News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Gypsy Tale

Started by SarviaRose, June 04, 2008, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORSEMAN

The sun was hanging low in the sky when I decided this thing must be done, I untethered my horse as I always did before any battle so that if I die he might be able too fend for himself, he's a good animal and seldom wanders far from the field I leave him in unless I stay gone too long.

The brush is so thick I decided upon a foot attack, leaving my spear and shield behind but arming myself with my knife,sword, bearded axe and the two small crossbows I use too layway coaches but this time it wouldn't be that easy.

I made my way too near enough too the mens camp where I could see one laying asleep by the campfire, one carving upon a piece of bone and the other busy dragging in dead brush for the fire and the long cold night ahead, I approached cautiously but easily due too the noise made by the man dragging brush for I knew that these men would fight not surrender like so many frightened peasants so I got as close as I dared to them before showing myself then with a crossbow in each hand and at a distance of about 20 foot not even a blindman could miss.

I waited for a second as the man dragging brush walked back away from camp into the trees about fifty yards away then I moved forward, the men in camp didn't even seem alarmed with all the noise the other fellow was making so I was into the camp before they could react.

The man carving immediately charged at me with his knife in hand yelling like a banshee, I raised and fired sending a bolt deep into the center of his chest and he jerked over backwards as if kicked by a horse, the other man still drowsy was grabbing for his sword as I loosed the other crossbow into his eye and he groaned and fell back motionless.

It was then I realized the man with the brush was charging at me with a huge axe, all I could do was parry his attack with the empty crossbow which shattered under the massive strike then with my left hand I swung as hard as I could knocking him backwards but for a second, then threw the other useless crossbow into his next attack giving me time enough too draw my sword and met him head on blocking his attacks blow for blow while my sword dug deep into his  axe handle he staggered back as I swung again with all my might slashing my sword through the soft part of his neck mortally wounding him.

He fell back with blood spraying from his wound and quickly died, the other two were already dead.

Now came my grim task of bringing notice of they're defeat too the old gypsy woman, I took my axe and beheaded each of the three and carried they're heads by the long course hair atop them.

I noticed one of they're horses saddled and ready so I mounted it then rode back around too where I'd first seen the old gypsy and there I cut three stakes chest high driving each into the ground and placing ones head upon each, my debt too her was complete and now as a warrior I returned too claim they're belongs as my own and sell them at the next village.

I returned too my own camp gathering my belongings and horse then rode too the well stocked camp of the men, they had deer upon the spit and wine in flasks besides a already warm fire, so I dragged what was left of them far enough away the wolves could feast tonight as I would!.

SarviaRose

Fenella listened as the night wore on, she was able to hear what the others could not. She heard the forth man head towards the came of the three evil ones. She could barely hear that a battle had started, she worried for the forth one not knowing who exactly was or where he had come from. The old woman was grateful that he was there to help them at this moment. When the old Chovani was sure he had won she went back to talk with Caitlyn's family.

"George, Louise, and Jasper; the forth man has handled the three evil ones. However I am  still unable to read his heart but I am glad he was here to help us. I feel we will meet him soon and I think a friend of yours is coming also Cait."

Jasper looked up at her and smiled as did the others.

"Does this mean Lord Harrington won't come after me anymore? And which friend?" Caitlyn asked know the answer to the first questions and wondering which friend it could be, she didn't have very many.

"I am sorry child I don't know the answer to those questions but for the moment you are safe from him. It will take awhile for him to learn of their deaths. The other it is someone who cares and worries about you ."

Louise watched her daughter with worry one  problem was fixed temporally however, Fenella still had not been able to get a reading on Marynia. Louise also knew that they could not hold off much longer on telling Caitlyn about the Sharrafi Kralyissa and what it meant to her. She looked over at Caitlyn and see she was still uneasy about the possibility that the bostaris Lord Harrington was still looking for her. Louise turned and hugged George.

"George how do we tell her that he isn't the only one who is looking for her. Marynia is far worse that  Gorgiken rat Harrington."

George hugged his wife and tried to not look worried trying not let Caitlyn know they where worried.

"Jasper we need to go find Molly and Chad and let them know that we are safe, for now." Caitlyn said taking Jasper's hand.

"Cait, you know we will keep you as safe as we can. But yes lets go find your sister and Chad." Jasper gave Caitlyn a kiss and than they headed to where Chad and Molly where.

