News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where's Father Simon? Who's up to the challenge?

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, February 21, 2010, 07:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

Many of you will remember Father Simon, those newer to the forum might not.  Father Simon took the most wonderful pictures at BARF. By the end of the season, he had over a thousand pictures.  After each weekend, he would post the pictures from that weekend right in the threads, none of this "click here on the link" stuff.

It was how I got to "know" BARF without ever being there, and partly one of the reasons (besides our dear forum friends) that Steve and I decided to drive down in 2007 for what became the first St. Molden's weekend.

Father Simon has not attended faire in a few years now, and I haven't been seeing many pictures on this thread like in the good old days.  So is there another "Father Simon" photographer out there?  Or an aspiring "Father Simon"?

I want to see lots of BARF pictures again!  Well, we'll be there in 3 weeks, but I'd love to get my BARF fix before we go.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

eloquentXI

You won't see any of my photos until after you've gone to BARF and come home since I'll be enjoying it alongside you for St. Moldens...

;D

I'm no Father Simon, in fact, just call me Meg but there will be lots and lots of photos taken the weekend I am out there. I can't guarantee how many of them will come out well but I usually have a few gems in the snaps I take all weekend.

I would love to see more photos of this faire too so whose got all the evidence?  :D

Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Athena

Eloquent, can't wait to see your pictures! I agree with Renee, we need more picture threads, especially since the date of the invasion is getting closer.

I miss Father Simon.  :( I hope he's doing well, wherever he is.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Kate

Most of us post them on our Facebook pages (easier to hide from stalker students of mine!).  They're, of course, nothing amazing, just our view of BARF when we remember to take out our cameras.
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Anna Iram

I was gonna say about the same thing. Didn't want to be accused of bashing Facebook.  :D The social networking environment has chanced dramatically in the past few years. Certainly in our own group the advent of Facebook and the general appeal of having your own private page tends to lead people away from all the open conversations and reams of pictures we used to have. Other things changed of course too.

I miss Father Simon too. He was a good faire friend I thought and of course an awesome photographer. Always generous with his shots and kind enough to post only flattering pictures.  :)

I miss Tampa T too. A master at taking a shot of you as you walked by and your never having seen him. I used to tease him about going in disguise as a potted palm. A fun game of catch him if we can, though never with the intent of ever really catching him. :)

I guess sometimes people just move on and find new things to discover.

As for how pictures are posted, I agree it's nice to see page after page of pictures unfolding. There is something very pleasing about that. It does though seem that most photographers here post a handful on the page and then leave the rest to be opened in a link. I'm not really sure if it's for their own ease and efficiency or to help the pages load faster here. I recall there being a discussion, but I couldn't find the answer. I'll shoot a few notes off and see how the admin feel about it all. If it won't present any problems with our site here I have no problem either way.

NoBill Lurker

If I FINALLY make to Faire this weekend I will gladly be taking and posting all the pictures I can... ;D

Gotta break in my new Canon T1i, don't cha know!

(crosses fingers for good health... ::) )
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Anna Iram

I miss those days too WW. It was, I think, a more innocent time.

Well Bill, looks like you are hired. :) Congrats on the new camera. I wish I had a new one, I'd challenge you to a duel. Not of course that *I* am doing any better at getting to faire...

I'm still waiting for clarification on the preference for posting pics in the forums.

Madge Estes

I miss Father Simon very much.  It was very nice to see him last year in another guise, walking incognito among the crowds.

As to photos, check out the Bay Area Renaissance Festival Facebook page.  There are some wonderful shots there, with accompanying links to more.  Indeed, we have some photo artist successors.
Live so your dreams recognize you.

Welsh Wench

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Madge Estes on February 23, 2010, 09:27:53 AM
I miss Father Simon very much.  It was very nice to see him last year in another guise, walking incognito among the crowds.

As to photos, check out the Bay Area Renaissance Festival Facebook page.  There are some wonderful shots there, with accompanying links to more.  Indeed, we have some photo artist successors.

I just wish the pictures were posted on here, like they used to be.  It was so nice to scroll down and down looking at pictures.  It really made me feel like I knew people in the pictures, from their posts here.  And when we finally got to another faire, we found forum members very easily, and it was like meeting up with old friends.

That's what I miss.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on February 21, 2010, 07:47:27 AM
I want to see lots of BARF pictures again!  Well, we'll be there in 3 weeks, but I'd love to get my BARF fix before we go.   ;D

I'll see if I can oblige on Sunday. I do have a slightly old (just a bit before DSLR became affordable for the common rabble) camera with a relatively nice lens. I'm slightly out of practice with my photography as it is.

I might be able to persuade Phil to take more photos... his camera is much easier to hide in a belt pouch than mine is.  

Anna Iram

I double checked with DB about the preference for posting pictures. As nice as it is to see all the pictures laud out on a thread it *is* better to only post a few of the best and then a link to the rest. Not everyone has super fast connections and that way no one has to be stuck with slooow page loads.

Maybe those that take a *huge* amount of photos could pick their best for each day and put them in a a special linked folder. That way we'll all see the edited show and can go to the full folder to see the entire weekend shots when we wish. A thought.

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: Anna Iram on February 23, 2010, 10:04:21 PM
Maybe those that take a *huge* amount of photos could pick their best for each day and put them in a a special linked folder. That way we'll all see the edited show and can go to the full folder to see the entire weekend shots when we wish. A thought.

I have access to a photo gallery if I happen to take an unsightly number of photos.

eloquentXI

I'll post a couple of my favorites when I'm out in a couple weeks but if I post ALL of them, it will overload the thread and will be a complain pain in the arse.

Though I should have my pretty new gallery by then.  ;D
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Anna Iram

Unsightly,  :D Would never say that about anyones faire photos, or any amount. It's just that this debate over links to photo albums vs posting several dozen, or more here has been tossed about for a while. I was looking for a solution to some of the thoughts. Personally I like seeing any and all pictures, but it just isn't practical on our site.

Eloquent, you're starting your own gallery?  Nice. :)