News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Majestic Velvet/Royal Coffers

Started by ItsTheBishop, March 10, 2010, 09:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsTheBishop

I recently received my order from Royal Coffers/Majestic Velvet. I know some R/F'ers have indicated that they had quality issues, but so far the Jerkin/sleeveless doublet and breeches seem to be decently made. I may or may not actually get a chance to wear them to faire this season, as I still need to purchase a new shirt and a pair of boots.

The only real downside is that the doublet is brocade on the front and velvet on the back. I've never owned one that wasn't all brocade or all velvet, but for $80, I guess it can't be beat.

Just figured I'd make mention of this.

Kate

My step-dad purchased from Royal Coffers and the pants fit him oddly.  He took them in to his tailor who had to take them completely apart and remake them.

Maybe it was a bad set for them, but he refuses to purchase from them again.

I, on the otherhand, purchased a pair of pants from her that are incredibly simple and I LOVE them.

Hope you enjoy your new stuff!  See you this weekend?
Kate
Pink'n Penny

ItsTheBishop

As far as I know, yeah, I'll be there. :)

Thanks for the tip. I haven't actually tried the breeches/pants on yet.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Having worked on Royal Coffers purchases made by Lady Renee Buchannan of this forum several years back, I must be honest and say that the quality of work was less than desirable. The garments did not fit right and were mass produced. They all look the same in pattern, but different colors.

I tore Lady Renee's ensemble apart and rebuilt it from scratch.

The Doublet was more of a Tabbard with the Brocade front and Rayon Velvet back. The fabrics were underlined in Black Denim for body, serged, then top stitched hems.The grommetts popped out easily. Rather than cording with bolo tips at the ends, narrow grosgrain ribbon. I ended up making Lord Stephen a whole new Doublet with a Brocade/Chenile fabric I had in my stash because I could get a Doublet large enough to fit him with what fabric was already there. I ended up making Lady Renee a whole new bodice from the Doublet fabric.

The elastic waist banded pants fit lord Stephen like a pair of bikini bottoms. The short rise in the crotch was not measured correctly. I had to add a 14" panel to the front and back of pants and make a new casing.

I apologize for sounding snarky. But items sold for cheap on eBay are just that, cheap.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on March 10, 2010, 10:26:51 PM
I apologize for sounding snarky. But items sold for cheap on eBay are just that, cheap.

Yes, they are. I don't think I would necessarily purchase from this particular retailer again.

dragongirl

They are good for first-timers and High School costume dramas.  I have a Majestic Velvet gown that a friend gave me.  I love it because of who gave it to me not because of the quality.  That being said, if you want the look of noble court garb but not the expense they are a good option or a nice better quality halloween costume.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

RumbaRue

I bought a nice bodice from them and have had no issues. In fact I'm thinking of purchasing the matching skirt for a very nice look when I want it.
I don't wear the bodice for everyday stuff at events. Because it's so nice, I only wear it when I feel the want to be more of the 'wealthy' set.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

auntiegiggles

I also have a gown from Majestic Velvet.  I purchased it knowing I was going to alter it.  I wanted a basic gown for my first so I could add whatever trim and beading I wanted.  Which I did for last year's faire.  I don't have a pic of me in the altered gown as of yet.  My only issue with the gown was the pearled sleeves.  I ended up taking them in by about 3 inches.  My arms drowned in the original sleeves.   They were not a nice fit.  Luckily i have a little talent with a needle and thread.  :D
Everything goes better with giggles

Queen_of_Navarre

I have several Royal  Coffers gowns. Yes, some are better made then others, and all I have done some sort of revamping.  I do like them for the price.
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This is the Royal Coffers gown I rebuilt for Lady Renee Buchannan back in 2007.

After tearing the skirt apart, another panel of like Rayon Velvet was added to make a fuller skirt. Due to the way the skirt was cut out originally in fluted panels, there was not enough width at the waist to pleat. So I did a gathering stitch instead. Made a waistband with clasps. Added trims with pearls.

The Bodice was a complete remake from Lord Stephen's original Tabbard. Lady Renee's original Bodice kept slipping off her shoulders despite twice lifting. The problem was the bodice was too wide no matter what I did. SO I remade the bodice seen in the photo using the Altr Years Bodice pattern to eliminate the drooping off the shoulders. I underlined the fabric in 2 layers of  Cotton Canvas Duck, added boning for support, redid the shoulder and waist treatments, resewed the wide Bias tape to finish the edges, then the lining. The Bodice laces in the back than on the sides. A modesty panel was added to accomodate weight fluctuations. There are brass grommets that will never come out. The original grommets popped out easily.

The Brocaded fabric that made the forepart, was trimmed down to sew onto Broadcloth for a seperate underskirt. The original skirt is sewn together, then finished  with an elastic waistband.

A $90 purchase on eBay turned into an almost $400 makeover. But well worth it as Lady Renee receives numerous compliments when she is seen wearing her revamped ensemble.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Dayna

I have seen in person Lady Renee's garment, the quality of the rework is amazing.  Of course, I had my own issue with a Royal Coffers gown, why anyone would make a skirt weighing 25 pounds and use elastic in the waist was beyond me, I returned it and vowed never to buy from them again.  Having done reworks before, my strong suggestion is to bite the bullet and pay for a good garment in the first place.
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: Dayna on March 16, 2010, 07:48:05 PM
I have seen in person Lady Renee's garment, the quality of the rework is amazing.  Of course, I had my own issue with a Royal Coffers gown, why anyone would make a skirt weighing 25 pounds and use elastic in the waist was beyond me, I returned it and vowed never to buy from them again.  Having done reworks before, my strong suggestion is to bite the bullet and pay for a good garment in the first place.

That's very likely for next season. I purchased it to create an inexpensive second costume for this season, but I've already spent quite a lot on garb for one year.

Kate

So when will the new garb be debuted???
Kate
Pink'n Penny

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: Kate on March 16, 2010, 08:06:12 PM
So when will the new garb be debuted???

When I stop being cheap and decide to spring for boots and a shirt to wear with it.

Cateyes

I bought a doublet from them and the eyelets came out the first time it was laced up.