"Jasper do you remember the song Sharrafi Kralyissa from one of my first nights here?"

"Yes"

"You had an odd tone when you told me the name. What does it mean? I feel like it means something for me like it is not just a song."

"I don't know if I can" Jasper replied.

There was a large crash in the woods behind them and the couple jumped and in one fluid movement Jasper was in front of Caitlyn with his knife drawn. The both watched as whatever was in the woods came towards them.

"Jenny, is that you?" Caitlyn said as the figure came closer.

"Lady Cait, I have finally found you."

Jasper stepped aside to let the friends greet each other.

"Oh, Jenny I am so glad to see you. Do you remember Jasper?"

"It is good to see you again Jenny and welcome."

"Cait I am going to go get Molly and Chad. I will meet you back at your parent's wagon."

Caitlyn turned to hug Jasper and give him a kiss. "I will see you soon, please hurry."

"Oh Lady Cait you look beautiful and that Jasper is more handsome than I remember."

"Jenny I love it hear I am picking up on the lifestyle very quickly like I never left." Caitlyn took Jenny's hand and lead her to her parent's wagon.

"Never left?" Jenny asked.

"Yes, do you remember George and Johnny?" Jenny nodded her head, Caitlyn continued. "They are my dad and brother. Molly whom Jasper was going to get is my twin sister but with black hair and my mom is Louise. I disappeared when I was little and some how we found each other again."

"That is amazing, Lady Cait. Just amazing."

Caitlyn laughed and lead Jenny to meet her family. Fenella was still with them when Caitlyn arrived, from the smile on her face told them at this is the friend that was coming. Louise already had a plate of food read and a change of clothes.

"Dad, Mom, Johnny, and Fenella; this is my friend Jenny."

"Welcome Jenny, Please sit and eat and after you have had your fill I have set out some clothes for you." Louise said hugging Jenny.

"You are very welcome here, Cait has spoken of you and that you cared for her and helped her escape." George said with a smile.

"Lady Cait is very kind. I could not help but like her and worry for her."

"Jenny my child please eat. You can tell us about your travels when you are full and changed."

Jasper, Molly and Chad entered the area as Jenny was eating. She watched as Caitlyn's face light up at the sight of Jasper a far cry from the fear she would see in her eyes when Lord Harrington came into sight; she smiled. Jenny looked at Molly and was taken aback she was Caitlyn's twin except for hair color.

"Molly, Chad; this is my friend Jenny."

The couple smiled and Molly took a seat next to her. As soon as she was full Caitlyn took her into the wagon to help her change into her new clothes.

"I know you will feel underdressed but the clothes are very comfortable. You will like them. Mom and Molly will make new clothes with what you have brought"

Jenny had no problems with clothes but the waist cincher was something new to her. Caitlyn laughed as she helped her with it.

"Oh Jenny you look lovely. Come lets go back out side"

Jenny was suddenly very nervous about how she looked in the gypsy clothing. Jenny was dressed in a dark green skirt and white shirt like the one Caitlyn was wearing, Caitlyn had tied a green scarf a few shades lighter than the skirt in her hair.

"I'm not use to wearing my hair down, Lady Cait."

"Please just Cait and you have lovely hair a warm dark brown that matches your eyes. Now come"

Caitlyn pushed Jenny towards the door. Jenny smiled as she took in the reactions of Caitlyn's family. Caitlyn followed her out with a smile on her face and went to Jasper's side.

"Jenny you look great." George replied

"Yes, I agree" Louise said with a warm smile on her face.

"Jenny how did you come to be here?" Fenella asked.

"When the Lord came back and found Lady Cait, Cait  gone; he wanted to know if any of us knew where you went. He called me into his study I told him you where gone and no more. He didn't believe me and slapped me; I decided than and there to leave and very grateful that Cait was gone. I gather what little money I had went in the direction I remember the gypsies leaving in. I kept my ears open in ever village for news. And now I am here."

"One visitor down and one more to go." Fenella said mostly to herself but everyone looked up at her. "Jenny would you like to stay with me until we reach the winter camping area?"

"Oh that would be great, Thank you so much."

"I am so happy you are here Jenny. Go get some rest it is late." Caitlyn hugged her friend and smiled at her.
Morale Ofc of the Bayou Scoundrel, ETTE, IFRP

NORSEMAN

The next day the sky hung dark upon the horizon and lightening flashed without thunder, this was a wierd and ominious thing and I knew there was something afoot something no sword can cut or shield hold back.

