News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Breasts of the Renaissance Book

Started by raevyncait, December 30, 2009, 08:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raevyncait

This was posted by a fellow rennie on Facebook, as a notice to all faire ladies, and I wanted to pass the link along. I counted, on the preview, which I have no idea if it is a samplilng, or the complete book, a little over 60 images, almost half of which are people I know personally or recognize from Scarborough (virtually all taken at Scarby, as I recognize the background), including 2 wenches that I know of, several cast members, and 2 performers. I know that I saw one shot of TheLadyKat, and she's in the background of another, and at least one of Blue,possibly 2 (one is face, the other is a full length profile).

Everything from this point forward is a quote from the post I saw on Facebook and in no way is intended to be anything other than passing along information:

"ATTENTION RENFAIR LADIES! Please pass this along to any ren group websites and cast members. This jerk is using photos he did not get permission for to use in a book "Breasts of the Renaissance" to sell for profit. Many of these are cast members we know but I also recognize several performers and rennies as well. This ...is not acceptable and the models need to know so they can take legal action.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1048488See More
Breasts of the Renaissance | By Dave Wilkie & Linessa Lindsay | Category: Arts & Photography | Blurb
www.blurb.com
Book title: Breasts of the Renaissance, By: Dave Wilkie & Linessa Lindsay, Category: Arts & Photography, Book Description: Intimate portraits of the ladies of the Renaissance in rich photography ..."
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Molden

Wow! Color me surprised. I found one of my best buddies' girlfriend on there. I just sent her an email with the link to let her know. Thanks!
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

raevyncait

Gotta love the speed of the Faire Folk grapevine! The note I found on Facebook had been posted about an hour and a half when I finished reposting the info on my various groups, and went back to look at the preview again... lo and behold, GONE completely from the website.  I have no idea whether the photographer pulled it, or if the website did, as there was a comment that stated "my image is included, without my permission and I ask that it be removed immediately" or something along those lines. Either way, the goal has been accomplished... at least for now.  I for one, will observe more carefully the photographers at Scarby though, as I've bookmarked the guy's general page with his photo on it.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Tipsy Gypsy

I suggest googling the photographer's name from time to time also, in case he turns up somewhere else.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

raevyncait

yep, that's my plan! Just in case he didn't learn the lesson of "DO NOT F*#& WITH FAIRE FOLK"
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

raevyncait

Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

renfairephotog

You should tell the faire where the photos were taken. Most have a policy against photographers making money off of the faire.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

raevyncait

Oh, I've reported it to Scarby AND to the website that is publishing, though they say "customer support is closed until January 2"
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Betty Munro

I would think there are enough ladies in bodices that would be willing to allow their photo to be used that he shouldn't have to resort to publishing photos of unwilling participants.  I hope he works it out.

raevyncait

Reposted with Kara's permission

Feel Free to pass this on ATTN: Regarding the "Breasts of the Renaissance" book and illegal use of photos. Ladies I have made screen captures of each and every page of this disgusting book. If the Blurb website takes it down and you need copies of the book for legal purposes or to see if someone you know is in it, plea...se feel free to message me here on Facebook under "Kara Mia" or jkarametzger@yahoo.com
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

lys1022

There is already an attorney involved as well, folks.  One of the young ladies whose portrait was used is the daughter of an attorney.  It is my understanding that he will be looking at it and addressing the situation.  No more details than that right now, but if I hear anything else, I'll pass it along.

Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Queen_of_Navarre

I was shocked to find my image was in this book. I am not young nor beautiful, but do have bountiful assets. While the photo is not as exposing as some, it is, all in all, a flattering photo. But I still DO NOT want someone to profit over my image when I did NOT give him permission to print and sell it as part of a book.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

bellevivre

I'll be honest- while it's irksome to think someone might be using my image to make money, it kinda creeps me out more the time i was mobbed by Asian tourists in one of my more buxom dresses... didnt care where they were from, but... knowing that my image would be on 30 different peoples websites? creepy.

In this case, honestly, by purchasing a ticket we acknowledge our image may be used. I dont think the larger faires issue an additional rider each time someone is legitimately filming onsite...

if my tracts of land are there, well, color me flattered. The bigger concern as i see it is this: how many underage rennie girls do we know who look like they are much older?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

JP yard troll

Ladies, I hate to tell you this cause your going to complain,but I have to make you aware, the models permission is something that isn't required by texas law. As to the copyright of any picture taken in a public or private venue the PHOTOGRAPHER owns the copyright(unless the copyright is given to the model as part of a contract) NOT the model, or owner of an item (think pics taken by olan mills,sears or walmart photographers, the companies own the copyright to those pics not you, and thats why nobody willingly copies pics from them cause it is copyright infringment). A photographer may use any image he/she owns for any and all purposes to include monetary gain. there are some very rigid exceptions to this as in the photographer obtained the photos illegally as in placed a camera in your home without consent or any public/private privy. Essentially your friend who has a father that is a lawyer doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of doing a thing unless he wants to spend alot of money and can convince a judge to even take the case, most judges won't touch it with a sterilized fence post a mile long, the photographer won't have to defend his pics till after your friend and her lawyer have spent better than several thousand dollars to begin preping the case for filing, and that doesn't even begin to include somekind of trial. and yes I do know from experience, I am a freelance photog for certain community papers and a couple of area nightlife magazines and its been tried.
The Ice Queens enforcer