News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Question For The (Mr.) Wizards On The Forums

Started by BubbleWright, December 30, 2009, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

This is a question based on an observation I made today...

I bought a large mylar balloon, which was filled with helium in the store until the skin was taut. Upon exiting the store, the 30 degree air hit the balloon and it got soft and crumply. I put it in my van and drove home. The heat in the van plumped it up again. I arrived home, and the dash through the cold between my vehicle and apartment caused the balloon to wrinkle up again. Once inside in the heat, the balloon plumped tight again. My question... warm or cold, does the balloon have the same amount of lift? I suspect the amount of helium is the same even though the volume changes, therefore the lift is the same. Any thoughts? ........ yeah I know, when I think too hard my head hurts!  ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

RSLeask

OK, we'll make two assumptions here.  First, is that the balloon is securely tied, and no air can escape from inside of it.  Second, is that the balloon itself isn't variable in mass.  These are pretty standard assumptions, but they have to be made nonetheless.

The reason why a balloon expands isn't just from the amount of air being pumped into the space.  It is also due to the bombardment of atoms or molecules inside of it (usually atoms, though, as molecules tend to be heavier than air, and when you're buying a floaty balloon, this isn't a good thing).  This is variable pressure, meaning the pressure being applied to the interior of object, compared to the pressure being applied to the exterior.  Now, the way this works is that, at certain temperatures, the atoms in a given space move at a certain speed.  Any change to the temperature, and the atoms inside will speed up or slow down, depending which way the temperature shifts.  At lower temperatures, they being to slow down, decreasing the interior pressure.  Higher, and they speed up, increasing it.  So what you witnessed with your balloon, holding the same amount of helium as it did when you exited the store, was the slowing of the helium atoms inside that balloon, which no longer were bombarding the skin with sufficient force to keep it rigid in its expanded form with the constant pressure from the outside air.  As the air around it grew hotter, the speed of the atoms increased, the force to the skin of balloon increased, and it expanded to accommodate.

(This is also the reason why a balloon over a flame will burst, by the by, even though it never comes into contact with the flame.  The air inside the balloon superheats, and the bombardment of the atoms against the skin of the balloon becomes more than the skin's tensile strength can support.)

To answer your question about lift, however, you have to take into account the total weight in a given volume, occupying a given amount of space of air.  As the balloon shrinks, it maintains the same mass, but occupies less space than it previously did.  Shrink enough, and the lighter-than-air helium will not be sufficient to keep the balloon aloft.

Edited for clarity.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

will paisley

Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

RSLeask

dangnubbit, Bill Nye never used equations in his explanations!   

:D
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Merlin

To put it simple.... things shrink when they get cold.

IT'S TRUE !
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Welsh Wench

You actually made it home with the helium IN the balloon?
If it was my husband and the boys, they would have sucked it dry.

It's like living with Donald Duck and Huey and Dewey.  ;D
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

BubbleWright

...it's a very big balloon (he said in a funny, high pitched voice).

Now why do I need a big silver mylar balloon? Every New Year's Day at 1 PM the city of Middletown, Delaware holds an impromptu, do-it-yourself Hummers Parade which spoofs Phillys Mummers Parade. Participants mock and lampoon events and personalities that were in the spot light the previous year by coming in costume and/or with floats with hand outstretched in front of face with thumb firmly touching one's nose. See: http://www.middletowntranscript.com/entertainment/x664195013/Hummers-Parade-back-New-Years-Day . As for the balloon, I attached a cabin below it and will have my very own BALLOON BOY tethered aircraft. I will make up a large billboard sign with words to the effect "CALL 911, CALL THE FAA, CALL CNN,...CALL OPRAH! SEE MY AGENT FOR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW RIGHTS AND REALITY SHOW OFFERS". Sick.. demented... yes but you already knew that. Over the years I've participated in at least a dozen of the parades, sometimes with my bubble machines.  :D ;D :D ;D
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Marietta Graziella

This is brilliant!  I hope you post pictures!

Quote from: BubbleWright on December 30, 2009, 09:11:01 PM
...it's a very big balloon (he said in a funny, high pitched voice).