I gathered my things and the booty I'd taken from the men whose camp this once was and loaded it upon the three horse of theirs, they travelled very heavily and had much iron pots and provisions, obviously they were well supplied by someone for they looked not the type to have such conveyance.

The rain began crashing down in sheets and the North wind howled, the woods can seem a very lonely and deserted place when one is cold and miserable so the idea struck me that maybe I could trade with the gypsies for food and lodging from this horrid storm and began the short track toward their camp.

I finaly reached it with the now driving rain stinging my face I dismounted and stood alone at the camp all were inside the wagons when suddenly a face appeared from one wagon and a warning yell echoed throughout the camp, my first reaction was too finger my sword but then I decided too hold up my empty hand as gesture that I meant no harm.

SarviaRose

Jasper rain through the rain to Caitlyn's wagon, he was disappointed it was raining it was going to be crowded in the wagon. He hoped that Molly was over at Chad's and Johnny was visiting a friend. He knocked on the door and was just about to open the door when Caitlyn answered it.

"Jasper, get yourself in here. Why are you out in this?"

Jasper only smiled and came in. Caitlyn took a seat next to him glad that her siblings has decided to visit other people. George and Louise where smiling at the young couple. They spent the time together talking and learning about Caitlyn's years when she was lost to them. Every now and than Caitlyn would squeeze Jasper's hand when she talked about Lord Harrington and her few months with him. Louise and Caitlyn where making some food for a light lunch when the alarm was raised. Jasper and George where out of the wagon before Caitlyn could ask about the noise. Caitlyn turned to Louise with a questioning look on her face.

"It will be okay Cait, your dad and Jasper and the other men will be able to handle whatever it is."

Caitlyn was not convinced and started to head toward the door.

NORSEMAN

The men I believed realized what I wanted and one took my horses as I grabbed the bag containing my trade items from its back and they hurried me inside one of the tents set up, since it was storming so very badly little could be corresponded outside.

Once inside they immediately asked my purpose for being there of which I told them I had hoped too trade items for lodging and food, at this they brought out some wine and we sat down beside the fire with the men telling me too make my bargain.

I scanned the tightly packed tent but seemed not too locate the old woman which had helped me but I knew well that she knew I was there and had likely told the elders there.

I slowly with cold numb hands withdrew several items the gypsies seemed too want very badly, one a medium cooking kettle of heavy iron, a copper teapot and ladle, these worth much more than a nights rent.

The headman whom I still hadn't met formally fingered the items smiled and passed them onto another man who nodded yes, at this he looked toward me and said for these we will entertain you three days and then if you wish too trade for more the price will be higher!.

This I took to be an old gypsy trick knowing for well the items value but since I decided that who could know what might happen in three days and since I'd not paid for the articles myself I'd nothing too loose and we agreed, at this he motioned too a woman and in a foreign tongue spoke words I did not understand and she disappeared outside but soon returned with a large plate of food and gave it too me.

NORSEMAN

I'd barely finished eatting when I'd notice several of the men had gone outside, some of the others were eyeing me ominiously.

Feeling strange I got up and went outside too find a man telling a story of how after the rain had stopped he went outside too gather some bark for a tea and he looked up into the sky and saw a face forming in the clouds.

I laughed at first which wasn't the exact right responce for I was siezed by several of the gypsy men and dragged back into the tent, where the elders made them release me but explained that the face the man had seen in the clouds was very real and it was the product of witchcraft.

He further explained that the people were uncertain as too my being there they think I might be an agent of whatever witch had done this manifestation and he said he must demand my story of it and my presence for they are a superstitious people and demand too know.

This I felt fair enough considering the circumstances although the thoughts of fighting it out with them did croos my mind.

I explained too them they had nothing too fear from me, that I had come originally from the far North, I had no idea what my name was for as a child I was sold as an apprentice to a merchant and spent most of my childhood being exchanged between other merchants as my obediance was far from perfect.

Finally I was thrown too the streets and have lived by my wits since the age of about 12, I use whatever name suits me at the time and take a name familiar with the people of whom I am around at the time.

I mean no harm too your people and am alone in my travels, "I felt it best not too inform them that my last occupation was that of highwayman", sold I told them I was simply a man in search of that which only he can know when he finds it.

