News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where's a good place to stay for the faire?

Started by NefariousDrO, June 06, 2010, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NefariousDrO

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I live in Michigan, and have been to many festivals here over the years, and keep hearing about Bristol but I've never been there. I'd like to make a foray to see for myself, but it'll have to be an extended trip, so I'd like to know where you'd recommend I stay for such a visit. I'm hoping to drive out on a Friday, spend two days at the faire, then drive home on a Monday. I generally prefer camping for a faire, but hotels all seem closer on google maps, so what do you folks recommend?  Thanks in advance!

Harlas

This is our 3rd year going to Bristol--where we will be staying over.

The first time--we stayed at a hotel right across from Gurnee Mills --this was kind of far from the faire--esp after closing but there were plenty of restaurants.

The second time--we stayed at a place about 15 minutes away.

This time--I booked a 2 night stay at the Radisson that is linked from the Bristol website.

http://www.renfair.com/bristol/information/hotels.asp

When our kids get a bit older--we are considering camping at some point :)

NefariousDrO

Thanks! I keep eyeing the ones closer, but I really prefer camping for a renfaire, it somehow seems to fit the mood of the event to me.

chris9611

Have you looked at either Illinois Beach State Park or the Richard Bong State Recreation area?  Both are a easy 20-30 minute drive away from the faire.  Me and my friends state at Illinois Beach last year and we enjoyed it and thought that it was a nice park.

Sitara

Quote from: chris9611 on June 08, 2010, 07:04:36 PM
Have you looked at either Illinois Beach State Park or the Richard Bong State Recreation area?  Both are a easy 20-30 minute drive away from the faire.  Me and my friends state at Illinois Beach last year and we enjoyed it and thought that it was a nice park.

I have stayed at both of these myself.  The Illinois one is in Zion shortly across the border, it's pretty nice and is actually right on Lake Michigan.  It was beautiful to sit on the beach at sunset.  Showers facilities were clean. The Bong one was fine but I didn't leave camp at all so can't really comment on the grounds, I am not sure about shower facilities if there are any.  IIRC Bong is closer and both cost about the same.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

flidais

We've stayed at the Bong Rec Area 3 times.  We have always liked it.  The first year we had a tent and then had a pop-up after that.
It is a little bit of a drive to fest.  Actually the longest part of the drive is from the front of the park bakc to where our campsite was. But it was pretty. The showers are nice.  Misquitos are kinda killer.  But I think that's pretty normal for campgrounds in the summer.  I'm sure we'll be back there again the next time we go out to Bristol.

Bristol btw is fantastic!!!!

NefariousDrO

Thanks everyone! Now all I need to do is put the $ together and get a couple of days off from work and I'm there. No promises of course, but if I can swing it I'll be sure to let you know. I owe you all at least a pint or something for your help.

rooksjl

My family and I have stayed at IL Beach South several times when visiting/performing at Bristol.  It's a great place, near the beach, and it's about 20 minutes from the faire - and best of all - no toll roads to get to/from the faire!

Have to watch out for the Canadian Air Force though (also known as May Flies...)  hehe  They do invade at night, and can be quite thick.

NefariousDrO

And here I always thought the Canadian Air Force was the mosquitos! Or is the black flies? I should mention that I grew up in a very swampy quarter of SW Michigan, I'm used to mosquitos in thick enough swarms to pick you up and carry you away. Which doesn't mean that I like it that way, though! Still, I think I'm going to shoot for a late July visit to your fair faire, (sorry, I can never resist a bad pun) so if I manage it, look for a guy dressed like this:

I owe you guys a pint at the very least!

flidais

When we've been at Bong Rec in the past there always seems to be a handful of rennies around.  We always travel out there with another couple or two.   Would be fun to do a MIRF invasion of Bristol one year. 

Goody

Im considering doin the Bong this yr but we've always stayed at Happy Acres. They had different management last yr and I wasnt too thrilled but it's great if uv got kids in tow.