News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2010 Sewing & Garbing Projects

Started by gem, January 01, 2010, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Happy New Year, all!

I thought it might be fun to keep a running to-do list, so we can keep each other motivated (sort of like we did back in NaCoSewMo)!

One of my New Year's resolutions is to sew more, and I always think having a project list will help (of course, I reserve the right to completely change my mind about what I'd like to make throughout the year, but at least I can track that fickleness! LOL).

So... what projects do you really want to get made this year?  I'm setting myself a hugely ambitious goal (for me) of trying to make something every one-two months, so here goes (minus the couple of mundane projects I'd also like to try):

1. Gimli tunic for Milord
2. Corded corset
3. new middle-class skirt
4. doublet bodice
5. Margo Anderson Tudor kirtle
6. Promenade kirtle
7. a hand-made linen shirt (for me or Milord, I am undecided)
8. Some piece of Milord's Tudor Claus ensemble

(The first 4 items on that list should not take more than a month apiece, and if I get those done, I'll be ecstatic.  I know that the more I sew, the more I sew... so I'm hoping to get off to a great start this year!)

Who's with me?

Lady Renee Buchanan

I bought material for 3 skirts, so I want to learn how to sew (more than the 1 pair of bloomers I made last year - with lots of help).
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Tixi

A 26 yd bolt of sapphire silk heavy taffeta added to the collection, and a new Viking Designer 1 sewing/embroidery machine for Christmas... it's going to be a good year..

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Let's see here other than client projects...I plan to make...

1) The RED QUEEN from 'Alice In Wonderland'

2) Regency period clothing  for the Earl and myself for a July trip to upstate New York to celebrate his hometown's BiCentenial. There will be a Costume Ball for one of the events.

3)Make new garb for my daughter, boyfriend, and granddaughter.

Not much else going on.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Taffy Saltwater

Lady Kathleen & I are on the same page.

For fun:  Alice in Wonderland themed cancan skirt, corselette & tail coat.  Black bloomers.
             Finish Mamma Gkika ensemble, and make fingerless gloves.  Attempt blue wiglet?  Maybe.

For serious:  Gold Spanish ropa.

Maybe, just maybe, an Italian Renaissance rose and sage gown.  I need to start looking for fabric for this.

Sveethot!

Adriana Rose

Of course I have to finish my work stuff first before I get to play with the fun stuff!

But when I am done

1. Over dress out of my pretty blue striped cotten ( yay second hand store find!)
2. Make a Alice kind of dress out of the queen flat sheet i dyed a fantastic deep blue
3. A few shirts for the monster when its closer to June (hes growin like a weed)
4. A chemise for one of my Garland girls
5. and contimplate a fun skirt like the Red Queen that Lady K is going to make!
6. Maybe 1 or 2 of my tierd "princess skirts"

and hope that I dont find any distractions between here and May! *fingers crossed*

Hoowil

Hmm, project list for the year?
For me: Shirt, doublet, pants, hat. But first, decide on style and fabric.
For the wife: Bodice (she likes her old one, but I can do better now), fix/finish last year's skirts, linen chemise, hat
For the kids: Most likely 2 or 3 complete new sets of garb each, depending on how they grow. Thinking kilt for Tristan, just so I don't have to make too many things.
Misc/multi purpose: Decide what to do with purple velvet, organize & inventory stash, get new notions/tools box (and organize), build new kitchen cabinets (I stow my sewing table/cart under a cabinet in the kitchen, and tend to use it as pantry overflow as much as for sewing)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Manwariel

1. Steampunk corset and skirt, deadline March 20

2. Renaissance skirt, bodice or two, and hood, deadline April 17

3. Cloak, deadline August

4. Regency gown, deadline summer

Those are ones I want/need to make for sure. Then there are all the other possibilities for all that fabric I have lying around that I bought and never did anything with ^^

Athena

A couple more skirts and shifts. I've got broadcloth and muslin that's been stowed away for quite some time waiting to be made into something!

