while I'm home for a couple weeks, too.

Since creating costumes is what got me into this in the first place, I have garbed for every faire! And I can't imagine going without.

Dustis

2004 at 14 years of age, only just a few years ago but it took me a year to make myself some garb. Since then I've worked a year and am now bettering my garb gradually. Needless to say I have yet to find my character though, it changes with my clothes.

Charity 'The Pirhanna' O'Reilly

I started going to fairs at the age of 36. My first fair was LARF. I didnt know what to expect. I actually dressed up but my husband didnt. By the end of the weekend both of us was in full costume. We have been going ever since. We try to go to at least 4 fairs a year. We take our 2 kids with us to a couple of the fairs.

RSLeask

16... maybe 15 when I started going back in the mid 90s.  But actually getting into it... character, garbing, and everything... that was only a few years ago, at 27.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

madelinewebb

I first when when I was 18&19 then didn't go again until this year in April at a small local Ren Faire then up at Valhalla in June. I've been bitten by the Faire bug again!

Aaroncois

I first went to Sterling when I was around 20. I've gone nearly every year since 1991, and in garb since around 96. I rarely go more than once a year, though, especially since having kids. I've never been to any other faire but this one.

Ambios

Depends on the "level"...
First Faire.....Sarasota Medieval Faire @ 1973-74 (age 21-22) / Largo Renaissance (now BARF) @1976-1977
First garbed...Bay Area Renaissance Festival @ 1995 (43)
First cast...Bay Area Renaissance Festival 2004 (and counting) (52)
First out of state...MIRF 2004 
;D ::) ;D
Our kids were both cast members at respective faires before we were  ;D
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214
God Save My Sis...(oops) The Queen

Jezzy MacPeaks

I wish I'd gone to faire my whole life, but maybe I wouldn't have loved and appreciated it nearly as much as I do now if that had been the case. I'm marking my fourth anniversary faire season here at Great Lakes at age.. *clears throat*...guys cover your eyes... 54!
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

dbaldock

My first visit was to Scarborough Faire at the age of 34 in 1995, with ORAC, a Sci-Fi Fan Club in Dallas, TX.

From 1996 - 2001, I bought and used Scarby Season Passes, and I also visited the Minnesota Ren Fest in the Fall of 1996.

Also during the years, I visited Hawkwood and Excalibur.

After moving to Houston in 2003, I've visited TRF a few times.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

lordwriothsley

Quote from: Jezzy MacPeaks on July 31, 2009, 05:46:09 AM
I wish I'd gone to faire my whole life, but maybe I wouldn't have loved and appreciated it nearly as much as I do now if that had been the case. I'm marking my fourth anniversary faire season here at Great Lakes at age.. *clears throat*...guys cover your eyes... 54!
Jezzy you almost had me fooled there darlin cause all this time I never guessed you any older than maybe 39 or 40 lass.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Celtic_Fae

First faire: 6 months, King Richard's
First Garbed Faire: 15 years old, Bay Area Renaissance festival
First Participation: 16 years old, Bay Area Renaissance festival

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

First Faire: 25 September 1971. I was 19 on a First date with my future husband at the Northern California Pleasure Faire. Had a wonderful time.

First garbed Participation: 1998 in lower class garb. We have been dressing as Nobles since 2002 when I made our first set of Noble garb. Have and will not look back.

You might say, we have been "rennied"!!!

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Hey- Arent You?

attended occasionally with my ex-wife and family starting in the mid 80's......
mid 90's a buddy of mine talked me into going in garb..... and it all just hit me then.......
cuz it's better in garb.

in '01, I became a performer, and the garb became a costume, and a hobby became a way of life.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke