News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Spam - A Lot!

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, November 23, 2009, 05:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Becky10

Tons of spam on the "I am new here what can I post" thread. REALLY bad.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Merlin the Elder

This particular spammer is a fairly active one all around the forums...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin the Elder

There seems to be a plethora of spammers here this morning!! Watch yourself!  Latest addition: SEOzzy

DonaCatalina

jackdaniels123 is spamming big time
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: DonaCatalina on December 01, 2010, 02:28:50 PM
jackdaniels123 is spamming big time
...and such a good name!!....

I've seen a LOT of names joining the site today that I'd be willing to BET are spammers, positively identifying at least 2 via an anti-spam site I use on a board I administer.

edit...
In the last hour or so, the following have registered: bbethrasmussenh, wlatanyamorsek, & bvancephillipsp and because of the similarities in user name formation, and email eddresses of the first two, I wouldn't trust any of these... They haven't posted yet, but they may just laying-in-wait!

edit2: another: ykendalllloydn

DeadBishop

When time permits, I usually scan the new registered members and clear out the spammers before they even have a chance to hit.  Sometimes, like this week, I haven't had a chance to do so, so they get through.

R/F.com member since 2003

DonaCatalina

Oh DB, we know you usually do such a good job of this that it appears invisible to most people.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

True, Doña Catalina... the administrators! They are good!  If I see something odd, I feel obliged to make note of it for their benefit. Unfortunately, I have experience with the problem, and it does take some help to stay on top of the spammers.

DB, if I am a bother in this area, please PM me and I'll keep quiet!

DeadBishop

No bother at all.  I'm glad people report the spam when it pops up, otherwise I might miss the ones that get through. 

I just deleted about 400 spam accounts last night.  One of the largest sweeps I've done in quite some time.

Merlin the Elder

user ckenethfowlerk has been reported on another board just once, but bears watching. 

Merlin the Elder

May be time for another sweep... I've seen quite a number of spammers registering the the past 3-4 days. I think I'm just a little more aware since I've been handling a bunch on my site the past few days.  I don't envy you this task, but if you ever want help, I'd be happy to pitch in.  I spend more time here than I probably should!  ::)

DeadBishop

It's several hundred per day.  I try to keep on top of it, but some days I don't have time to be on the computer.  Tonight it was a little over 600 spam accounts.

Merlin the Elder

On my site, I'm using extremely aggressive blacklisting, and am blocking most foreign IP addresses. But it's a very regionally focused forum and so far, that hasn't caused problems. Unfortunately, it's not a solution you can take with this forum. My offer to help stands. My job is in front a monitor, which is why I wander out here so frequently...I need period diversions to maintain sanity.

Thanks for keeping this running for all of us! If you come to RenDezvous, I'll buy you an ale...

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

There seems to be an unwarranted post in the Knights, Squire, Joust section . Something regarding unlimited bandwidth.  :(

Merlin the Elder

Dead Bishop and John.... I again offer my services.... PM me for references  :D