News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Chemise

Started by LAVAGODDESSSS, August 18, 2011, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAVAGODDESSSS

Hello ladies *and gents*

So over time, I'm noticing the great chasm that could be filled with chemise/top options. I'm tired of seeing people's 'ladies' hanging out far too much. But I also am not a fan of totally covering them up (I DID push them up with this corset, so I at least want to show a tad bit).

Anyways, I'm searching Etsy, and I've found af ew options. Currently I'm wearing a black short sleeved blouse that is form fitting all over, with a scoopneck. But it's getting so worn out that it's pilling.

So where do you get your fav blouses? I order all my corsets and skirts from Damsel, and it needs to be black, though I could go with a pristine white. I'm looking for short and long-sleeve options, and it doesn't necessarily have to be like my old one.

My garb tends to be middle-class, lots of reds, blacks, and even a dark green. I have a leather riding hat with peacock and ostrich feathres (in complimenting peacock colors).  If that helps at all.

I'm tall, 6', so I need something longish. If it's long sleeves, I have to be able to have those long too. 

I would so appreciate your guidance, and if htere is a thread already (that I haven't found), would you be so kind as to point it out!
Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

isabelladangelo

If you are interested in making your own, chemises are ridiculously simple.  However, there are several awesome companies out there that won't charge an arm and a leg.   

http://www.sofisstitches.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=172

I haven't bought from them but I do know of several people that have and have been quite happy with their outfits.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 18, 2011, 07:55:38 PM
If you are interested in making your own, chemises are ridiculously simple.  However, there are several awesome companies out there that won't charge an arm and a leg.   

http://www.sofisstitches.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=172

I haven't bought from them but I do know of several people that have and have been quite happy with their outfits.

Heh, you don't want to see me sew. Everyone has their talents, I hope people pay for my web design skills rather than do it themselves. I'll pay the professionals to do this. I've attempted a LOT of things in my life, but I can only sew on buttons. I'm hopeless. :(

LOL, anyone want a logo done or some business cards in exchange for a chemise? I kid..I kid.

Thank you Isabella!

Plus I don't know how to adjust patterns, i'm really tall (6') so a lot of patterns have to be adjusted, and that is beyond me. :(

LAVAGODDESSSS

I wonder if maybe I said it wrong. I don't want anything that goes to the floor. I just want something that goes to my hips. Is that still a chemise?

Lady Renee Buchanan

I love my Heart's Delight chemise.  I've had it for 2 years, bought it from a woman from the Wench's Forum, and it still looks brand new.  Mine is long sleeved, but they have short sleeves, too.  The front neckline is one of the prettiest I've seen.  It is their trademark.

I also have 2 chemises from Ophelia, one short sleeved, and 1 with elastic in 2 places to make a "pouf."  They are comfortable and well-made, too.

I also have some I made.  I am a very beginning sew-er, and they really were easy!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

isabelladangelo

Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 18, 2011, 08:14:53 PM
I wonder if maybe I said it wrong. I don't want anything that goes to the floor. I just want something that goes to my hips. Is that still a chemise?

Nope, that's a peasant blouse.  A lot of stores at the mall still sell them.  However, it would be pure fantasy if you go about it that way.   Anything not white (or off white, or yellowish white) is not correct for an undergarment against the skin prior to really the 20th c.   (Remember wearing white undershirts?  There was a good reason.  Think red sock in with the whites.)  All ladies smocks and chemises came down to the mid calf at least until about the late 19th c without much exception.  

Nighthawk

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 18, 2011, 09:36:11 PM

Nope, that's a peasant blouse.  A lot of stores at the mall still sell them.  However, it would be pure fantasy if you go about it that way.   Anything not white (or off white, or yellowish white) is not correct for an undergarment against the skin prior to really the 20th c.   (Remember wearing white undershirts?  There was a good reason.  Think red sock in with the whites.)  All ladies smocks and chemises came down to the mid calf at least until about the late 19th c without much exception.  

All very true. There are, however, ways around that, if the concern is the warmth generated the layers that a full length chemise and a dress. A petticoat has been around for a long, long time: http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=290 Nice thing about the petticoat is that it hides the fact that you're wearing a peasant blouse and not a full chemise. This has been my wife's solution to the problem of overheating at summer events.

DonaCatalina

http://www.tudordressing.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&gclid=CNrByY2L26oCFYfD7Qod9SWZ7A
These people have drawstring neck cemises that are about knee length. They offer both cotton and linen.
The problem with a hip length peasant blouse is that it will tend to creep up around your waist, causing bunching and gappage.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Nighthawk on August 18, 2011, 10:02:57 PM

All very true. There are, however, ways around that, if the concern is the warmth generated the layers that a full length chemise and a dress. A petticoat has been around for a long, long time: http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=290 Nice thing about the petticoat is that it hides the fact that you're wearing a peasant blouse and not a full chemise. This has been my wife's solution to the problem of overheating at summer events.

Why would you wear a petticoat to a summer event?  An h/a chemise out of lovely tissue weight linen is far better than a peasant blouse.  It's what they wore in Italy (and a slightly different style in Turkey) where it gets HOT.   That with an Italian style dress out of light weight materials works wonderfully in the summer.  It's about keeping your neckline open and wearing proper materials.  I've found my cotton chemises to be much warmer than any of the linen ones and the tissue linen is barely there.   

Lady Renee Buchanan

LavaGoddesss, you didn't say if you wanted it to be historically accurate.  If you are looking for historically accurate, then the follow the advice given.

If you're not, than any of the vendors listed will give you a nice chemise at a good price.  Other vendors are Very Merry Seamstress, and our own forum member Lady Kathleen of Olmsted who can custom make it to the length you need, including arm measurements.

I have both long and hip length chemises, and have never had a hip length one bunch up.  If it was only to my waist, I think that might be a problem, but with a bodice on, the hip length one doesn't bunch up.  I don't worry about H/A, so mine are in all different colors.

Wear what you enjoy and want to portray and don't worry about anything else.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

arbcoind

I have two full length draw string neck chemises from Sofi's Stitches.  I've had the black one for 4 or 5 years and it has held up wonderfully.  It's machine wash and dry and the color has not faded nor is the fabric showing any signs of wear.  I've worn the white one for 3 years and it's holding up as well.   It also is machine wash and dry and with a little stain remover, it's still very white.  Both chemises are very full and very comfortable.

Gina

TheAlchemistsStar

I have four chemises/peasant blouses from My Elegant Muse on Etsy.  She did a great job.  Two are an off white/linen color and two are black.  She can do drawstring or elastic in the neckline.  I really love that she was able to tweak her design a bit on the short sleeve ones so that I could be a bit more comfy.  Her pricing was great, too. 
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 18, 2011, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 18, 2011, 08:14:53 PM

I'm not a fan of H/A. So it wouldn't bother me.

I wear Damsel bodices, because they flatter more than are H/A. So I'm going the route of "Wearing the pieces" but I go outside the norm with the details.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on August 19, 2011, 06:00:10 AM
LavaGoddesss, you didn't say if you wanted it to be historically accurate.  If you are looking for historically accurate, then the follow the advice given.

If you're not, than any of the vendors listed will give you a nice chemise at a good price.  Other vendors are Very Merry Seamstress, and our own forum member Lady Kathleen of Olmsted who can custom make it to the length you need, including arm measurements.

I have both long and hip length chemises, and have never had a hip length one bunch up.  If it was only to my waist, I think that might be a problem, but with a bodice on, the hip length one doesn't bunch up.  I don't worry about H/A, so mine are in all different colors.

Wear what you enjoy and want to portray and don't worry about anything else.

First, thank you everyone! I really have a list now, but I'm learning I dont' want so much as a chemise (I do not want a shirt longer than my hips). I think I'm looking more for a peasant top. I really do appreciate all the help!

Second, Lady Renee - you hit the nail on the head.
the last thing I actually need or want to be is H/A. If it happens, awesome. If not...*shrugs* I like the ideas of a general time period. But I'm more inclined to wear something if A) it looks good B) makes me feel good to wear it and C) It's a color I like and D) If I am relatively comfortable.

I don't mind if others are HA, I'm sure it's fun! But I'm not at all concerned about it. As you said, "Wear what you enjoy and want to portray and don't worry about anything else."
THANK YOU. I may try to get ahold of someone on the forum to make what I need. I really just wanta  short-sleeve peasant blouse with a length that is long enough (I"m tall) but not to my knees. I need it black and want it to be a smidge special. I don't know what that is, but I want a bit different. I'll be going through all the suggestions.

But if anyone has anyone that does peasant tops, let me know (and I won't be going to hte mall to get them. That's a crap shoot and I'm too tall for clothes at the mall. It'll make me hate shopping even more and ruin my love of the ren faire - I hate the mall.