A sideless surcote and cotehardie.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Athena on January 02, 2010, 10:51:56 AM
A couple more skirts and shifts. I've got broadcloth and muslin that's been stowed away for quite some time waiting to be made into something!

A sideless surcote and cotehardie.

Athena, I'd love to see pictures of the surcote and cotehardie when you're done and also find out what pattern you're using.  For someone who doesn't know how to sew (me), I'm sure setting my sites high.  I've always wanted that, and that's why I'm looking forward to seeing it.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Penelope

One of my resolutions this year is to sew more often (and I got a sewing machine for Christmas, so that will make things easier). I haven't yet sat down and thought about exactly what it is I want to sew, but I shall do that and post it. Great idea, to keep people motivated. I know I'll need the help!

Selkie

1. Seaweed dress

2: Perfected sealskin

3. Perfected steampunk outfit (mainly just alterations) for the selkie persona.
"I am a woman upon the land, I am a seal in the sea..."

Lady L

For me, it seems to be one long continuation from last year and the year before that. I have some blouses to be fixed, some skirts cut out, but not sewn, some wings not finished, cuffs not grommeted. Note, these are all things for myself. I finish everyone else's garb first.

I have to make a farthingale for my oldest grandaughter, this year. (she will be 9) The youngest said she doesn't want one, so that's ok. I know the oldest will need new Middle Eastern, as she has been wearing the same one the last 3 years and has outgrown it. Same with her pirate garb. The 3 new ones I made in 09 will still fit her this year.

And for Sir R, I have a surcoat, tunic and chainmail in the works for him. I plan on learning how to make chainmail this year and I really like the dragon scales on theringlord.com! I need to find a knight's helmet for him, one with a visor that lifts up, so he can see. Which reminds me, does anyone know how to make the crest and mantling and how to attach it? I bought a griffin after halloween, but I don't know how to attach it. What else do I need ( a coronet?)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Kate XXXXXX

This is why I have no renaissance garb actually planned this year:

Customer projects booked:

Two Regency gowns: cut out and awaiting Tuits to sew up...
Another Regency Bonnet
Brown velvet throw with thermal lining
Completion of Victorian bonnet
Completion of Victorian gown with two bodices
Completion of Victorian Gents uniform jacket
Make red waistcoat to go with above
Wedding: One brides gown
             Three Bridesmaids gowns
             One Mother of the Bride outfit
Wedding: One Big Fat Gown (as in corset top and huge skirt with layers and crystals and everything!)

I've also had an inquiry about a child's dance outfit.

Personal Projects:
Finish off Elizabethan Court Gown for Ightam Mote!
1 set of brown velour smart casuals in knit velour for working (cut before Christmas)
1 coat for Big Sis to complete (polar fleece job: very cozy)
1 set of Giant Floor Cushions for Little Sis
1 king sized patchwork quilt (large pieces of textured cloth rather than small intricate cotton patchwork)
1 wedding outfit for me (for the bigger wedding set above: daughter of a dear friend)
Something for GMNT to wear to the wedding if he goes
Rework Himself's suit for the wedding.

I also want to make myself a long 1950's style winter coat!  I have my eye on some delicious purple Doeskin from Hainsworth for that.

Needless to say, some new project might be found and jammed in there somehow...

gem

Kate, one of my mundane projects is a velour sweatshirt (from this KwikSew pattern)!  I have some absolutely gorgeous pewter-grey velour, and I want to put some of my jacquard trim around the hem and neckline.  I've never worked with velour before (and don't have a serger); any tips?

Well, it's, what, the 4th already?  And I've done absolutely nothing, sewing-wise.  I guess I had a good excuse--my parents were here for the weekend *and* I was proofing the galleys for my book.  Maybe today I'll get the Gimli tunic pattern traced so I can do the alterations Kate suggested.

I've also signed up to participate in my needlework boards' Guilt-Free January stitchalong (fun stuff only, no obligation pieces, stuff you really "shouldn't" make because there's all these other projects waiting already, etc), with my corded corset being my project for that.