News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Research help!

Started by Lilith, October 15, 2009, 04:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilith

Dear all,

I am a long-time lover of Ren Fests and now as a student I'm working on turning that love into a piece of research that may eventually be published (if I'm clever enough!). The work is tentatively titled Authenticity Without Object and studies the way Ren Fests act as interactive experiences that can be educational, experiential and immersive in nature. I'm working on relating Ren Fests to certain types of living history museums and what I really, desperately need is some responses from Ren Fest regulars
(and anyone you know who might be a drop-in or casual visitor). I would like to conduct a survey about your experiences at whatever Fest you go to and how it has been transformative or in some way informed your personal development. Essentially, how has a Ren Fest touched people's lives?

I am posting this here because I want to find out if this is something that's permitted in this community, and if so, where is the most appropriate place to post it?

Thanks in advance!
Lilith

crazyrennie

Would you want responses from Cast as well?

what kind of Questions do you have

RSLeask

Wouldn't see why it isn't.  I'd probably say, make the allowance for the people interested in being victi... I mean, interviewees... to contact you.  And hmmm, seems like general faire discussion to me, so I think you got the right place.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

anne of oaktower

As a fellow student who hopes to one day be working on a thesis/doctorate related to renfaire, I can appreciate your need for our input.  Feel free to send me a renmail with the questions you need answered...I'd be more than happy to help!

aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Dinobabe

I think someone did something similar last year, and I think they just posted the questions in the post and let those who were willing pm the responses.  Or it could have been my Civil War board.  Either way! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lilith

Thanks so much for the responses! The most likely form my survey will take is a short (probably 10 question) online-type survey, with one space for filling in any personal stories, times that the ren fest really made you feel immersed or transported, or perhaps your first ever experience, what made you keep coming back &c. Also greatly looked for are any experiences that made you want to learn more about a particular subject - be it the joust, garb, medieval diets, whatever caught your eye that took you to looking deeper! I am collaborating a bit with my advisor on getting the survey written as this is my first ever time doing it (scary!) so I hope to have it ready to go in a week or two. What I would likely do is post the link and allow anyone who wants to help follow it. I'd like to try to arrange some sort of thank-you for helping if possible!

In answer to a post above, I'd absolutely love to hear about the experiences of those working at a fest, whether as actors, third-person interpreters or peripheral staff (shops &c). It will all help me form a great picture of different aspects of the fest and how it relates to living history.

midnightferret

I did this in 2k4 regarding Renspeak (Faire accent, etc.) as a prescriptive dialect. I'm sure your project will be a success and get lots of responses! As per most research surveys, you will need a little "consent form" that gives you permission to use your subjects' answers in your research and in your paper/article.

Good luck!

groomporter

The book Performing the Pilgrims might be of interest. It's a look at portrayals of the Pilgrims evolved from glorification of them to the more accurate interpretations of history now done at Plimouth Plantation. If I recall it also touches on the debate at living history muesums over how much of historical reenacting involves  just acting

http://www.amazon.com/Performing-Pilgrims-Ethnohistorical-Role-Playing-Performance/dp/0878055703
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady_Claira

Well, I was a cast member at a faire this year and I'd have no problem helping you out with your survey. Send me a message if you need. :D
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike