News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Storage"

Started by LAVAGODDESSSS, August 26, 2010, 07:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAVAGODDESSSS

I wasn't sure how else to ask this. Obviously I've seen many many belts with bags, pouches, leather 'boxes', etc for storing all sorts of things.

But I have a few questions....

1. I don't want to actually really wear a belt, It'll ruin the 'line' of my ensemble in one of my garbs, but perhaps not in the other....But for the one I do not want to wear a belt, what do I hang 'something' from?

2. What sorts of things may I not have thought of, short of spending a load on a leather pouch, to store things like my business cards, a small camera, id...m.oney.

I don't want to spend more money at this point, so curious as to what you think?  The local thrift store doesn't have anything - just looked. :(

Maybe I can get some 'no sew' and glue some fabric together for a pouch, but not sure. Ideas?

Beauty is found in those who take the time to build you up.

TheAlchemistsStar

Some people sew "D" rings to the underside of the bottom of their corset.  This allows one to hang pouches and other items from the bodice without wearing a belt.  As for storing small things, I never underestimate the power of the cleavage storage area. 
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

GirlChris

Baskets are quite good for carrying things around. You can also steal an idea from a slightly later period and make pouches that tie around the waist under the skirt.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Thanks for the tips, didn't think of sewing d rings into the underside of my corset. I can't do so to some of them, as they are reversible. I wonder if I could try to sew at at the 'seam' (literally the bottom). Or maybe sew in a ribbon that I can tie things to...I dunno, I'll have to think on it. The reversible part makes it tricky!

As for storing in the cleavage, that is where it has been stored, I just don't like it...that's why I want something to store things in, I hate putting things in my bra. I mean, I know we women do it all the time, but I'm tired of the id getting sweaty, having to dig for things and I just don't feel it is secure. I hate putting things there. The girls should be treated with more respect than to carry my money! They are sensitive ladies and should be treated with reverence. :)

I like the pouch idea,but I don't want to spend money on one. I was hoping someone had some nifty ideas on how to make one or what I could use in my house that I haven't thought of??? (Thrift store is out...they have nothing).

operafantomet

Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on August 27, 2010, 01:35:19 AM
I like the pouch idea, but I don't want to spend money on one. I was hoping someone had some nifty ideas on how to make one or what I could use in my house that I haven't thought of??? (Thrift store is out...they have nothing).

Why not make a flat pouch/loose pocket? It can be made from nearly any fabric, with a slit in front, and decorated at will. In the renaissance embroidery was popular, as well as trimming it with ribbons and/or buttons, or sew down a thick cord in a decorative manner. If you're on a tight budged, use a decorative dish towel, sewing scraps or or plain cotton. The benefit of the flat shape is that it lays close to your body, and is more practical when walking compared to a round pouch. It can also be fairly big without problems.

It could be worn under the dress, as it was reached through a slit in the skirt, or it could be worn on top of the skirt. Some examples:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/firenze3/allori1575-78gaddi.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/firenze3/allori1595cortona.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/firenze3/alloripitti1589g.jpg

More here, with both historical and recreated examples:
http://aneafiles.webs.com/saccoccia.html
http://purplefiles.net/katerina/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html

Rosamundi

Just for fun and inspiration, here are some pouchy/drawstringy items you may already have lying around the house:

- Crown Royale liquor bag
- Shoe pouches
- China storage bags
- Silverware storage bags (not the kind with built-in polishing rosin, though)
- XL-size tube socks (cut off any ribbing, tie off the top, and it'll do in a pinch)

Good luck! That's a bummer about your thrift store; ours is my main go-to for pouches and purses.
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

LAVAGODDESSSS

Rosamundi -
EXACTLY what I was looking for. I honestly do have some of those around! THANK YOU! Now, I'm going to make my husband carry my purse. HA! Thank you for being so kind to take time to respond!

Operafantomet -
Actually very good to know! I wanted to make one, so this is perfect too. I'm going to have to wait until after our big Ren weekend this weekend, or maybe now you've done gone and made me want to sew. *sobs* I'm gonna bleed again. LOL, I never can sew without sewing myself to whatever I'm making. Thank you for so many images, they really help. You've gone above and beyond. Thank you!

Rowan MacD

You may be able to add a pocket to your skirt, opening along one of the seams and hanging inside, like pants pockets so they don't show.
  My calico Victorian dress has 2 built in to the skirts and they are virtually invisible. Make sure they are reasonably deep, so your valuables don't fall out when you sit down. 
   Not really suitable for really heavy/large items, but good for paper money, credit cards and maybe your camera.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

LAVAGODDESSSS

Quote from: Rowen MacD on August 30, 2010, 10:17:55 AM
   You may be able to add a pocket to your skirt, opening along one of the seams and hanging inside, like pants pockets so they don't show.
  My calico Victorian dress has 2 built in to the skirts and they are virtually invisible. Make sure they are reasonably deep, so your valuables don't fall out when you sit down. 
   Not really suitable for really heavy/large items, but good for paper money, credit cards and maybe your camera.

Is it bad Im scared I'm just going to make myself vents in my skirt? i.e. large holes. I actually, after this season is done, see if I can send it back to my dearest seamstress and ask her to put in pockets!

For those who want some info on how my search is going (exciting! I know), I found one crown royale bag and my role playing dice bag (woot leather!!!)

So that should be more than enough for now. But I cannot hang it anywhere yet. Hm....'nother prob.

Dinobabe

In a pinch....
safety pins under the bodice!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

What Dinobabe said! That's what I did when I didn't want to wear a belt with my pink corset:

But I made sure to carry an absolute minimum of stuff: credit card, ID, a little cash, my phone, and my pillbox. And actually, I think I had Milord carry the phone. You don't want to put too much weight on the bodice/corset itself, or you'll distort the line of your garb or break the safety pin!

There's a really good thread from earlier this year where Auntiegiggles--I think--made a gorgeous red velvet medieval gown and had the same question. She ended up with an ingenious solution, but at the moment I can't remember exactly what it was! I'll see if I can hunt that down.

Here it is: http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=12065.0

LAVAGODDESSSS

ArielCallista

For my Snow White noble gown I added hidden piped pockets on the inside, in the facing of the split front...I can't find any pics and I'm not up for unloading my garb truck to get out that beast of a skirt...but what I did was slit holes in the facing of the split front skirt and found a tutorial on piped pockets...made some of those custom to the size of my cell phone, camera, keys and cards/cash...I had 4 pockets in it. I felt really crafty for thinking of it, my stuff fit perfectly, and I didn't have to worry about keeping track of a basket or anything. Of course this only directly applies to split front skirts, but I'm sure theres something like this you can do to give yourself easy to deal with secret pockets built into your garb
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Rani Zemirah

You can always string your pouch onto a thin cord/ribbon that you tie around your waist under your corset, and let it hang down from underneath.  As long as the drawstrings are long enough to allow you to open it and reach in without undoing the cord, anyway... 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede