News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renaissance Murder Mystery Solved

Started by Welsh Wench, July 18, 2010, 08:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

Researcher Puts Ancient Murder Mystery to Rest

Hugh Collins
Contributor

AOL News (July 16) -- New research by an Italian scientist has solved a murder mystery that has lingered for more than 400 years.

The death of Francesco I de' Medici, the grand duke of Tuscany, has been shrouded in uncertainty for centuries. Francesco died in 1587 within 24 hours of his wife, Bianca Cappello.

The official death certificate cited malaria as the cause of death. However, suspicion soon settled on Francesco's brother, Cardinal Ferdinando I. After the deaths of his brother and sister-in-law, he resigned his position with the church and assumed the title of duke, and rumors swirled that he had poisoned them with arsenic to clear the way.

Now, Gino Fornaciari, a researcher at the University of Pisa, has absolved the cardinal and confirmed that Francesco did indeed die of malaria, a disease that was endemic in Tuscany right up until World War II.

"With the use of modern methods, we provide robust evidence that Francesco I had falciparum malaria at the time," Fornaciari writes in an article in The American Journal of Medicine. "Our findings also absolve Ferdinando I from the shameful allegation of being the murderer of his brother and sister-in-law."

To solve the ancient mystery, Fornaciari's team turned to Francesco's skeleton. The researchers tested the bones for a specific kind of protein that would suggest the presence of malaria, and the tests came up positive.

No tests could be performed on Bianca's skeleton, though, as nobody knows where she is buried.

This is the first time ancient bones have shown the presence of malaria at the time of death. Previously, researchers have turned to muscle tissue as the best indicator.

Even before Fornaciari cleared up the ancient riddle, history has been kind to Ferdinando. Whatever the suspicions around how he became grand duke, he put his position to good use, bolstering industry and patronizing the arts.

"He ruled with great skill and was the real beginner of a very rational trend in the government of Tuscany," Cristina Acidini, superintendent of Florence museums, told Discovery News.

Francesco I de' Medici
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

LadyShadow

May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

bellevivre

very interesting- there's actually a great novel about Bianca herself i read recently- Bianca by Robert Elegant... not sure how accurate it is, but a good read none the less
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

LadyFae

Isn't it crazy what they can do with modern technology?
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

DonaCatalina

It's really cool what they can learn with modern forensics. I think this is the same team that proved Cosimo did not kill his son Garcia for murdering his brother Giovanni. Both skeletons tested positive for malaria which was the officical cause of death at the time.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess