News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

homemade coat hanger wings

Started by FiddleStix, December 21, 2009, 08:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleStix

hey everyone, i was wondering if any body had any suggestions on how i can wear my wings, which all the wires are wrapped around a single brace in the center. simple strings dosnt do the job, and they just sag and flop around. any suggestions?

mieljolie

I made some a long while ago for my daughter.  We made a harness that stretched over her shoulders out of waistband elastic.  We have since bought a larger pair at faire that had a velcro harness. 

If your wings are flopping, you may need to support them at the base of each with something running from one side to the other.  Maybe try the hardware store for some kind or springy steel or something if the wire hanger isn't strong enough.
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

LadyElizabeth

You need to make a fairly large FRAME for the wings to be on.  Roughly a rectangle on your back that the wings come out of.  THe rectable will provide a more stable base on your back and then you can secure it with either ribbons around your shoulders OR hooks over your shoulders also made from wire.  And then you could add a ribbon for around the waist.  All of this must be under your shirt, so you'll have to design your shirt with some kind of flap in the back where you can put your wings on and take them off again.

For us girls it's much easier, we just make a wire hook type thing that goes down into the back of our bodices.... that holds thing in place!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

FiddleStix

I have found a Reasonable way of wearing them, now im just having problems with the Cellophane part....Does all Cellophane Shrink? or do I have some sort of Shrink Wrap Material that dosnt really work? o,o

mieljolie

Quote from: FiddleStix on December 22, 2009, 04:31:42 PM
I have found a Reasonable way of wearing them, now im just having problems with the Cellophane part....Does all Cellophane Shrink? or do I have some sort of Shrink Wrap Material that dosnt really work? o,o

I'm not understanding this problem.  Are you heating them? Maybe some pics could help us see what is happening.

Quote from: LadyElizabeth on December 22, 2009, 12:16:35 PM
...For us girls it's much easier, we just make a wire hook type thing that goes down into the back of our bodices.... that holds thing in place!

That's a clever idea.  One of these days I may have to attempt a fairy outfit for myself.
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85