News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Working on a sgain dubh

Started by Drac, January 22, 2010, 09:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Good day all,

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Craft's forum so Mods feel free to move it if wrong.

I've been a knifemaker for almost 10 years mostly specializing in hunters and Gent's EDC (everyday carries).  I've done a few odd pieces over the years such as some fighting knives but now am trying my hand at some historical pieces.  First one will be a hunting style sgain dubh using sambar stag tine for the hilt.  Just got things cut out and still putting together a design but I'll show how it goes.

The first part -

Been squaring up the shoulders while thinking about how I want it to look when I'm done but I'm thinking of some layering or stacking on the handle around the hilt.  I have some mother of pearl that might work or some spacers of damascus that don't have anything better to do.

Drac
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

robert of armstrong

Keep us updated, that is going to look good.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Drac

Well here's step 2.  Since it cost's a fortune to start the kiln I normally do a batch.  Here is the current group -

Between each gives a good idea of all the steps from bar to heat treat.  The top right (GP Hunter) is ready for the heat treat.  It's a commission with the ebony.  The three smaller ones around the middle are ready to have the blades ground.  Pearl with the top small one (a Gent's EDC) and stag and micarta for the sqian dubh.  Not sure what I'm going to use on the dagger but I have some materials coming in as trade.  The one on the top is going to be a dress drop point hunter (Classic Loveless) with seraphinite gem stone.  This is where I just got it cut out from the bar stock.  The last one on the right is another of the hunters just scribed on the bar stock ready to cut out.  This is going with some ironwood burl.  Dressy but still very usable for a handle.

Back to the historical piece.  Here is a up close of the sgian dubh ready to grind.  I like cleaning them up before grinding making it easier to finish after the primary bevel is ground.  The shoulders have been squared up and the tang narrowed.  While looking for a hunting style one I will be dressing it up somewhat with spacing material at the top.  Probably will be two pieces of the ivory micarta with some thin black spacing material between each of the pieces between the hilt and the handle.

More to come,
Drac

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Drac

On a couple other forums I'm doing a detailed step by step of the sgain dubh.  Some of you will see it over on X-Marks the Scot but would you want it duplicated here for those who abstain from kilt wearing?

Drac

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Drac on January 26, 2010, 08:45:01 PM
On a couple other forums I'm doing a detailed step by step of the sgain dubh.  Some of you will see it over on X-Marks the Scot but would you want it duplicated here for those who abstain from kilt wearing?

Drac

Yes please, very much!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

bran_gray

I am also very interested to see how this turns out.

You do some excellent work for being a hobbyist btw  :D

Drac

Here you go.  Started a new thread so people know what they are getting into -

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=10683.0

Thank you for the complement.  I've had some good teachers over the years.

Drac