They seemed somewhat satisfied with this explination but still very weary of me and somewhat aprehensive that they'd made the deal to feed and give me shelter for the three days, but at long last they all left me alone in the tent and I sat by the fire deciding what I should do since they now had all my belongings and my horses.

SarviaRose

I started to get frustrated as everyone tried to keep me in the wagon, my mom ran after me calling for me to come back. Than Molly saw me heading towards the tent tried to distract me with talk of her upcoming wedding.

"Molly please let me go I want to see who is here."

"Cait I don't think that is a good idea go back to the wagon." Molly placed her hands around my arms trying to hold me back.

I pulled my arms free with strength I never knew I had and started to run just to hit another obstacle.

"Cait, go back to the wagon."

"Jasper, no I want to see who is here."

"Why do you want to know so badly?"

"Because I want to make sure it's not Lord Harrington."

This made Jasper stop and stare at her. His anger he felt towards her for not wanting to listen to him or her family left and the anger he felt towards the Lord took its place. He suddenly hugged her.

"Cait, I could get Jenny to take a peek at him."

I stared up at him anger growing mad that people where not letting me do this for myself.

"Jasper I need to do this, please you don't understand."

Jasper shook his head. "Your dad my kill me for this. We will have to be careful not to be seen not just by the visitor but by your dad also"

Jasper lightly brushed the wet hair that had fallen into my face and placed it behind my ear. We headed toward the tent keeping low and trying to avoid anyone how might see us. We where near the tent when the stranger came out. Jasper pulled me behind the nearest wagon; I heard Jasper let out a cruse.

"It's not him, Jasper." I turned and hugged him close and without thinking gave him a kiss.

I felt cold all the sudden the adrenaline rush was wearing off, I shivered against Jasper.

"Come on silly, let's get you back to the wagon, you are soaked."

I smiled up at him and ran towards the wagon laughing as Jasper ran after me. I somehow managed to beat him to the door but just barely. My mom was waiting and when she saw the looks on Jasper face and than mine she couldn't help but laugh and smile. I could still see the worry in her eyes.
"Get in here both of you, I will find dry clothes for you. There is hot tea also. And you young lady what do you think you where doing?"

Jasper put his hand up before I could answer. "She wanted to make sure it wasn't the bostaris." The hate in his voice was not disguised.

"Cait, go change I'll put up a blanket for some privacy" Louise said. "Jasper you turn the other way just to be safe. When she is done you will switch"

I let out a laugh and went to a corner of the wagon to change, followed by Louise who true to her word hung a blanket over a line. I patted myself dry before changing into the dry clothes. The shirt was almost identical to the one she had been wearing the day they stopped in the town and the skirt was a beautiful shade of dark blue almost purple, Louise had a matching scarf to go with it.

"Hurry up Cait I'm getting cold."

I came back out surprised that my mom had left. "Where did she go?"

"I think she went to see if your dad wanted some food and it has stopped raining. I also think she my have wanted to give us some time alone."

Jasper sat up and kissed me before heading behind the blanket to change into the dry clothes that Louise laid out for him.

"So Cait that color looks great on you. Do you need help with the waist cincher?"

At this point Jasper came back out taking the blanket down. I smiled up at him and showed him I managed to do it myself, he let out a laugh.

"You look very nice in those clothes, Jasper." I took a few steps towards him and gave him a kiss.

I felt Jasper's arms go around me and tighten as he kissed me back. There was a knock at the door and we broke the kiss. Molly poked her head in.

"Come on you to it is lovely out here now that the rain has stopped."

I took Jasper's hand and we headed outside.

NORSEMAN

The women of the gypsy camp began making preparations for some type of magical warfare against the witch who cast her face into the clouds, they hurriedly spread strong smelling herbs about the wagons and tents one of the gypsy girls brought me a small bag containing some unknown charms which she bade me too wear round my neck for protection against evil.

It was at this time that the gypsy leader came fourth too me and bade me accompany several of his men into the forest as protection for them while they gathered deer and boar for what now seemed like would be a longer time in camp here as the women and conjurers worked feverishly delving into just what had happened and where it came from.

There was one young lad standing there staring back toward his girl with the look of aprehension about him, I asked his name and he replied he was Jasper, I told him never fear Jasper many times I've dealt with these spooks who cast their reflection from afar and yet I've never seen one who could really do anything least they already would have, making poppets to scare children is the extent of their powers.

While saying this I'm not sure I tried too reasure Jasper or myself for witchcraft has always been a thing I'd avoided if at all possible!, then we all started into the forest and the mood lightened as we took to the hunt.

NORSEMAN

We moved through the forest and began using an old poachers trick of having several men move in from each side at an angle creating a triangle shape then once linking together move toward the open end of the angle pushing all the game inside toward the mouth of it and into the ready bows of hunters placed there and hidden.We got lucky this day for we took four deer but no boar, numerous rabbits and other creatures.

The men set too work skinning the valuable animals and dressing the meat for smoking, this not being part of my job I took young Jasper and walked down too the clear creek running in the distance, it was here that the most remarkable thing happened.

I sat down and poured cool water over my neck and head as Jasper waded into the clear water apparently sailing a boat shaped leaf!, this went on for a while and the  day being relatively warm I was just enjoying life resting against a tree beside the creek with my eyes shut then things became very quiet almost alarmingly quiet.

I opened my eyes and saw Jasper still in the  creek but abandoning his toy he stood there holding a long cylindrical object, my curiosity got the better of me and I waded out into the creek beside him.

The thing he held was obviously manmade but still crude, it seemed too be solid crystal but was nearly eight inches long and tapered down too a rounded point at one end with the other end having a globular highly polished ball nearly two inches in diameter!.
I took the object from him and examined it more closely the shaft was worked but still appeared rough and it had several protusions along the sides which at first I took to be flaws in a primative magic charm but only then did I realize these weren't flaws etal but intensional protrusions much like teeth on a key but set in random patterns completely around the shaft as though it actually were a key but unlike anything I'd ever seen!.

Jasper suddenly said "I'll go get the women, they'll know especially the old woman!".

He dashed off and I stood there holding the thing unsure if I hadn't rather rebury it in the creek bed but before I could react Jasper could be heard running back, I waded out of the water and stood to meet the gypsies coming.

SarviaRose

Lord Harrington was fuming when he got word that the three men had disappeared. He needed to stop and think about what the next step would be.

He knew he couldn't go look for her without having any idea of where she is.

"Damn the Gypsies" He cursed and kicked out at the nearest item. "I will find you Caitlyn and I will make you pay for leaving me."

SarviaRose

I watched as Jasper left with the stranger and headed back to where my mother was hanging out some wet clothes to dry.

"Can I help?"

"Certainly." Louise said with a smile.

Jenny came to join them, Caitlyn gave her a hug hoping that Jenny was adjusting to life with the gypsies as easily as she had.

"Mom what was all the activity earlier? I feel like I am missing something important."

Louise looked up at me with a worried look in her eyes; she looked wearily over to Fenella.

"I don't know if I can explain it fully my daughter."

I gave up she wasn't going to tell me anything, I looked over at Fenella and wondered if she would be able to tell me what is going on. I started to walk over to her when I saw Jasper running back to camp.

"Fenella" He shouted "Come quick we have found something. I don't know what it is and neither does he"

Fenella shot a look and said nothing to me but motioned to Jasper to take her to the object he and the stranger had found. I followed feeling like something was telling me that I should be there also. I could hear my mother yelling after me as and than yelling to my father to go after me. It mad me angry that the would not let me go with Fenella other people where going with them why couldn't I. I ran faster and could almost touch Jasper when we got to the creek. I looked up at the stranger he was so different than anyone I had ever seen before and than my eyes wondered to his hands to the object he was holding. I felt arms around me and looked to see Jasper, I smiled up at him, I could also see my father trying to make his way to me.

"Cait, come here please." It was Fenella. "now chavi don't be afraid I am her and I will protect you."

"I don't understand."

"Fenella she isn't ready she doesn't know who she is yet." I could hear my father saying to Fenella.

"Are you sure she is ready?" Jasper asked the old Chovahani.

I smiled at Jasper, even though I was confused about that was going on at least he seemed to have faith in me.

"George, she knows who she is it just needs to be reawakened in her and this object will help and as for your question Jasper yes I think she is ready." Fenella turned to me and continued "You might not understand now but you will, you are an important person to us not just a daughter to your parents or the love of Jasper or even the wife of that Gorgiken rat; you are more than just a person. Take the object and tell me what you see."

I walked toward the stranger and held out my hand, I could see he was uneasy with handing over the strange object to me; truthfully I was scared to touch it. The object started shine brightly as my fingers touched it. I took it into my hand and felt like I was being blinded and burning.

"Fenella, I can't do this it is burning me."

