News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Input needed for possible makeup. (Fae/Faun character)

Started by Finnian, January 25, 2010, 04:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finnian

Hi there! I hope this is ok to post here. If not, sorry! ^^

Anywho, I portray a faun as most of you know, and I REALLY am into body-art like how the Fantastikals have at Bristol Faire. If you haven't seen my "legs" (as in the ones I wear for garb), they are shades of light green with dark green swirls, all handpainted on white fur. I have sleeves that match and have "hoof hands" also. I alternate between regular elf-like ears, and goat-like ear prosthetics depending on the day/event, and have two different sets of horns (one born, the other green and gold and shiny).

So, I was trying to think of either some relatively simple, or even more complex makeup design I could work into the character without it overpowering my face, since my character doesn't speak in the human tongues...

I was thinking of possibly something just around the eye area, or maybe coming down from my hairline...

I don't have a photo of myself in "full garb" but to see an example of my legs/sleeves, I will include a picture (a bit dark, but you get the idea). My normal shirt I wear is a flat green with orange-ish stitching, pointy hood, no sleeves, but does have matching arm warmers for when I don't wear the hoof gloves.

(I'm such a hipster faun in my teeshirt and my popculter references. Hah.)

Queen_of_Navarre

I think it would look perfect to have the shades of light and dark green swirls repeated along the eyes and cheeks.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Finnian

Quote from: Queen_of_Navarre on January 25, 2010, 07:16:29 PM
I think it would look perfect to have the shades of light and dark green swirls repeated along the eyes and cheeks.

Think I could put some lighter green like around my eyes, and then have it fade into the darker green around my hairline/edge of my face, and have the swirls "coming out" of that part into the lighter areas?

Tammy

That sounds really good!!!

I'm planning on making hooves, and fur pants/goat legs pretty soon. Would you mind PM'ing me with any hints or tips, or ideas you have on making them. I'd really appreciate it!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

dfloyd888

I can see some ideas, especially if you are good with an airbrush.  The thing the Fantastikals definitely have is the top notch airbrush artist, and even though it would take a bit of time to pull of, it would look very good.

One idea for a faun is what the guys at Aradani came up with, their faun latex mask.  It may not be what you are going for, but it looks very good.

Niennis

I agree with the swirls idea, that would make you look earthy and mystic at the same time.

On another note, from someone who is often a faun:

THOSE LEGS ARE AMAZING! Are those the ones made by Magpie Bones? They are just perfect!
Hey, why not?

Finnian

OMG are you the person I'm discussing handhooves with on LJ? LMAO. Yes they're from Magpie. :) Matching set!

And I did some makeup for the first weekend, but didn't like it in photos, so going to change it up next time...

Niennis

lol, I'm not, but I am a big ol' furry, so I'm around LJ a lot :D
Your faun is going to look AWESOME! I'm about to work on one, but I always get stuck on the hooves..
Hey, why not?

Finnian

Heehee you ARE the person from the fursuit community! (I'm hoofbombs on lj).

I hope you get an AWESOME outfit together! I can't wait to see!

Niennis

Oh, I thought you meant on pms!
LOL, how awesome is that?

I'm making a terrifying creeper for next year's faires (TN and CO), and she has hoof hands :D
My faun just has the lower hooves :P

I LOVE the colours on your faun, you look like you crawled out of some moss!
Hey, why not?