News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2011 Season

Started by FlaRF, August 11, 2010, 09:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain robb

We're four hours away from FLARF, so we make a weekend of it. I think it's worthwhile.

I consider BARF my home faire, but I like to get out to FLARF once a season. It seems to be a more relaxing setting. There are more places to sit, and I feel more like going to the shows.

And if their new take on Cinderella is anything like their MacBeth, that alone is worth the price of admission.

We'd love to see you on the 12th!

Esperanza McDaniels

This was my first visit to FLARF, and I'm sorry to say, I was not impressed.  BARF is my local faire, and I was expecting something as homey, if not bigger, than BARF.  Well, FLARF was certainly bigger, but the layout of everything was odd to me.  I didn't really understand the whole "circus" theme (the 'baby' clown was freaky/weird).  I didn't think the cast interacted well with the crowd.  I was there with some M'Crack officers, hoping to run into some local playtrons that we could discuss M'Crack business with, but we saw none.  Really, absolutely none that we thought to approach.  The very few people who were dressed in garb, didn't even appear to be enjoying themselves.  It was a sight for me to see more people as mundane, then in garb.  While there were plenty of vendors, they were all selling pretty much the same product, and I was again, disappointed in the quality of some of their items.  I did, however, find a lovely red foxtail that I've been searching a long time for.  The highlight of my day was getting to visit with a friend who's been very sick, and FLARF was her first official 'day out'.
Esperanza McDaniels
Pilot for The Harbinger

Bite'n Penny
Cruise Director of The Clan O'Conchobhair

Anna Iram

No doubt BARF has a very fine cast.  :) I think it's natural to feel not at home at a faire that you do not know anyone at other than those you traveled with. In my visits, I've come to know some of the shopkeepers and know a few castmembers on sight, so the faire feels more homey to me. I have good memories of my visits there and look forward to making new one. :)

Can anyone from FLARF tell me if the current entertainment schedule will remain the same for the run of the show or is this just opening weekend?

http://ren-fest.com/userfiles/file/Weekend2EntertainmentSchedule1.pdf

There are some acts I really want to see. I'll be so bumed if I missed them!

Auryn

Esperanza,
I am  sorry you were so disappointed.
I am sad to say that I was rather disappointed opening weekend myself.
FLARF is my home faire and I have been attending for about 4 years now.

There was a noticeable reduction in the 'walk around' cast and I personally despise the new layout and the stupid inflatable bouncy castles near the entrance.

Anna,
as far as the entertainment schedule I haven't heard that there will be any changes, if there are they have not been announced.

I have only been to BARF once and I loved it. Unfortunately finances being what they are this year we will most likely not get to visit- gotta save up the money for Dragon Con.

Esperanza, I would like to encourage you to write a letter or email to the management of FLARf, maybe if enough people complain they will start to get the idea.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Anna Iram

Auryn, what changes were make to the layout?

Auryn

Do you remember the "field of dreams" -the jousting field where they also had the falconry exhibition and the archery exhibition. Walk out to the lake, hang a left and you would have the joust field ahead of you and the pirate encampent with the trebuchets to the right??
Thats gone.
They closed off that section and made it into vendor camping (which by the way doesn't even have an ugly chain link fence in front of it so your stuck looking at people's very modern and messy camping life.

The joust "field" now is to the right of the fork where Christoph the insulter's tent was.  It is about 1/3 the width and size that it used to be, all the wooden bleachers and structure that gave you the feeling of being in an arena are gone and theres a lot less seating now.

I will see if I can upload some of my pictures from opening weekend tonight so you can see.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Anna Iram

Thanks, I'd love to see some pics.

That's a shame. Such a nice joust field, and I loved that little corner by Christophe and the pub. Boo.

Yeah...the bungy castle and the baby clown is a little disturbing too... :D

I hate change when it's not for the better. BARF has had some big changes these past few years as well. Some for the better, but some a little hard to swallow from the point of view of a playtron. I agree a letter to let them know is a good thing, but who knows what inner workings of the budget monster has got to do with this. I did notice FLARF's season is decidely shorter this year.

Esperanza McDaniels

I have nothing to compare FLARF to, as this was my first visit.  I'm sorry that ya'll have fond memories of a FLARF past.  I hope that it one day returns to the FLARF you remember.  I guess the major issue I had was the lack of playtrons.  I've been to other faires/festivals/gatherings, and I've always noticed groups of playtrons having a grand time.  But I didn't see any groups at all.  Maybe three or four people walking around, but not an actual, established group.  I'm the type of person that I can mingle with anyone and have a good time.  But there was no one to mingle with, and THAT was surprising and disappointing.
Esperanza McDaniels
Pilot for The Harbinger

Bite'n Penny

Auryn

esperanza,
unfortunately that is the same problem we have with FLARF.
I don't know if its a south florida thing or not but its very hard to make friends down here, even more so rennie friends.
Part of the problem is people live so far away from each other, anywhere from the keys up to Jupiter- multiple hours a part.
But even so, we have been trying to make local rennie friends for a couple of years and have come up empty handed so far.
I am very jealous even of the BARF people with their established groups.
We don't even have a wench's guild or anything down here.

Anna Iram

Auryn, maybe you could start a Facebook group. Something not a forum and not a clan or guild with rules and expectations, and inherant drama, but a simple message board to post faire info and meet and greets and such.

Alarick

Quote from: Esperanza McDaniels on February 24, 2011, 09:03:09 PM
I have nothing to compare FLARF to, as this was my first visit.  I'm sorry that ya'll have fond memories of a FLARF past.  I hope that it one day returns to the FLARF you remember.  I guess the major issue I had was the lack of playtrons.  I've been to other faires/festivals/gatherings, and I've always noticed groups of playtrons having a grand time.  But I didn't see any groups at all.  Maybe three or four people walking around, but not an actual, established group.  I'm the type of person that I can mingle with anyone and have a good time.  But there was no one to mingle with, and THAT was surprising and disappointing.

I'm glad I'm not the only person to notice the lack of playtrons at FLARF.
Scarborough is still my home faire even though I live in Florida now, and was a little surprised at the lack of playtrons last year, seems to be even less this year.
Was not sure if it was just a Florida thing, or some other reason for the low numbers out there.

Esperanza McDaniels

Well, FLARF was the only faire I've been to where I noticed the lack of playtron participation.  I urge you to make the trip to Tampa to attend BARF.  It is SO worth it.  The cast is amazing, and the playtrons...well, we start out tailgating around 8:30am and stay until well after cannon has announced the end of faire.  We always have an amazing time!
Esperanza McDaniels
Pilot for The Harbinger

Bite'n Penny

Alarick

I've been to BARF, honestly I can't say it impressed me enough to make the drive from Sarasota a second time when I lived there.
And I'm in Coral Springs now, so that's not really high on my list of things to do in the Tampa area, though I have debated driving up to go to the Castle again.
Maybe I'm just spoiled from the Texas faires.

Esperanza McDaniels

How long ago did you attend BARF?  Perhaps you were just looking in all the wrong places?  LOL.  Most of us hang out at the Pyrates Pub.  And walk around faire and mingle with others, but we always end up back at the Pyrates Pub, just having a grand 'ole time.
Esperanza McDaniels
Pilot for The Harbinger

Bite'n Penny

Alarick

I went in 09.
Not sure if it's improved since then, but when I was there several of the vendors where even in street clothes.