News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Overdoing it?

Started by Doberman, July 27, 2010, 01:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Lil

There is not enough soap to wash out my mouth for what I really would like to say, but for the record, I'll be adding a new do-dad thingy, and bells lots of bells  ;)

Taffy Saltwater

Quote from: Lady Lil on July 27, 2010, 08:21:33 PM
There is not enough soap to wash out my mouth for what I really would like to say, but for the record, I'll be adding a new do-dad thingy, and bells lots of bells  ;)

You've inspired me to get a bell, maybe several.
Sveethot!

Kate

In the mundane world I wear jeans or dress slacks and a plain black blouse, cute shoes, and simple accessories.

Faire is my place to go overboard (Someone once told me not to go overboard and everyone around who knows me well just laughed).

My hat is made of straw but weighs over 10 pounds.
If it is hot pink, I own it and have it somewhere on my person at faire.
The most boring part of my garb would be my plain black boots, but no one ever sees them.

The point of faire is to have fun.  If you want to go minimalist, join SCA and play H/A police over there. :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Auryn

You know
I am very much a 'to each his own' kind of person. Granted I have rolled my eyes or snickered in amusement when I see someone whose close literally don't fit them well both in mundane life and at faire, but I would never have the audacity or gall to criticize someone's sense of style and what makes them happy.
I would love for you Doberman to come up to me in person at faire and say that to my face. Once I stopped laughing I am sure I would have some choice words for you in several different languages that you would soon not forget.

now I am not lucky enough to have a favor sash as I have not had the chance to make any local faire friends, but if I did I would wear it proudly and with respect.

If you have that much time that you can obsess and be bothered about someone else's garb and trinkets to the point that it bothers you so much, well I say you have too much free time on your hands and need to get yourself a hobby.

Live and let live, no one should be so presumptuous as to impose their own beliefs of propriety on someone else's innocent pleasures and enjoyment.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Kate

BTW, after looking up your Facebook (with your account-provided e-mail) you state you used to have blue hair.

*I* used to have pink hair.... and was told I was "overdoing it."  Methinks you are sad that you got called out on not being H/A with blue hair and now wanna take it out on those who aren't afraid to be themselves. :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Seamus Ex Machina

I have a bell, too.   One of the crewe walks around with a ship's bell and we ring it on special occasions...like, when the Captain's mug goes dry.    ;D  It gets a bit of use......as do all my pins, buttons, muskets, swords, bags and flasks.   And ding a lings are everywhere....

Faire is for having fun, being ridiculous, and meeting the great people that inhabit this subculture.    Doberman, this is an escape from corporate America, and it sounds like SCA or Civil War reenactment would more up your alley.    ;)
Legendary Hellraiser

NicoleBridget

I'm used to a little snarky fashion humor (ever watch What Not to Wear or looked at the fashion police pictorials in magazines?) so I guess that's why I'm not terribly put off by Doug's opinion.  It just read to me like a synopsis of What Not to Wear - Ren Faire Edition.  I don't always agree with the opinions of the fashion "experts" on the show, for example they advised a 30 year old not to wear her plaid mini skirt anymore because it's too youthful but I'm 31 and my favorite article of clothing is my plaid skirt, but I didn't haul off and start writing angry letters to them.  It's their OPINION and I find, even if I don't agree, it's usually given in a lighthearted, humorous way and I can appreciate that.

I don't like seeing anyone attacked on forums for expressing their opinions.  I visit a few different forums for different hobbies and I've noticed that only certain opinions are welcome in each, and that's not fair.  As long as they're thought out and moderately respectful, who cares?  Seriously...if his intention was to hurt or rain on every (alleged) over-accessorizer's parade, I think Doug could have removed the humor filter and said much worse.  He was making an observation, giving his opinion, opening up some dialogue, and trying to be funny.  I can't possibly be the ONLY person that read it and had a chuckle?  It reads like a fashion do's & don'ts column.  He's not advocating kicking puppies or tripping old people, I think it's safe to put down the rocks, put away the torches and pitch forks.  He's one of us, guys!

As to the actual topic...my OPINION is that a lot of accessories on lower and middle class garb adds to the believability of their character.  They couldn't afford servants to carry around their necessities so they probably had to wear them.  You can sometimes even identify the character someone is playing by their accessories alone, and some make great conversation pieces and are a way to start a gig in the lanes.  When I first started going to fest I assumed the actors were the garbed people who actually CARRIED things, they were well accessorized, all tricked out from head to toe, not just wearing a rented costume as I was then.  But I now know that playtrons are often just as detailed as the hired actors (and sometimes more so) they fill out village and thusly enhance the whole experience.

Now for nobles I think less is more.  I've watched as a lovely Queen's Tudor ensemble morphed her into an overdecorated Christmas tree through the years with the addition of feathers, chain mail, and favors in addition to the requisite pouch and goblet.  My OPINION is that it looked better without all the "stuff".  I read the costuming guidelines for a guild (St. George, I believe) and they discourage their nobility from hanging too much stuff on their person.  I admire and aspire to their overall look so when I dress nobly, I go minimalist too.

