News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What you wish you knew your first visit to faire ...

Started by Blushing, May 25, 2010, 10:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

Personally I don't mind the kids, it's the neglectful parents that drive me nuts.  The kids generally don't know any better, but the parents should.  I had an amazing experience with a child last year at Santa Fe that just brought tears to my eyes and made me really grateful that I do faire, because it's that sense of wonderment that is really what we do it for.  I can't wait to bring my little ones to enjoy faire from the time that they're very young (this'll be in a few years, don't worry) but I also plan on paying attention to my children unlike some parents I've seen at faire (and other places)....and think about it, without the kids, Mistress Charlotte would probably go out of business!  It's really the parents who mess things up, the ones who leave their children at the face painting booth or let them wander around or order them a large Mountain Dew...
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

holierthanthou

Holy Mary Mother of God!  Kids on Dew are dangerous!
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Tink

Quote from: Zoë on May 26, 2010, 11:25:17 AM
Think twice about buying a clothing item or weapon that's very expensive that you may not ever wear or use again - as cool as it is, you will probably feel remorse about it later.  If you feel like you're going to come back, wait till that second or third trip to commit to new garb, because there's nothing worse than blowing a lot of money on something that you might never use again. 

THIS.  And also about the water and sunscreen.

My first time at faire was with a group of friends that were (and I assume still are) big rennies.  They dressed me in garb and knew the good shows and places to see.  I has sprained my ankle the day before, but even limping around I had SOOOO much fun.  I've been hooked ever since!
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Missy

Only a few items to add. if bringing children write your cell number on their arms with a sharpie! And know where lost and found is... Visit the information booths for information We know all the new stuff and were to go pee with out a potty parade... Bring Head ache medicine. First aid won't give it to you and nobody sells it.

If you forget your sun screen, see the information/ souvonier shops they have it, and hats, and water, battaries. cameras... and clean shirts for when you spill or drip....

If you loose something ALWAYS look at lost and found (IN CO it's the last booth before the exit) We usually have it, Faire people are very honest people! Last year, we found a wallet with $600.00. and returned it to the owner.

If it rains, Don't run out. This is Colorado after all and most of the time it will clear up. Then you will have the run of the site, as all the fools ran out.

Adriana Rose

I find it gets sillier when it rains.

I would have loved to have known when faire opened, my mom and I got there at like 4 on the last day.

Zoë

If you are a contact-wearer, bring a small bottle of contact solution or eye drops, because the dust WILL irritate your eyes during the day and you'll wish you had something to make it feel better.  Learned that the hard way last season.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Demetrius

I wish I knew to buy all the Limited Edition Mugs.    :(
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Rosamundi

Thank you for this super thread! I appreciated the tips on kids' activities, too. My munchkin is pretty tiny but we're going to give it a shot under close supervision. Before I had a kid, I never liked 'em running wild. And now that I have one, I like it even less.
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Zoë

There are a couple rides for the little ones, some of which can even be accompanied by mom if said little one doesn't want to go alone.  There's also a free petting zoo down by the jousting area that they can explore and pet the animals and such.  Plenty to keep the tiny ones entertained.  :)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Hey- Arent You?

Yep... LOTS to do for the little guys.....

and Elijah says everyone is welcome in HIS area.......
   http://legendsofsherwood.net/Elijahs09Faire.html
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Zoë

Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Tink

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Rosamundi

Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

DonaCatalina

1. That packing a cooler with drinks and goodies is a good idea.

2. That getting there well before opening gets you a much better parking space, and leaves you time to enjoy the goodies in your cooler.

3. Making your own garb is not that difficult and really makes you feel part of the faire.

4. Comfortable sturdy shoes are the best garb investment you can make. (Especially when its uphill both ways)
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess