News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Does anyone know?

Started by Element of Air, March 01, 2010, 07:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Element of Air

I was contacted by a friend of mine who heard news of 290 being blocked for miles and she was not sure why and wanted to be sure we made it home from Sherwood alright.

I just found this in the news and wanted to make sure everyone was alright. Does anyone know anything about this information?

I pray that the families of those involved that they be strong in this trying time, and that those who passed were not of the rennie community.

BASTROP COUNTY

Three killed in multicar crash at U.S. 290, Texas 21

Three people were killed in a car wreck Sunday afternoon at Texas 21 and U.S. 290 near Paige, in northeast Bastrop County, said a dispatcher with the Texas Department of Public Safety.

On Sunday night, the dispatcher said he did not have more information because troopers were still at the scene investigating. He said more than one vehicle was involved.

Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

Gwen aka Punstergal

According to the news in Austin. The three killed were all kids, who were NOT wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident. The person who hit them TRIED to avoid them, but was unable to, and has been cleared of wrongdoing, as he HAD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY... the driver of the caravan that was struck had gotten off U.S. 290 onto Highway 21 and then tried to get back onto Highway 290 when they were hit by the Dodge pickup truck who did not see what they were trying until it was too late.

As much as I feel for the two mothers that were in the vehicle, I am VERY angry with them at the same time... only an idiot drives ON A FREAKING HIGHWAY with their kids loose in the truck-it's absolutely criminal.

The articles say the caravan was on it's way back to Houston from Austin.
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

dfloyd888

When leaving SWFF, I saw a gathering of 7-10 emergency vehicles in the rear view (I was heading west to Austin), and I saw at least the same amount en route from places as far away as Elgin.  I knew it was serious when I saw ambulances coming back with the lights off, and more ambulances rushing to the scene at the same time.

Very tragic. :(

Macintyre

i saw the accident when i left the faire.  traffic hadn't been backed up yet, but there were cops and EMS vehicles there, 4:30pm, and more on the way since they pasted me on going the opoisite way on 21

mpullen

There were two separate accidents.

The one on the Highway 21 overpass over Highway 290 was the triple fatality.

Another one happened shortly afterwards on Highway 290 just west of the Highway 21 overpass. It was a double fatality.

Queen Bonnie

That is horrible! I saw all the ambulances passing me when I left faire.  2 accidents! Be careful folks!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

LadyElizabeth

There was a car flipped and a truck that hit a tree on 290 going toward Austin right near 21.  It was a very scary accident indeed! 

I'd also like to know if any rennies were involved in this.  No idea about it though.
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Zardoz

Unfortunatly, it seems a lot of accidents happen around that intersection.

http://www.kbtx.com/local/headlines/85832497.html

Be extra careful around there!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lord Dragonspyre

Quote from: Gwen aka Punstergal on March 01, 2010, 08:01:22 PMAs much as I feel for the two mothers that were in the vehicle, I am VERY angry with them at the same time... only an idiot drives ON A FREAKING HIGHWAY with their kids loose in the truck-it's absolutely criminal.

Possibly moreso than you'd think...

The mothers could also be facing criminal charges. I'm not sure of the legal precedent, but the mothers letting the kids ride without a seat belt (the law expressly states that all children under 17 years old that do not require a safety seat MUST wear a seatbelt) could possibly be grounds for charges of misdemeanor-manslaughter (a lesser version of felony murder, and covers a person who causes the death of another while committing a misdemeanour – that is, a violation of law which doesn't rise to the level of a felony. This may automatically lead to a conviction for the homicide, if the misdemeanor involved a law designed to protect human life) or involuntary manslaughter (manslaughter resulting from the failure to perform a legal duty expressly required to safeguard human life, from the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to a felony, or from the commission of a lawful act involving a risk of injury or death that is done in an unlawful, reckless, or grossly negligent manner) to be brought against them. Granted, it's possible that no charges will be filed, as the death of their children is more than sufficient punishment, but an up-and-coming prosecutor trying to make his bones could go for it.
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery