News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

kids pirate shoes

Started by Betty Munro, December 31, 2009, 01:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betty Munro

I have nearly finished a pirate coat for my wee one and would really like to find a source for a fairly accurate pair of shoes to wear with hose.  I was thinking girls plain black dress shoes.  I'd really really love to find a "foppish" shoe with a little heel I could put a big buckle on.  What are the thoughts on a pair of patent leather tap shoes?  I like how they tie, and I could add a buckle.  Am I grossly out of period?

Squire Mickey

The style sounds just about right. It's the amount of shine on that type of shoe that would be off. My girls have gotten similar styled shoes from PayLess fir costumes in the past that had a much more matte finish to them.

Tandy Leather has a perfect buckle for shoes. It comes in a smaller size that might work for you wee one.
Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Betty Munro

Excellent!  So then, the next question is, can the patent finish be removed?  Maybe with rubbing alcohol or paint thinner?  I guess I could google that, but then I'd have to leave the Ren forums ...

Squire Mickey

Well, here are some resources for you...

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=335

to get an idea what you are looking to copy
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=244

Here is a good reference for the shoe:

Some to purchase?
http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?skuId=002996015&productId=20528&subCatId=cat10333&catId=cat10090&lotId=002996&category=&catdisplayName=Girls+

As for the patent leather finish. If you remove it you will ruin the shoes. it is bonded the leather and the only way to get IT off is to remove the top grain of the leather itself.

I would try to cover the patent finish. perhaps skuff it up with steel wool, then apply black shoe polish. A LOT of black shoe polish...

You are looking at a lot of work. If you can, I would buy a different pair! I can't imagine walking around in tap shoes all day is going to be very comfortable.
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Betty Munro

Gosh, it looks like plain shoes really haven't changed much in the last 200 years.
Thanks for suggestion on scuffing instead of stripping the finish.  I don't think it would take too long to scuff them up ... a few hours isn't a big deal, I have 8 months till faire.  With my luck I'll get shoes now a size too big and they'll be a size too small by then.  LOL

Squire Mickey

Then steel wool is a good way to go, as it will take time but it will give you good control over the process.

You may want to start out with a mid level sand paper, about 150 grit at first. That patent finish can be pretty tough...

8 months? What part of the country are you in? Our 2010 season starts Jan 9th! We have 4 weekends in Miami area, 2 in Ft. Myers and then the Bay Area runs from mid Feb through beginning of April
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Butch

Having worn corofam shoes with my uniform for the last 30 years, I would recommend you try just spraying pledge (or some other furniture polish) onto the shoes, and then not wiping them off.  That should give the dull effect you're looking for without ruining the shoes.  Give that a try first, see how you like that look.

Good luck!

Betty Munro

I've actually used pledge for shoe polish.  Also to refresh my leather couch.
I'll buy a pair of second hand shoes from ebay, so "ruining" them won't be such a big deal.  If it works, then I'll re-sell them as part of the entire outfit when it is outgrown.  If they are ruined ... well, it wouldn't be the first 20 bucks I've wasted, probably won't be the last.  :)
I'm just really excited at the prospect of presenting a pirate in cool shoes 'n stockings and not plastic bucket boots. 
(Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE a pirate in bucket boots - damn sexy ... which is probably why I'm ok that my kid won't be running around looking all sexy for the other toddlers!  LOL)

Kate XXXXXX

Why take the patent off?  You should be able to buy plain leather tap shoes, often sold as practice shoes.

Butch

Yeah, the Pledge DOES INDEED work as polish for corofam (patent leather), but my suggestion is to spray it on and leave it on, without wiping it off.  It has a dull look to it that way.

You may also want to try wiping shaving cream all over the patent leather (either the gel or the foam), and let it sit.  Again, do not wipe it off but instead wear the shoes with the shaving cream still on them.  They will appear dull, and actually the emolients in the shaving cream make the patent leather look beautiful when it is finally wiped off.

Butch

Adriana Rose

Just keep your eyes out for a pair of shoes in the kids department at wally world or payless

if your litttle guy is a toddler its silly to pay near 50 bucks for shoes that will be out grown in a year!

just keep your eyes peeled youll find somethin

Betty Munro

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on December 31, 2009, 02:05:43 PM
Why take the patent off?  You should be able to buy plain leather tap shoes, often sold as practice shoes.

Excellent!  I saw the patent leather at Wally World, (in clearance, but the wrong size of course) and most of the ebay ads reference patent, but not all of them.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for practice non-patent leather.  :)

I checked out the fugawee shoes ... not what I'm looking for ... the tap shoe actually looks closer to me than fugawee for a Pirate Captain.  All I'll have to do is add a pair of big fancy buckles and I'll be set.
I'll be sure to post pictures when done.

dragongirl

It depends on what color you want but the white and beige shoes are not patient leather.  There are also some on sale for $10.00
http://www.allaboutdance.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.791/.f?range=1%2C20%2C28

You also might want to check out the worship dance section for cool comfortable skirts, pants, and tops.  Dressthem up and great for faire.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Betty Munro

Excellent link - thank you! 
I would love the black with a ribbon tie, not patent.  I don't see that specifically.  I am going to visit the mundane shoe stores to look at holiday girls shoes.  I think a mary jane style with a small heel would work.  The trick is finding something that is totally plain that I can just add a piratey buckle to.  It's fun to "hunt".