News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cape May Renaissance Festival, Cape May, NJ

Started by FaireGirl69, August 26, 2010, 02:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaireGirl69

http://www.accesstoart.org/cape-may-renaissance-festival.html

Join us for the
Cape May Renaissance Festival
October 2nd and 3rd, 2010

From 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days at Willow Creek Farm & Vineyard, 168 Stevens Street, West Cape May, NJ
- Dolores in PA

"If they outlaw guns, can we go back to using swords?" - bumper sticker saying

Bolton_Bailiffe

BubbleWright

I preface my comments with the comment that my expectations for a first time weekend Renfaire (indeed, any one or two weekend established Faire) are far different than those I have for a full seasoned Renaissance Faire. A new Faire will be rough around the edges. Allowance is made for starting with an empty site versus an established infrastructure. Are the creators of the Faire versed in the Renfaire culture or community folk looking to produce an event? It makes a difference. I think the judgement to be made is what have they accomplished, not what I think they should have accomplished.

I attended the Cape May Renaissance Festival on Saturday October 2nd and came in garb as a playtron, bringing my Renaissance Bubble Machine. For a first time event it came off quite well. Starting with an empty field next to rows of grape arbors, a whole tent city was laid out for the village. The main stage and eating area had large tents to shield the crowd from the sun. For entertainment there were a number of groups and individual artists who sang and played period instruments as well as courtly dancers. And not to forget, the requisite juggler/magician who did shows and wandered the grounds. Finally, there was a re-enactors soldier group who periodically fired their matchlocks and cannons throughout the day. The food vendors were placed along the side of the field, close for access but not too close to intrude (since these were commercial vendors operating out of trucks and trailers). Clothing, jewelry, and various other vendors were spread throughout the village. The French Bakery was an attraction all on its own. While there were a few porta-privies, there was also a large trailer off to the side that had flush toilets.

I think the hard work that was done for the event was obvious in the preparation of the site. There is more to be done, however, to get the visitors into a Renaissance frame of mind. Queens's Court was scheduled for 1:30 PM which seemed to be a bit late. Perhaps also a little more interaction in the lanes could be had. More period vendors would add to the ambiance. But these are only observations of a seasoned faire goer. The visitors to the Shire were entertained, educated, and well fed. I applaud the efforts of all involved with a well deserved HUZZAH!
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Bolton_Bailiffe