Now should I add a caveat to my post so I, in my turn, am not attacked for defending Doug, and sharing my own personal ren style preferences?  Ok, ok, I'll do it for funsies.

The author of this post is an active participant and enthusiast of the renaissance festival community and it's culture and wholly agrees with and supports the idea that the spirit of historical reenactment is all in fun.  She smiles upon all who support Renaissance festivals with their patronage from Storm Troopers to Elvis and looks forward all year to cavorting with the overaccessorized masses each summer.  While the author wishes not to publicly criticize another's garb (unless in a forum where opinions are openly sought), she reserves the right to think, and keep to herself, whatever she wants about what you're wearing.  She does not presume to think that any opinion she has publicly presented is better than that of others, and submits it only in an effort to facilitate thoughtful debate and interesting conversation.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Lol... Rennie's can be a defensive, prickly, bunch can't we?  :D  What they lady says is true... Doberman wasn't out to tick people off, just to get a spirited discussion going.  If everyone would reread his opening statement... then laugh at all of us getting our hackles up...

He giving his opinion and asking for everyone's in return...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Blue66669

Hey, my hackles are right where they should be. At the cleaners, then getting dyed red. I want to be presentable for when I have to kick your butt LOL!
Blaidd Drwg

Auryn

I agree my response was probably a bit defensive- I blame it on the fact that our shop has no ac and its 92o outside with 85% humidity and the weather channel says its going to feel like 102o by 1pm
anyway

I think the problem might have been his choice of words. Most reasonable people that have spent time on any kind of a discussion board know how easily things can be mis read
so maybe he should have left out the bit about the favors and pins- thats basically critizing people's friendships and akin to criticizing someone's children. No matter how much it might be deserved you know its gonna get people's hackles up.

Also, I have only been attending faire for a couple of years and our court recently changed so I haven't really gotten to experience the whole morphing thing. I get it, especially after NicoleBridget's explanation.
Maybe our faire is just more boring then most as I haven't really seen much of what everyone is talking about.
We actually have a rather huge lack of accessorizing and there are is lot of "off the internet rack' garbing going on.

I still stand that if someone where to criticize my garb or accessories to my face they would be the worse for wear
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Auryn

oh and I don't know where my hackles are
they are probably bubble wrapped and packed up in a box in my new garage.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Auryn on July 28, 2010, 11:10:39 AM
oh and I don't know where my hackles are
they are probably bubble wrapped and packed up in a box in my new garage.

::Quirks head:: Bubble wrap?

Valiss

Believing people are overdoing it, and calling them on it are two differnt things. Check this out:

http://attack-laurel.livejournal.com/167972.html

Seems to be spot on.

Tixi

Quote from: NicoleBridget on July 28, 2010, 10:38:25 AM
I don't like seeing anyone attacked on forums for expressing their opinions.  I visit a few different forums for different hobbies and I've noticed that only certain opinions are welcome in each, and that's not fair.  As long as they're thought out and moderately respectful, who cares?  

People are entitled to do or say or *ahem* wear anything they want.

I think most of us are just saying the superior, mocking tone was, well, 'overdone' and not conducive to a non-defensive conversation.

p.s. Valiss: I officially love that LJ article.

Lady Rosalind

Having been on the receiving end of a walk-by snark early this month, I can tell you, it isn't pleasant. I very nearly had to be physically restrained from wheeling about and giving this woman a piece of my mind, in character, about why my blackwork sleeves actually were historically appropriate, and how our skirt circumferences were as well. We were leaving the non-faire event (we were promoting the faire), however, and I didn't want to make a scene, but my blood was boiling. I managed to keep a smile on my face, though, as there were so many cute little kids in line. Internally, it really hurt.

While it is okay to have an opinion, it is not okay to state that opinion in a hurtful way. If you can't stand it, and have to say something, at least keep your mouth shut until the person is out of ear shot.

Yes, I've occasionally thought, "what were they thinking?", but unless I have some kind of responsibility for that person, or unless naughty bits are showing or about to be showing (accidental or otherwise, and I do this discreetly, because I'd want to know if something was slipping lower than I wanted it to), I keep my mouth shut. If people ask me for advice, I will steer them to more attractive choices (for them) gently. It costs little to be kind.

I like seeing people's accessories, because I know there has to be a story in there somewhere, and really, when you boil it down to the essentials, that is what we are doing. We're telling and acting out a day-long story. Every person in garb adds to it, even if it is a Star Trek away team (I swear most the rennies I know are trekkies, too!). It is a festival day, and strange and fantastical beings are part of the festival.

And honestly, if I heard one of our vendors was saying stuff like this, I would not give that booth my patronage. I already have three vendors on my list, due to other incidents, I can add more. Seriously, if they are saying stuff like this out loud, within earshot of patrons, even if those patrons aren't the ones being discussed, that is extremely unprofessional, not to mention hurtful to the faire's reputation.