News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When you date someone who isn't a rennie...

Started by Finnian, January 24, 2010, 12:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Michael Geare

Glad to hear that she is willing to dress up and match you.  I would suggest that you not pressure her to interact on the same level as you.  Give her time to find her own groove since it will be a new experience for her.  She is doing it for you so just enjoy the day and see how things go from there.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

Finnian

Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on January 26, 2010, 09:24:09 PM
Glad to hear that she is willing to dress up and match you.  I would suggest that you not pressure her to interact on the same level as you.  Give her time to find her own groove since it will be a new experience for her.  She is doing it for you so just enjoy the day and see how things go from there.

I don't know if she's really doing it FOR me, I think I sort of inspired her maybe? She's been doing a lot of research on her own without me saying peep. >> I'm happy if she puts up with me, let alone go to faire OR dress up. Those are just bonuses. XD

Auryn

I am very happy for you Finnian.
I know the feeling.
When my boyfriend and I first got together several years ago I was already a full fledged rennie.
He had never even been to faire.
When I started to explain it to him he took to it like a duck to water.
Now we go in full garb together and he sometimes spends more time online looking and thinking about garb than I do.

I really hope it works out for you.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Finnian

Quote from: Auryn on January 29, 2010, 12:01:43 PM
I am very happy for you Finnian.
I know the feeling.
When my boyfriend and I first got together several years ago I was already a full fledged rennie.
He had never even been to faire.
When I started to explain it to him he took to it like a duck to water.
Now we go in full garb together and he sometimes spends more time online looking and thinking about garb than I do.

I really hope it works out for you.

Yeah, she's already ordered some things for her outfit, and has sketched out some ideas for things. I can't wait! XD It should be funny since her character talks and mine doesn't. How very Marx it shall be!

Imestra

Finnian - do try to post pictures of you & yours as you assemble these characters.  
This sounds fantastik!!
Is it goofy that I don't really grok 'pooka wolfy'  ???

PS - post in Garbing forums, that would be great.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

Dayna

You and she both may find that garb makes a big difference in "the fourth wall".  Me in civilian clothes vs me in garb are two such different sides of my personality that I have been accused of having multiple personality disorder.  Nope, got the Dr. records to prove it, it's all due to the clothes. 

In civilians I'm Dayna, dreadfully shy with rules and expectations that I must remain within.  In garb, I'm my character, out-going, flirty, ebullient, spontaneous and free to be and do whatever (within the bounds of good taste, morality and legality).

Let her take her time, encourage and praise her efforts, enlist a few "safe" people for her to start with maybe. 
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Finnian

Personality wise....everyone who knows me in person sort of knows me only as a crazy faun XD garb is just more fur than normal, and no talking....maybe a tiny bit more sniffing things.. >> I'm a bit of an odd person in regular clothing. ^^::

She's doing well, I haven't pushed her, but she's bought some supplies and has started making stuff on her own accord, which is pretty cool. She even went ahead and took more time off so she could attend more days of faire. She's so excited!!

Lord Clisto of York

I have to say that even after 30 some years of marriage, My wife still isnt a rennie and isnt ever interested in being one. Although she has gone like one day every 5 years. I never pushed and I just go do my thing in and out of town by myself and always have. She doesnt hate it and likes that I like it, but thats it. Not ever been a biggie for me. I go, do my thing and enjoy.

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Finnian

Quote from: sir clisto on February 06, 2010, 09:42:26 PM
I have to say that even after 30 some years of marriage, My wife still isnt a rennie and isnt ever interested in being one. Although she has gone like one day every 5 years. I never pushed and I just go do my thing in and out of town by myself and always have. She doesnt hate it and likes that I like it, but thats it. Not ever been a biggie for me. I go, do my thing and enjoy.

Lord Clisto

Well it's cool that she's alright with it. When ever my stepfather wants to do something, like dress up for faire or something, my mother get's all nasty about how much a "waste of money it is" and blah blah. Yet the rest of us think $10,000 for a broken hot tub no one can use is a way bigger waste of money. That money could have put me through college or something lol.

Lord Clisto of York

I hear you Finnian. That's true.. Do I wish she had an interest? Yes.. But, its ok with me since I can just go and not have to worry about anything. At times in the past she hasnt liked some of the times I have been gone in a stretch for it, but we have talked about it ahead of time and she knows when I am going and can make any plans around it. I have also given up some faire days to do other things. But all in all she is like "have fun". Now with performing more and being paid ok for it, it all works out.

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished