News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The rain in Spain....

Started by PrincessSara, June 08, 2008, 03:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessSara

I need a British accent for a faire at which I'm part of the volunteer cast.  But I'm having a hard time forcing my voice into an accent, I can't seem to make the right sounds.  Is there any way I can teach myself to speak in an accent?

festmum

Watch lots of BBC!!!  Or Startrek (Capt. Picard)   :D

gem

One thing that helps is to stop listening to the *words,* so you can concentrate on the *sounds.*  Mimic them, syllable by syllable.  Note how the different syllables *feel* in your mouth, by the way your mouth shapes them.

There are a few websites with resources for dialogue training; here's one.

Likewise, you might find a book or CD on the subject helpful.

peggyelizabeth

You might also have luck listening to movies such as Shakespeare in Love and the 2 Elizabeth films. The language in them is a modern-pseudo Elizabethan that's easy to listen to and understand. I wouldn't really watch them, just put them on as background noise, while visiting here or sewing, etc., otherwise you'll start quoting the films.

NicoleDeLaMer

At Renstore.com you can purchase The Well Tempered Dialect or Speaking The Speeche. They are supposed to help you develop a Ren Faire Dialect. I've not tried either of them but the samples sound fun. Good luck!
Member of...
The International Wenches Guild
The Cleaners' Guild & Association of Certified Personal Assassins

McGuinness

Practice, practice, practice. Talk to yourself (or anyone who will listen) in dialect as much as possible so you can practice getting it in your mouth.

There are more references and links listed in the "Accent Help" thread in this forum also.

BLAKDUKE

Another suggestion is to watch the movie that your thread title quoted.  Rex Harrison is a marvelous speaker and Audrey Hepburn give you both the cockney accent and the more formal english accent as well.  I would venture to say you could learn all you wanted from that.  IMHO of course.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Fast Eddie Seymour

I'm happy to announce that The Well Tempered Dialect is now available on the web, via either MP3 download from Amazon.com or I-Tunes, or you can purchase a CD from Cafe Press.
Go to   www.welltempereddialect.com  to listen to samples or read the script or for other information.

Happy listening!

Dinobabe

Quote from: Fast Eddie Seymour on May 01, 2009, 11:36:54 PM
I'm happy to announce that The Well Tempered Dialect is now available on the web, via either MP3 download from Amazon.com or I-Tunes, or you can purchase a CD from Cafe Press.
Go to   www.welltempereddialect.com  to listen to samples or read the script or for other information.

Happy listening!

The page won't come up.  Is the link dead?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com