News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

KC faire invasion ... attempt

Started by Blushing, August 23, 2010, 11:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blushing

Salutations ... so a bunch of us from the Colorado faire (a few from the boards) were planning on making the trek east to vist your wonderous shire.

Unfortunately, we apparently picked the worst possible weekend - Nascar weekend.  Any ideas on places to stay that will be near enough for faire that won't suck us into the mayhem of the race?

Any suggestions and tips appreciated!
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

TKM

well, of course anywhere near the legends is WAY out of question... probably in bonner either. I think the only way to mostly evade nascar traffic that weekend without staying in a questionable neighborhood is north johnson county somewhere. i would suggest, if you get a hotel in joco, try to find one that has quick access to I-435 or K-7. Those would be your most direct routes to the faire... anything else in the county is a little out of the way.

insidiousraven

I live in Johnson County, and it takes me 30 minutes to get to faire, so anywhere in Shawnee, Lenexa or Overland Park would be a very nice place to stay, and not far away at all.

Rowan MacD

Last time I went to KC faire was a Nascar weekend-I found a very reasonable ($35.00) HoJo just north of the Overland Park embassy suites.  Check online and make reservations in advance, and share a room if you can.
  This HoJo is about 20 minutes from faire, right off the highway, and our pirate invasion group ate breakfast at Denny's right on the way to opening gate.
  Have fun!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Earl of Surrey

Lady Elizabeth and I have had good luck with the Hampton Inn in Shawnee Mission, though it may be one of the places that is full already.  It is right off the highway and there is an alright Mexican Food resturant just across the parking lot for Margaritas without driving.

We have even seen the Baron and Baroness there.

Good Luck,
Squire & Lady Elizabeth
--The Paris Hilton of the 16th Century--

The Earl and Countess of Surrey  (off with my head, on January 19, 1547)

TKM

Quote from: insidiousraven on August 24, 2010, 10:51:04 AM
I live in Johnson County, and it takes me 30 minutes to get to faire, so anywhere in Shawnee, Lenexa or Overland Park would be a very nice place to stay, and not far away at all.
another KC resident on these boards? why haven't I seen you post more? You should come put in a word in our other topics about meeting up! a lot of us from the board are trying to coordinate get-togethers with others who will be attending, and those of us who can expect to go most if not all weekends need to talk with our guests about such things!

but, I stray from the topic at hand. my apologies...

insidiousraven

I usually only go one time a year, it costs too much to do more.  I'll be going Sept. 18th, cause my BF is participating in the longbow competition.

Blushing

Thanks so much!  Here's hoping ...
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Delireus

so when is this nascar weekend? I don't follow these things :P
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Butch

Edmund Howard

I going to miss the group invasion of the Colorado clan, but me and the Mrs. are going to sneak in on our own a couple of weeks sooner.  We wanted to make it last year and things just didn't work out.  Barring any unforeseen problems, we're planning to be there on the 18th & 19th.  Thanks for the hotel suggestions.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Blushing, the Baron and Baroness from your shire and us from the Midlands will be progressing on the 9, 10 and 11th - maybe change your travel date?

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Gauwyn, you mean October 9, 10, and 11?  Is that Columbus Day weekend?

We just bought season passes, so we'll see you there!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on August 30, 2010, 08:50:05 PM
Gauwyn, you mean October 9, 10, and 11?  Is that Columbus Day weekend?

We just bought season passes, so we'll see you there!

That would be correct - October
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Amyj

Looks like Captain Bob of the USS Drinksalot will be taking us on our annual westpac from St. Louis the weekend of Sept 18 & 19.  Hope to see the Wheatie and his Mrs. there!!!  This year we are mixing it up and getting an ELECTRIC campsite for the PUP Camper...OOooooooooooo!!!!!  :D  (Since the crew has demanded my taco salad AND chili for meals, the electric fan should be a major plus  :o )
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH