News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

why does Murphy hate me??

Started by Auryn, July 30, 2009, 10:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

I have been working on a gorgeous jacket for about a month now.
I haven't had a chance to work on it in about 2 weeks.
Last night I finally had the night all the myself and all the motivation to get it finished.
Guess what, I ran out of thread.

First time thats ever happened to me, I will always be buying two spools from now on.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

LadyShadow

I hate that.  I had to start buying 2 - 3 spools of thread at a time due to that.  Or the one I hate is breaking your last needle in what ever size and not able to get more until the next day.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

LadySeasan

Whenever I go to Walmart, JoAnns, etc. I always buy 1-2 threads while I am there, even if I am not there to buy stuff for my project.  Just always pick up 1-2 spools whenever you go out.
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Kate XXXXXX

I tend NOT to run out of thread...

I keep a good stock of larger reels (1000m) in black, white, ivory, navy, red...  General stock colours.  I usually have two: one in use and one ready to open.  When I open a new reel, I put it on my shopping list and replace as soon as I'm shopping again.  I keep 3000-5000m reels of stock colours in serger cones.

When I need to buy special colours for specific projects, I buy four 1000m cops for the overlocker/serger and 3 smaller reels of whatever thread is needed for the ordinary sewing machine.  If I can use 120's polycore on both machines, I'll buy five 1000m cops.

I'll soon be buying both serger/overlocker and ordinary thread for a wedding project.  Bride in poppy red, bridesmaids in chocolate brown.  Because of the size of the project, I'll buy serger cones of both colours: 5000m of each, plus the silk for the ordinary machines.  Three reels for each dress.

Think in terms of a 1000m reel for each garment for an ordinary machine, and you won't run out.  I'd rather have thread left than run out.

amy

hello talented ladies!   Does anyone else buy their threads online.  I have several times bought bundles and lots on ebay and have had both moderate and fantastic success with the quality.  Well worth it when buying 4 spindles at a shot.   Anyone have a back pocket secret source?

Thank you!

Auryn

thanks for the tips.
I guess because it had never happened to me before I really had no idea how much thread I would need.
I always have at least 3 rolls each of white and black on hand, but then I generally only buy specific colors of thread for the project I am working on- usually I buy it at the same time I buy the fabric.

This was my first time making something so 'elaborate' that included bias binding the entire trim of the jacket.

I went out and bought more thread last night.

I will definitely be buying several rolls at a time from now on. I only have my sewing machine, no serger.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

sealion

I haven't had any thread issues becasue I usually have another spool that's "close enough" in color. I have dealt with the needle issue though. My last project I broke three needes sewing one seam because I was sewing over pins that needed to be there to hold the pleating in place!
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Kate XXXXXX

I also buy needles in bulk: boxes of 100 in sizes 70, 80, and 90, and packs of 10 stretch needles in the same sizes.  I buy others in smaller packs as I don't need them so often.  By the time I get to the bottom quarter of the box, the next one is in place for when it runs out.

Bulk packs like this work out a lot cheaper per needle.

gypsylakat

Honestly I remember the first time I broke a needle (I'm still new at sewing, I have lots of book smarts on it but not so much practical " I did this" ) I was re-working my friend's bodice and went to sew more bias tape binding on and "forgot" there was metal boning in the front section.. oops. It scared  me to death because I wasn't quite sure what happened. I need to get working as soon as I get back to school though... Coupons to MDRF just came in and we're definitely going in the first 3 weekends... and all I have is fae garb... need to try something different YAY
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."