I could hear Jasper, my dad, and the stranger all tell Fenella something but I couldn't make it out clearly.

"Cait, you are fine. You are not burning. What do you see?"

"I don't know I see people it is like memories but they aren't mine."

"Good, Cait. You can hand it to me know, we still have to find the key before it will revlive everything to you."

I handed the object to the old woman and than felt arms around me.

"Cait are you okay?" I heard Jasper ask.

"I think so and will you please tell what all this Blessed Queen, Sharrafi Kralyissa stuff is about?"

Jasper, my father George, the stranger, and a few others stared at me.

"I never translated that for you, how do you know what Sharrafi Kralyissa mean?" Jasper asked not sure if the look in his eyes was worry or delight.

"I'm not sure." I replied and looked over to Fenella and than to my father they both had smiles on their faces.

NORSEMAN

What magic is this I thought?, the girl speaks of things she doesn't know!.

In Duseldorf I'd seen this sort of thing once before then the good Christians stepped in to make things safe for everyone and burned half of the women in the surrounding countryside and I knew it would be no different here if word of this gets out so I slowly walked back toward the camp alone thinking hard of what too do and attracting the attention of several of the men.

They asked me what was wrong did the magic effect you?.

I told them no that my worries were more for the safety of them than the effects of whatever indeed did happen and bade them gather they're weapons and begin training for certain with this sort of thing happening they'll be trouble!.

It was then I was informed there were no real weapons!, oh maybe a couple bows and arrows or even an old rusty spear but nothing of much use!.
It was at this I excelled for once old enough to be put in the army I was thrust into training in what was called a stick group, this simply meant that we were poor and lacked weapons so we used sticks for swords and quickly learned too use these sticks with deadly results!.

My Captain was a vicious German knight who loved punishing training as much as he did women or wine!, he taught us by what he called "THE LESSON OF THE BRUISE", this meant since we used sticks instead of real swords we were expected to really fight while in armor and even under chainmail these stout sticks left painfull bruises and welts!.

The one thing this teaches a man is very quickly to learn too defend himself from attack or end up so bruised by him you couldn't raise a cup!, truly this punishment while severe bore results beyond expectation as we hacked away at each other with full force rather than the ordinary soldiers who practiced with swords and couldn't learn because as the German said "to learn with the sword is too die fore you are never allowed a full attack for fear of injury!, but with the stick you can beat a man senceless".

His training proved true for soon my company was defeating the other squads with simple sticks and they had steel swords!, he told us to learn well because we were useless peasants and didn't rate a sword so our first battle we fought with sticks but we soon took many swords from our enemies and this is how we gained our arms but the road was hard and many died but as he said we were useless to them but quickly our training came through and many of my company were promoted too lead fallen officers of other companies, I too was later promoted too command a squad before the wars ended.

So this is how I told them they would learn, but I'd try too get as many weapons as we could before an actual battle!.

The men were apprehensive but they also knew too survive they had too learn!.

NORSEMAN

As the day wore on and the shadows of the trees stretched long upon the openings in the forest the men continued the awkward if not totally futile attempts at turning gypsies into a fighting force not too mention the fact that the numbers there were not enough too engage even a small trained group of men much less knights, still one does as one can and a little knowledge might actually help them.

My glances couldn't keep from turning too the camp and watching the women as they delved into something of their own design, that girl the one who spoke of the things she did not know, she troubled me and who was this man who wanted her back so very badly?.

I continued on with the little training I could give too this ragtag group and at long last they began too show a little improvement.

Finally toward dark I brought my band back too the camp, they smell of roasted venison made my mouth water and for the first time since I'd arrived I seemed almost at ease with the gypsies.

SarviaRose

I waited for Fenella, Jasper anyone to tell me something. After awhile I ran towards camp because it seemed to me that no one still wanted to tell what was going on, it was making me angry. I could hear someone running after me I knew it was Jasper but I didn't care, for the first time since I came to be with my real family I just wanted to be alone. I saw Jenny helping my mother with some chores and I ran past them and into the wagon and locked the door so Jasper couldn't follow me.

"Cait please open up."

I tried to tell him I wanted to be alone but he wasn't listening. Awhile later I could hear the stranger talking with some of the men in camp and I urged Jasper to join them. When I was sure he was gone I came out of the tent and asked Jenny if she would go for a walk with me, she was the only one I could think of who might understand how frustrating this was to me. Louise just looked at me with that look of worry on her face and a look like everything I wanted to know was just on the tip of her tongue.

