News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Stones or Beatles?

Started by Welsh Wench, December 12, 2009, 06:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eloquentXI

Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Lady Nicolette

Quote from: eloquentXI on December 15, 2009, 05:25:33 PM
Do I have to pick?    ;D

Well, if you're talking guitars it doesn't hurt to have a pick. :P
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Welsh Wench

For Taffy--I was looking at some Stones video and really looking at Charlie Watts. I think people don't notice him that much because he isn't flash.
But Lord, what a drummer!

I found this story-- one incident during the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night asking where "my drummer" was. Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my ***** singer!"

Although my all-time favorite drummer is the late Jeff Porcaro.

I tend to watch drummers because my husband is a drummer. Yeah, unfortunately a set of drums is in the corner of the living room.  >:(
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Rapier Half-Wit

Quote from: Welsh Wench on December 20, 2009, 09:48:39 AM
For Taffy--I was looking at some Stones video and really looking at Charlie Watts. I think people don't notice him that much because he isn't flash.

I found this story-- one incident during the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night asking where "my drummer" was. Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my ***** singer!"

I tend to watch drummers because my husband is a drummer. Yeah, unfortunately a set of drums is in the corner of the living room.  >:(

So what's your opinion of Neil Peart?
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Welsh Wench

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6444798630233614390#

Here ya go, Rapier!

Exceptional drummer.

I love Porcaro's style. He played with Boz Scaggs and Steely Dan. Co-founder of Toto.

Taffy Saltwater

size]

I tend to watch drummers because my husband is a drummer. Yeah, unfortunately a set of drums is in the corner of the living room.  >:(

Welshie, I love that story about Charlie Watts.  The man is pure class.  There's another story about him buying some classic car just to sit in and feel the wood dashboard - he doesn't drive(!).  It's always a pleasure to watch Mick or Keith or Ronnie go over to the drum booth and give him his props.

Thanks for sharing the story.
Sveethot!

Anna Iram

If you like a good backstory, here's one that illustrates just how competive the two bands were for "our" favor from the get go. There's a great article that goes along. Can't vouch for how authentic this is, but it's a good tale.

Taken from:

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200706/?read=article_mcmillian

"On July 26, 1968, Mick Jagger flew from Los Angeles to London for a birthday party thrown in his honor at a hip new Moroccan-style bar called the Vesuvio Club—"one of the best clubs London has ever seen," remembered proprietor Tony Sanchez. Under black lights and beautiful tapestries, some of London's trendiest models, artists, and pop singers lounged on huge cushions and took pulls from Turkish hookahs, while a decorative, helium-filled dirigible floated aimlessly about the room. As a special treat, Mick brought along an advance pressing of the Stones' forthcoming album, Beggars Banquet, to play over the club's speakers. Just as the crowd was "leaping around" and celebrating the record—which would soon win accolades as the best Stones album to date—Paul McCartney strolled in, and passed Sanchez a copy of the forthcoming Beatles single "Hey Jude/Revolution," which had never before been heard by anyone outside of Abbey Road Studios. Sanchez recalled how the "slow, thundering buildup of 'Hey Jude' shook the club"; the crowd demanded that the seven-minute song be played again and again. Finally, the club's disc jockey played the flip side, and everyone heard "John Lennon's nasal voice pumping out 'Revolution.'" "When it was over," Sanchez said, "Mick looked peeved. The Beatles had upstaged him." "

For me...they are just too different for me to say I prefer one over the other. I tend to prefer hard driven music more often than not, but The Beatles have some knockout lyrics, that just blow me away when I slow down and actually *listen*.

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Quote from: Hibernian on December 14, 2009, 10:12:52 AM
Beatles....first album ever bought, Rubber Soul.

May I applaud you fyne Sir on your FANTASTIC taste in music... guess which song on this album for which I was named!

Oy my vote is THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she loves me ya, ya, ya
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Welsh Wench

Somehow I can't see Mick Jagger giving a damn about currying 'our favor'.

Anna Iram

Quote from: Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia on December 21, 2009, 06:31:20 PM
Quote from: Hibernian on December 14, 2009, 10:12:52 AM
Beatles....first album ever bought, Rubber Soul.

May I applaud you fyne Sir on your FANTASTIC taste in music... guess which song on this album for which I was named!

Oy my vote is THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she loves me ya, ya, ya

Your real name is Norwegian Wood?  ;D

Anna Iram

Quote from: Welsh Wench on December 21, 2009, 06:35:45 PM
Somehow I can't see Mick Jagger giving a damn about currying 'our favor'.

WW...favor = money

Rapier Half-Wit

Have you seen the "baggage" under Ronny Woods eyes?
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Welsh Wench

Yeah, they all are pretty rode hard and put away wet.

But then who is looking for choir boys?  ;D

Molden

LOL! Good point Wenchie!

Props t' Keith Richards fer both 'is Pyrately influence on Johnny Depp an' his appearance in the 3rd installment in POTC.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Welsh Wench

Wonderful point, Molden! Heh, heh, heh....

I want this action figure!!!!!