News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hobbit updates

Started by Drake Starsong, May 27, 2008, 07:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Starsong

http://movies.ign.com/articles/876/876536p1.html

Guillermo Del Toro is directing and it will be 2 films, the first is the Hobbit and the second will be a film taking alot of other tales done my Tolkien to tie the Hobbit and LOTR together.

Filming starts in 2010

So far Sir Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis are definites for coming back as well as Viggo as Aragorn being a possibility in the second film

Seems to be so far off...but I cannot wait!
Yo ho Yo ho!

serenamoonsilver

Not news, but I liked this Penny Arcade comic on the subject
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/5/28/

Zoë

Aragorn in the second film, really?  Is the second film supposed to be like, Silmarillion-like filler or something?  That would be cool though.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Drake Starsong

Well the Silmarillion took place before the hobbit - it suppose to be a film that ties the events between the hobbit and LOTR together...they are most likely taking a lot of the unfinished tales and side stories to cover the gap...they also are said to be planning a movie based on the Children of Hurin..

UPDATE - James Mcavoy also known as Mr. Tumnus in Narnia - is the front runner to be playing Bilbo in the movie
Yo ho Yo ho!

Scotsman

The way I see it if these a half as good as LOTR then they will be awesome!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Robin of Locksley

Quote from: Clereon Swiftarrow on June 02, 2008, 12:42:05 PM
Well the Silmarillion took place before the hobbit - it suppose to be a film that ties the events between the hobbit and LOTR together...they are most likely taking a lot of the unfinished tales and side stories to cover the gap...they also are said to be planning a movie based on the Children of Hurin..

UPDATE - James Mcavoy also known as Mr. Tumnus in Narnia - is the front runner to be playing Bilbo in the movie

Awesome. I think he did great as Mr. Tumnus.

Thistle

Wow! Of Hurin to? This could be the start of something beautiful. Heck, I'd love to see them tackle the First Age as well as they did the LOTR.

To the Hobbit movie and the interim film, I don't think it's worrying at all. Lord knows there's more than enough background and exposition in the good professor's books to fill hours of screen time. Sounds cool!

The one thing I wonder about is the tone they'll use for the Hobbit. Since it's very much a child's fairy story almost up to the Battle of Five Armies, I'm not sure it would fit in as written to the feel of the other films. Having just seen "Pan's Labyrinth" finally I trust the director can do it well - but I'm curious to see what he'll do.

Obadiah Jib

Check out the trailer for Hellboy 2.  It looks like the theme is a fairy court.  Rather dark but gritty and dynamic.  You can see the Del Toro genius in action!  The movie is out in July!
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Hoowil

Quote from: Scotsman on June 02, 2008, 12:54:55 PM
The way I see it if these a half as good as LOTR then they will be awesome!
Hey, the rest of the movie could suck eggs, but if they put the effort into Smoug that they put into the other movies, that'd be good enough for me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.