News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New bracers for christmas

Started by MetheGreat, January 04, 2010, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetheGreat

So, my brother decided to make everyone a gift for christmas. He asked if there was anything I wanted leather-crafted for my pirate-theamed costume. I said bracers. Now I have these really cool, custom leather bracers. But all my pirate shirts are uber-ruffle and lace, big-sleeved things. I'm planning on sewing a new shirt so I can wear my bracers, but I'm not sure how. Do I place them against the skin, or have a shirt with cuffs for the bracers to go over? I'm even thinking of some crazy rags wrapped from my knuckles to my elbows just to look kinda cool. My character is just for fun and I pride myself on not being too prim and clean for a low ranking pirate.

So, how do you wear your bracers? Do they get too sweaty against the skin? What about those sleeves bunched against the skin? Not to mention the leather stain that might happen.

Thanks everyone.

Betty Munro

Have you tried them on with the ruffled shirt?  I would think the ruffles coming out the bracer would look cool, and it would just enhance the billowy sleaves.
Not sure about staining.

crazyrennie

I normally wear mine over my shirts- Betty is correct however,
ask your brother how he is going to finish the bracers because there are some dye,stains that will transfer to cothing.

Blue66669

You should spray the backsides of the bracers with a polyurethane sealant. That will prevent any bleed.
Blaidd Drwg

gem

I wear my bracers with a shirt with long ruffled cuffs:

...But Milord has a couple of piratey shirts that have long, fitted cuffs that lace up the forearm.  Unfortunately, I didn't see a pattern for anything similar in the Big 3, but you could probably adapt something.

MetheGreat

Oh thanks for the pic, gem. That helps alot. Seeing it, makes me think one of my shirts might work, but I'm still thinking I could use a new shirt for the outfit. (any excuse, right?  ;) )  I like the looks of your bracers with your shirt, but I like to think practically. Those sleeves would be so dirty if I were wearing that.

I havent looked for a pattern, but I was thinking of adapting one I already have.

Thanks everyone.

sonofslaanesh

I wear a long tear of cloth from my upper arm to my knuckles and it does look neat and gets a lot of attention, but I'm not sure you'd want to do that with your bracers as the two together would look odd. I think the ruffled sleeves would look fine under the bracers also.