Now why do I need a big silver mylar balloon? Every New Year's Day at 1 PM the city of Middletown, Delaware holds an impromptu, do-it-yourself Hummers Parade which spoofs Phillys Mummers Parade. Participants mock and lampoon events and personalities that were in the spot light the previous year by coming in costume and/or with floats with hand outstretched in front of face with thumb firmly touching one's nose. See: http://www.middletowntranscript.com/entertainment/x664195013/Hummers-Parade-back-New-Years-Day . As for the balloon, I attached a cabin below it and will have my very own BALLOON BOY tethered aircraft. I will make up a large billboard sign with words to the effect "CALL 911, CALL THE FAA, CALL CNN,...CALL OPRAH! SEE MY AGENT FOR EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW RIGHTS AND REALITY SHOW OFFERS". Sick.. demented... yes but you already knew that. Over the years I've participated in at least a dozen of the parades, sometimes with my bubble machines.  :D ;D :D ;D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Betty Munro

How are you going to keep your balloon warm tomorrow afternoon?

BubbleWright

The weather report is calling for a torrid 40 degree F plus temperature. As long as the balloon stays buoyant enough to float, it will be ok as it is not really lifting anything except for a small 2" figure of TOPO GIGIO (small mouse puppet seen on Ed Sullivan in the 1960s..."Oh Eddieee... give me a kissss!"). Besides, it will look more realistic as the real balloon partially deflated...
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Betty Munro

Just a suggestion ... maybe a thin wire "string" will help keep it afloat?

And I second the request for a picture of the finished display.

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Welsh Wench on December 30, 2009, 07:48:27 PM
You actually made it home with the helium IN the balloon?
If it was my husband and the boys, they would have sucked it dry.

It's like living with Donald Duck and Huey and Dewey.  ;D

Same theory explains why I never make it home with a full bottle of scotch... ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Anna Iram

...then we'd have Winkin', Blinkin' and Nod.  :D

That sounds like a hoot BubbleWright. Yes pictures please! Also, I agree with Betty. My brother does a site gag with a box of popcorn and seagulls flying over his head...any way...he keep the seagulls flying by attaching them with wire. That would work perfectly for your balloons I think! 

BubbleWright

I still have to make up my signs for tomorrow but here are some links to pictures of Topo Gigio, the pilot  and The Tethered Aircraft . I tried to drop in the photos but couldn't get it to work...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30462963&id=1487678759  after 1st photo click on Next.

Last year I went as a down on his luck Billionaire, soliciting donations from the crowd. See link below for photo:
http://gallery.pictopia.com/delawarenj/photo/7477126/

The sign on the trailer reads...

Billionaire Bail-Out

Please help the GREEDIEST NEEDIEST in their time of despair. We have lost millions of dollars (some of it ours) and have had to sell many of our mansions, estates, high-rise condos, and cottages in the Hamptons and on Nantucket. Helping us will put thousands of illegal aliens back to work as cooks, maids, gardeners and chauffeurs thus taking them off of Welfare.

Anything you can afford to give, be it $100, $500, even $1000 would help. We know Americans are the most generous people on Earth... who better to help the small segment of the U.S population who need help the most- The Rich! Place your donations in the champagne buckets or call the number below to donate:

1- 800 - WHO - CARES
   Antoine de St. Exupery

BubbleWright

PARADE REPORT- It was a perfect day for a parade (at least this time of year). It was 45 degrees F  and almost sunny. There were many variations on Tiger Woods, a few zombie Michael Jacksons, Balloon Boys (one had a Smart Car as the balloon cabin), an underwear bomber dressed in just padded briefs, one fellow in drag as Susan Boyle complete with music, a down on his luck investor with a sign saying Bernie made off with his money, a float with Captain Sulley amid airplane wreckage, and a crew pushing a Punkin Chunkin catapult (Punkin Chunkin is the Delaware State Sport). There was more but I didn't catch everything. The Parade lasted less than an hour and participants were given trophies... a golfer in full swing. They say there is something in the water here in Delaware...

Unfortunately I had camera problems, so no photos. I will post a link if there is anything in the local papers. Oh yeah... my balloon only slightly wrinkled but remained aloft for the whole parade.
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Betty Munro

Excellent to hear that the balloon stayed afloat!  :)
Hoping for pictures.  (fingers crossed)

BubbleWright

Well Betty, The Middletown Transcript came through with pictures. My picture is in the 3rd row down, 4th to the right. Yes, we are silly people here in Delaware. See:

http://www.middletowntranscript.com/entertainment/x1671993019/PHOTO-GALLERY-Hummers-Parade-rings-in-2010
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Betty Munro