"Jenny I don't know what to do. Something is going on and it revolves around me but no one will tell me what it is or why it is so important."

"Oh Lady Cait, I'm sure you will learn what is going on shortly. Did you really we those things? Staying with Fenella I have learned that there is magic and I am certain that she and you both have magic in you."

I stared at Jenny growing you with a noble family magic was something to feared and shunned.

"I agree it is magic but I'm scared. First Lord Harrington is hunting me and now I feel there is someone else more dangerous than him looking for me also or will be soon."

Jenny gave me a hug and tried to tell me that I will learn everything that I need to soon, I still wasn't convinced. I headed back towards camp to try and talk with Fenella but it seemed like she was avoiding me. I felt confused first it seemed she was happy that I could see what I saw and now not.

"Mom why won't you, dad or Fenella explain this to me?"

I watched as Louise lowered her head and than hugged me tight.

"Fenella wants to but I asked her and George not to tell you, Jasper also. I wanted you to live normally you've been gone so long and I want you to be happy as a young woman should be. However I don't think we can keep you need the dark much longer."

"So your going to tell me?"

"No, I'm not Fenella will when she returns in a few weeks."

I gave up once again and went to find Jasper but he was busy with the stranger he was teaching a group of men how to fight. This gave me an idea I just needed to get up the courage. It was late that evening when Jasper returned he looked at me with his face full of worry and pain. I walked over to him and have him a kiss.

"I'm sorry Jasper. I want to know what is going on."

He gave me a hug and said he was sorry also and that he had promised my family and Fenella not to tell me even though he wished he could. We went to my families wagon to eat dinner, I asked Jasper about the stranger and the training that he was doing.

After a week or so of trying to get up the courage I went to ask the stranger my question. I waited until after Jasper joined us to eat and than I excused myself. The stranger was alone which had become a rare sight these days.

"Sir?" He turned to look at me, he seemed alarmed to see me. "I have a favor to ask of you."

After a pause responded "What is your favor?"

"Will you teach me to fight?" He looked at me in surprise, I continued. "I am tried of other fighting for me. I want to be able to fight for myself if I have to."

NORSEMAN

So you want too learn too fight little gypsy?, but then your not a gypsy are you?, oh no not at all I think thats why the people here are so suspicious of everyone!.

But then thats none of my concern anyway, you know you may have more abilities than you think if your power is as great as it would seem, I once saw a woman in Duseldorf make a pile of clothes burst into flames by concentrating upon it but I can hardly help you with that.

In answer too your question, yes I can teach you too fight but its hard too fight sometimes, some men wear swords and weapons out where everyone will know they are knights or attempting too act like them then there are other who hide their weapons.

I think you are somewhere in between that you do need to know how too fight but you don't want too become a knight, for this you must learn too use what is ordinary like a staff or a dagger, you see to fight you always don't need a sword.

I once saw a man being chased by two robbers after his purse, he pulled his purse loose from his belt and emptied the coins into his hand and turned then threw the coins into they're faces!.
This so surprised the fiends one took a coin in the eye and both stopped too pick up the silver lying there letting the man get away.

They're greed outsmarted them for he had a purse of gold as well as the small silver change the threw too them, you see had he turned and fought them he might had died and lost all being outnumbered and an old man against two young thugs but with his training he got away with his gold and went too the local magistrate and the men were arrested in a tavern not far from where they waylaid him and were identified by the welts left from the flying coins and the put out eye!.

Do you understand what I tell you?, to fight is sometimes to use your brain as well as your weapons!.

Now too start!, you will learn like the men but you will beat the men and do you know why?, they are learning with three foot long sticks the size of swords and you will learn this also but first you must learn how too defend yourself not attack.

Attacks are easy any fool can swing wildly with a sword, but too block and pary now that takes skill and its the mens next lesson but you will learn it first!.

Now keep your staff up and at the ready standing like your going too hit a snake lying before you holding the stick about one third up from the bottom, this way you have leverage and a much longer reach than a swordsman so its easy too knock his sword aside and but him in the face with the tip of your staff, both ends are equal and both can fight if there be two men one swing can throw your weapon out of the guard position but the other end is there and can also be used against the second man, once you learn too use a staff the sword is actually easy.

Once you've learned this somewhat I'll show you where too hit someone too hurt them and also where too kill them.