News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photo shoot!!!!!

Started by Skip, July 26, 2010, 10:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

Sounds like fun! Donno if I can though :-\  But if I can coax some extra cash outta my budget I might be bringing the monster over to Scot Fest this year he is big enough to get into it this year, soooooo if we wanna play then I might be down

Celtic Rune Stones

Skip, two cameramen are better than one...  ;D
My life is loosely based on a true story...

Tanda

Quote from: Skip on July 27, 2010, 11:17:12 AM

Counted!  We might get a good turnout for the North shoot yet  ;).

How far North are you willing to go?  ;)

I wish I could participate, but I will look forward to seeing what pictures come of the event.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Skip

Quote from: Adriana Rose on July 27, 2010, 11:18:12 AM
Sounds like fun! Donno if I can though :-\  But if I can coax some extra cash outta my budget I might be bringing the monster over to Scot Fest this year he is big enough to get into it this year, soooooo if we wanna play then I might be down

I don't know what area you are in but I am trying to get shoots set-up in both Fort Collins and Denver so please try to make it.  Also I looked for you the last time I was at faire but missed you, can you remind me where you are cause I would really like to get some pics this Saturday?

I have a wedding to shoot right at the same time frame as the scottish festival so I am not sure which day I can make it.  Will look into that and let you know.

Quote from: Celtic Rune Stones on July 27, 2010, 11:39:38 AM
Skip, two cameramen are better than one...  ;D

Agreed and anyone and everyone is welcome to bring their own camera's.  Since we will have lights and possibly some other things as needed set up I will have to limit access to those things.  We have tried to shoot sharing lights (these are studio lights) and it always leads to things getting messed up and shots missed.  However, I will willingly share the digital files with whoever wants them.  If anyone wants professional prints I will have to charge for those as it costs me to have them printed ( sorry don't mean to be a downer on that note ).

Quote from: Tanda on July 27, 2010, 11:47:16 AM

I wish I could participate, but I will look forward to seeing what pictures come of the event.

Wish I could go as far north as you are but I am afraid that is not in the budget.  Are you still here or have you moved already?  If you are going to be at CoRF this Saturday make sure I get some shots of you!!

Blushing

SOOOO interested! <jumps up and down in excitement>
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Francisco Paula

i wouldn't mind being a fat model for some but i am more interested in learning from more experienced photogs then me

Skip

Quote from: Blushing on July 27, 2010, 02:14:05 PM
SOOOO interested! <jumps up and down in excitement>

GREAT, I just knew I could count on you.  This is shaping up to being simply awesome!!!

Quote from: Sir Garath on July 27, 2010, 02:34:16 PM
i wouldn't mind being a fat model for some but i am more interested in learning from more experienced photogs then me

If you haven't done any studio work or worked with lights before then I will be more than happy to teach you what I know.  This shoot does have it's problems to overcome but those are mostly dealing with keeping with the period in a modern setting and possibly (hopefully) lots of people showing up for this and us getting in trouble for being a public nuisance (would so make my day  ;D ;D). 

Keep 'em coming and we'll have to pull a permit to make this happen  :o :o :o  ;D ;D ;D.

Francisco Paula

Skip if you go here you can pretty much see my level and what i am use to doing http://picasaweb.google.com/hikadaf . havn't worked with lighting and such and you can see over the last 3 or so years where i am at.

Skip

Quote from: Sir Garath on July 27, 2010, 03:08:08 PM
Skip if you go here you can pretty much see my level and what i am use to doing http://picasaweb.google.com/hikadaf . havn't worked with lighting and such and you can see over the last 3 or so years where i am at.

First off can anybody tell that I'm stuck in the office all day and bored to death!!!!

As for your pictures you've done some nice work.  Now as for how your doing that really depends on your style or what you want out of your pictures.  I tend to lean in a more artistic direction so the blurred backgrounds, colors and composition are very important to me.  This leads to lots of other issues like shallow depth of field so very hard to nail the focus.  This is made even worse when your trying to take the shot on the fly, on a hill with a bad ankle (could I get some cheese with that whine?  ;D).  There are about a thousand other things to consider of course but I am always up for photog shop talk with anyone and am always glad to help in any way I can. 

If I could only give you one piece of advice though I would say the three most important parts of subject photography is background, background and of course background.  Trying to isolate the subject and make it/them stand out is really the key.  Distracting bg's are just that distracting and something to be avoided if at all possible.  This makes spontaneous photography pretty difficult and really changes the way you look at things.

Now when it comes to lights (off camera lighting), be prepared for your whole outlook to change and your photography to never be the same!  It makes a huge difference - like nothing else you can do - but it comes with a big price.  I have a very hard time shooting without lights anymore because of how much better I know the shot can be.  It really boils down to controlling the light in a photograph and after all that's all a photo really is - captured light.

Again bored to death and way off topic but hey, I got the time.  Luckily my work day is almost over. 

If you are there on Saturday walk with me for a while and we can talk.  I don't know how much you know about the mechanics of photography either and it will be easier and quicker to do this face to face. 

Really have to stop, I just erased as much as I had already written above.  Should have pm'd this anyway - sorry for the distraction folks now lets get back to the subject of a photo shoot. 

WHO'S UP FOR ONE OF THOSE?

Tanda

Quote from: Skip on July 27, 2010, 12:29:17 PM

Quote from: Tanda on July 27, 2010, 11:47:16 AM

Wish I could go as far north as you are but I am afraid that is not in the budget.  Are you still here or have you moved already?  If you are going to be at CoRF this Saturday make sure I get some shots of you!!

We're behind original schedule by about a week, partially due to the fact that the original Realtor just *poof* went out of business. So, yes, I'll be at CoRF this weekend, but probably only Sunday.
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Adriana Rose

I am normally up at shop 13 or at the garland carts. One is next to Mistress Charlotte and the other is up by the rose stage...

I will try its just that once faire is over I really dont get to the front range very often,I'm in the Steamboat area.

I kinda turn into a hermit lol

Skip

Quote from: Tanda on July 27, 2010, 04:43:48 PM
We're behind original schedule by about a week, partially due to the fact that the original Realtor just *poof* went out of business. So, yes, I'll be at CoRF this weekend, but probably only Sunday.

Well that just sucks  >:(.  I do, however, wish you much happiness in your life wherever you may be.  Travel carefully, enjoy the journey and live your life out loud and without regret.

Quote from: Adriana Rose on July 27, 2010, 05:07:39 PM
I am normally up at shop 13 or at the garland carts. One is next to Mistress Charlotte and the other is up by the rose stage...

I will try its just that once faire is over I really dont get to the front range very often,I'm in the Steamboat area.

I kinda turn into a hermit lol

I will find you, even if I have to enlist the help of the the gracious Blushing, so I can meet you and get some pics.

I propose that we schedule the North (Fort Collins) shoot for sometime during the Scottish Festival run.  I found out today that we have two weddings, one on the 3rd and one on the 11th.  Anything other than those two days will work for me and it would sure be great if you could join us for the fun.  I think this group will be small enough that we could pull it off during the evening hours so we could even do it during the week if that works.

Everyone from up here please let me know if this will or won't work as I really want to have as many as possible show up.

Skip

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Weekend is best for Toki and I as he gets home between 5:30 and 6:30 most days... then we eat and clean up, relax for 5 minutes then by that time it is 8pm and in bed by 9:30
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Princess Alice

Skip, are you coming to the festival this weekend?  If so, please come find me at the Enchanted Hat (it's the very first shop) so that we can meet.
Real Men Eat Fish.

Skip

Quote from: Princess Alice on July 27, 2010, 10:15:21 PM
Skip, are you coming to the festival this weekend?  If so, please come find me at the Enchanted Hat (it's the very first shop) so that we can meet.

Yes my wife and I will be there on Saturday so I will stop by - it's amazing how many people form these boards that I missed the first time.

Now are you coming to the photo shoot?