News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

King's Feast?

Started by Zardoz, June 01, 2008, 11:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

Opinions on the King's Feast at TRF ?? I've never been. What happens there, Hows the food? Is it worth the money?  I have a friend that wants to go this year.  ???
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Sir Martin

In all my years of attending TRF, I've never gone to the Feast.  I do know several people, however, who make it almost every year.  They tell me the food and drink are great.  I understand the Feast Hall is climate controlled and, of course, the entertainment comes to you.  I'd say give it a try.   :)

LadyJessica

I do think it's worth the money.  It's a full five course meal, plus you get a tankard (that's what it's been in the past), and it includes your ticket in.  So you have to figure the feast is $95 if you take out the ticket price ($21) and the price of the tankard ($30ish) it's only $44 for a five course meal and all the alcohol you can drink.  If you think about it I can usually finish off about 6 drinks (wine) while in there which at bar prices ($4 per glass) is about $24 so you're only paying about $20 for the food.

Oh and the entertainment is wonderful!!!

Does that help. ;D ;D ;D
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Zardoz

One of the reasons I asked, was I seem to remember a big discussion (on the old forum)  that was less than positive about the King's feast.  Neither Mrs.Zardoz or I have ever been to it, and I'm a little skittish about the expense.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Tudor-Diva

The King's Feast is a full on comedy variety show featuring your hostess the Duchess Spendalot and her crew, performance company members of TRF, and specialty acts.  The King and Queen make their appearance near the end.  The food which is hand prepared by the owner of the Feast Hall, Charles Prince aka:  the Merchant Prince, includes a fruit and cheese plate waiting for you when you sit down, a basket of fresh fruit, a bread basket, a salad, a soup (the bisques are the BEST!), roasted and grilled veggies (from past experiences includes finger or small red potatoes of which I cannot get enough, asparagus, zucchini and yellow squash), a pork chop or pork loin selection, prime rib with horseradish, grilled chicken breast, and a gourmet sausage selection.  Desert is usually something chocolately, but they have done creme brulee in the past . Then yes, there are the beverages including sangria, wine, beer...... Its all you can eat, and trust me, you have to be a competitive eater or a bottomless pit to have one of everything.  The tankards are custom made each and every year so they are very collectible and of very high quality.

The price is very fair for the quality of food and entertainment you experience.  I personally recommend you attend.
Stacy Bakri

Ottheinrich

I think my wife and I will go this season.

Dose it sell out every weekend?

Nii

The first couple of weekends, there should be room.  As you get closer to Halloween weekend/final weekend, they're sold out.  Book early!

My wife and I have been going for 5 years now, and it's well worth it.  Important safety tip:  Have a very light breakfast that morning.  There's so much food, you'll be staggering out.  And to top it off, they won't let you leave the banquet hall unless your mug is filled.

Molden

Tudor Diva - your post nailed it exactly....tho...I WOULD have preferred a little more time getting acquainted with the prime rib and horseradish sauce! Everything else - tho very good indeed, was a distraction. Myself and my friends went on closing Sunday last year. BBBBBRRRRRRRRR!!!

I got to be in the bread-pass game and each participant was given a bottle of wine! So that only added to the deal. I had a blast mouthing off (as well mannered PG as I could muster!) with the Pirates from the cast. I also had the attention of a cute serving wench who would swat me with a leather strap everytime I put my elbow on the table...finally she promised to come by and swat me regularly if I would keep it off. Good times!

And bein' a pyrate as I am...I worked a bargain with our serving wench giving her $20 up front, and promised at least that at the end ... IF she would keep our wine glasses full. Everytime she filled them, we poured at least half of the glass into the commemorative mug. One friend passed on the wine, but stuffed her mug with our chocolate mousse. We passed  the hat at our table and she did better than I promised. We walked out - stuffed silly, a bit tipsed, 3 large mugs of red wine and 1 large mug of chocolate mousse!!!   ;D

The cast is great, and interactive, the belly dancers and musicians ROCK! Though we discussed only going every couple of years, I may just pull the trigger on it again this year.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Queen Bonnie

I have never been to the feast. Going with friends on the opening weekend! it does sound like fun!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Nii

FYI, you'll need to ask the servers for the horseradish.

And, should we remind the newcomers about "pinkies", and not having elbows on the table...?  Get ready for a forking good time!

Molden

Quote from: Nii on June 12, 2008, 05:32:01 PM
And, should we remind the newcomers about "pinkies", and not having elbows on the table...?  Get ready for a forking good time!

But...But...I LOVED leaving my elbows on the table!!!  ;D
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Nii

Nuthin' liked getting spanked by Haley and Marsala at the wine tasting...

PurpleDragon

I don't know if I can add anything more than has already been said other than MORE HORSERADISH with the PRIME RIB!!!!!!!!!

I have not been since 1998 myself when my ex-wife (spit) and I went the day after our wedding.  Even still, it was a great time even if the company I was with was a psycho. ;)
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Chianti

Quote from: PurpleDragon on June 27, 2008, 12:14:52 PM
I don't know if I can add anything more than has already been said other than MORE HORSERADISH with the PRIME RIB!!!!!!!!!

I have not been since 1998 myself when my ex-wife (spit) and I went the day after our wedding.  Even still, it was a great time even if the company I was with was a psycho. ;)
Wow Karl, you went the year I was performing in the feast!

PurpleDragon

Yeah, that was a long time ago.. now if I could only get the memories of the Feast to seperate from the memories of my ex-wife..not likely I know.. but it's worth a shot right?
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Mead Swilling Lech

Reading this thread makes me think that I REALLY need to pull the trigger on a ticket to the feast.  It sounds incredible.
Whiskey was invented to keep us Irish from ruling the world.

Taffy Saltwater

I vote for an R/F invasion of the King's Feast!
Sveethot!

eldatari

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on June 30, 2008, 07:34:48 PM
I vote for an R/F invasion of the King's Feast!

That sounds good, we should do it on Halloween weekend.

Valeria Skyye

MY husband and I will be attending the King's Feast for the very first time this year. I do have a question tho...are cameras allowed?
Co-founder and member of Clan Dragonass
Member Clan McLotofus

Faire Fox

One of the lovely ladies who will be performing at the King's Fest this year was in my audition group. She will amaze you, I promise.
A fox by any other name would not be as sweet