News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

HELP........my lawn!

Started by DeadBishop, May 27, 2008, 04:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren Jen

The kid at our house is always telling me we need a rider.  I keep reminding her it would not fit through the gate to the back yard.  So, she thinks we need a new gate too.  LOL.

Baron Doune

god a lawn tractor with a cup holder...is that asking too much?

Maybe a DVD player too.

Rage

Quote from: Baron Doune on May 29, 2008, 06:33:19 PM
god a lawn tractor with a cup holder...is that asking too much?

Maybe a DVD player too.

Ok so I have to show you mine and yes it has a cup holder!

Baron Doune

For years I had trouble with a mower.

It would work ok and then die.  Stuck float thing.

Found a small rock, drilled a hole through it and attached a leather cord.  Still hangs on the fence here.

When the mower started acting up I'd tap the float bowl with it.  Always did the trick.

If I had my way, the grass would be completely gone except for a small four foot path.

Well back to it...pulling weeds today and working on the beds.

(edit add)
bragging...sorry...

DeadBishop

Quote from: Baron Doune on May 31, 2008, 12:20:08 PM
For years I had trouble with a mower.

It would work ok and then die.  Stuck float thing.

Found a small rock, drilled a hole through it and attached a leather cord.  Still hangs on the fence here.

When the mower started acting up I'd tap the float bowl with it.  Always did the trick.

If I had my way, the grass would be completely gone except for a small four foot path.

Well back to it...pulling weeds today and working on the beds.

(edit add)
bragging...sorry...

Yeah yeah...ya know, the shade of that one tree would cover the entirety of my yard...

BTW, still working on it.  Can't get at much on this cheap piece of ****.  Everything is spot welded together instead of bolted.

R/F.com member since 2003

Baron Doune

Know that feeling Db.

Finally went electric on the weed wacker.  Lawnmower is the next gas thing to go.

Rage

Quote from: Deadbishop on May 31, 2008, 09:03:16 PM

Yeah yeah...ya know, the shade of that one tree would cover the entirety of my yard...

At least you have some full grown trees, thats one thing LD hates about my house. No full grown trees but thats what you get when you build a house.

My back yard is something like 100' wide by 140' deep and I have 4 trees the largets being about 7'. The neighbors (2nd to last) purchased for fast growing tress but they provide no shade.

Baron Doune

That tree on the right of that image is a White Swamp Oak Quercus bicolor,  my trophy tree.  It's about 12 years old and I'll be long dead before it reaches it final height of 60' with a 50' spread.

There's a Red Maple back in there someplace and the oak's twin sister a Sugar Maple, not shown in the photo.

Most of the other trees are really very (very) large bushes.

I'm in the process of putting together a tree guideline on my site...it's still incomplete at this point.

Pat's Backyard

Take great care with fast growing trees, they are nothing but trouble.  Very brittle wood.

A friend of our just took one out, as the city decided it was too close to the houses.  Cost was about $3900. (Silver Maple)

Other junk trees are willows, box elders and silver maples...great on a farm with space but a disaster in the city or burgs.

And you need to keep in mind, you plant one this year and another next year and such...not all at once.

It too us two tries to get the Sugar Maple to grow...but that was mostly due to my ignorance about what it needed (location, location, location).

Every "good" tree adds value to your property, every "bad" tree is just another eyesore.