News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Nashville's 'Musica' is victim of a Celtic fashionable prank

Started by renfairephotog, March 18, 2010, 11:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfairephotog

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100318/NEWS01/3180359/Nashville+s++Musica++is+victim+of+a+fashionable+prank

Usually, the naked statues of Music Row greet St. Patrick's Day the way they do every other day of the year — with the wearin' of the green, and not much else.

But this year, the 15-foot-tall bronze nudes that make up the iconic Musica sculpture had more covering their curves than a green patina.

This St. Patrick's Day found the green people dressed for the occasion in giant plaid kilts, fetching peasant blouses, Celtic brooches and at least one huge sword strapped across a bronze back.

Someone — and no one has stepped forward to claim credit for the epic prank — tailored enormous outfits and snuck them onto statues more than twice the size of a normal human, in the middle of a downtown traffic roundabout, without getting caught.
"Rumor has it, they were hemmed by leprechauns and raised on high by fairies," said Quinn O'Sullivan, owner of the neighboring Dan McGuinness Irish pub. "It's probably the coolest prank ever pulled in Nashville."

O'Sullivan disavowed knowledge of who was responsible for the prank, although suspicion immediately fell on the pub itself. Possibly because bar staffers were able to quote the retail value of the materials involved in kilting half a dozen giant statues — about $4,000 — when questioned.

Musica's sculptor, Nashville artist Alan LeQuire, had no comment on the new accessories on his work.

O'Sullivan said there were no attempts by police or others to strip the statue.

"Even the police are laughing," said O'Sullivan, whose patrons spent the day snapping pictures of the odd sight.

When asked for reaction, spokeswomen for the mayor's office and Metro Public Works reacted mainly by laughing. The reaction was shared by almost everyone who saw the dressed-up dancing statues.

"It's hilarious. Whoever did this is a genius. They should dress these guys up for every holiday," pub patron Larry Smith said.

This wasn't a bunch of vandals tossing bedsheets and toilet paper over a statue. This was the work of skilled prank craftsmen and/or women who were willing to go to the considerable time and expense to tailor outfits. The statues' skirts were hemmed and pleated, the Celtic belts, sashes, brooches and weaponry were detailed and perfectly to scale for their giant subjects.

"I want to know where they got clothes big enough to fit it," said Sydney Sharpe, wearing her own leprechaun hat in solidarity with the dressed-up statues. "I think it was a leprechaun. Yeah."
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Lady Nicolette

Couldn't help wondering if it wasn't someone one of us knows...
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Welsh Wench

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Nicolette

Highly likely...After all, they just might have been drinking...

CapnFayeCutler

Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

BamaWoodsman

Lady Catherine

Hilarious!!!

but, that took some ingenuity on their part, after all, they ARE 15  feet tall. Not a spur-of-the-moment thing....

BRAVO!
2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

CapnFayeCutler

Quote from: renfairephotog on March 18, 2010, 03:46:04 PM
Do you have an alibi?

Actually, no I don't...Hehe  ::)
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575

Mixsae

Lady Nicolette

I'm amazed no one did this before, but perhaps in cowboy hats or something the like.  Leave it to the Celts to lead the way!

CapnFayeCutler

I have to go see these guys perform now, JUST because of the prank!

I think a lot of other people will try to do it now, but it'll never be as GREAT as the original!
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

dbaldock

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

An interesting article about Toby Willis, the father of the talented family of performers.

Wrestlingpod.com - Toby Willis - TheMat's Wrestler of the Week

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

The Southern Illinois Irish Festival in Carbondale is going to have the Willis Clan performing on Saturday evening, April 24, 2010.

silirishfest.org - 2010 Entertainment

Take Care,
David Baldock

Gimli

I was at Dan McGuinness Feb 14th and heard them sing, that was great and now they have went up one more notch.
Now you can't really blame that on me.