News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What's the deal with the Entertainment Schedule?

Started by mehan, August 26, 2010, 07:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehan

The official site says "new schedule posted by Aug 10 - we are leaving the old schedule up to give you a taste"......

Lupa

You might be at an old link... here is the current one with this year's schedule grid.

http://www.rennfest.com/pdfs/1.pdf
Goddess of the Grove
DoRT
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3576
IFoRP #1360
FOKTOP Inquisitor
Cheer'n M'Crack

Capt. Morgan

The Rogues are playing every other stage BUT The White Hart???!  :-\
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

will paisley

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on August 26, 2010, 08:38:06 AM

With the opening of the Boar's Head stage, it seems like some of the entertainment usually found in the White Hart has been "redistributed".  The Pyrates only appear twice at the White Hart, and the Rogues don't appear there at all.  In addition, there's a lot more "dead air" at the White Hart now - there are several breaks in the entertainment when nothing at all is scheduled.  Many of the people who stay at the White Hart all day don't like it at all (to which a logical reply would be "Then get up and move!", which opens up a notorious MDRF can of worms).  Between that and the absence of several regular acts this year, many regulars (myself included) are having almost Rain Man-like reactions to the C-word ("change").
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

SirBlackFox

Quote from: will paisley on August 30, 2010, 09:57:10 AM

Between that and the absence of several regular acts this year, many regulars (myself included) are having almost Rain Man-like reactions to the C-word ("change").

You hit that nail on the head Will.  It's going to take a few weeks to get used to the moves.  What I don't get is why you'd put acts that draw such large crowds (wine & alchemy or the Rogues) up at the Gatehouse where the seating can't hold the crowd. . .  and yesterday I noticed that after the show folks were given the option to 1)walk all the way back into the festival proper or 2)let's just go home. . .it's too hot, the car's outside this gate.

Just doesn't seem smart to keep folks so close to the exit (without a pub!). . .  just my thoughts. . .  but I'd want to keep folks IN the faire, not give them the option to leave!
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

analise

I was assuming W&A was up by the Gatehouse because they're a "new" act. (though they're sort of half of E Muzeki so...YMMV?)

That and they're amplified and I imagine they were trying to keep the sound from interfering with other acts at the faire. (Since you can't toss every amplified act down at Blackfriars!) That said, I did kind of wish they put them on the Market State (as they did with E Muzeki) since there isn't much going on there this year. But...I guess that would then interfere with whatever musical acts are at the Boar's Head, eesh!

I do like that they're playing near the end of the day by the Gatehouse, though. I mean...I noticed a lot of people who were on their way out stopping to listen and get sucked in so hopefully that resulted in some new fans for them! :)

will paisley

Quote from: SirBlackFox on August 30, 2010, 10:24:18 AM
Quote from: will paisley on August 30, 2010, 09:57:10 AM

Between that and the absence of several regular acts this year, many regulars (myself included) are having almost Rain Man-like reactions to the C-word ("change").

You hit that nail on the head Will.  It's going to take a few weeks to get used to the moves.  What I don't get is why you'd put acts that draw such large crowds (wine & alchemy or the Rogues) up at the Gatehouse where the seating can't hold the crowd. . .  and yesterday I noticed that after the show folks were given the option to 1)walk all the way back into the festival proper or 2)let's just go home. . .it's too hot, the car's outside this gate.

Just doesn't seem smart to keep folks so close to the exit (without a pub!). . .  just my thoughts. . .  but I'd want to keep folks IN the faire, not give them the option to leave!

Although I try (note the word) not to question the decisions made by the faire (especially publicly), I certainly wonder about them.  In the case of Wine and Alchemy, I'm confused by *all* their sets being at the Gatehouse stage.  I've already heard complaints from the regulars about what a schlep it is to go all the way up to the entrance to see them.  I doubt I'll be seeing them this year unless they come to Pub Sing or I make one of their shows outside the gate pre-opening.  I could speculate and come up with plausible explanations for it (the front section of the faire is "too dead" and the vendors are unhappy, the belly dancing disciples will follow them wherever they play so it doesn't matter where we put them, all the other stages were taken and the Frying Pan, er, Market Stage is too hot, etc) but that's all they would be - speculation.

One the one hand, the faire certainly wants feedback.  OTOH, I remember Carolyn having to write open letters to the ren community, in the middle of a busy faire season, to address all the rumor-mongering about changes made to faire that year (specifically, the inaccurately dubbed "Year Without A Pub Sing").  If you come up with the right balance, please let me know; I feel like I'm walking a tightrope every time I talk about the changes to faire with someone.

analise

Oh, and generally, I've been okay with the changes I've seen.

The pub stuff doesn't generally affect me though because I don't spend very much time at all in them.

I am quite pleased about Fight School being at the Globe. Wasn't sure until I saw their second show but I really like what they're able to do in the new space. (plus: yay, shade!)

EDIT: I also really like the music show they're doing for the pre-opening show and letting different acts participate. I think that's neat [and a good way to let everybody in the parking lot know "hey, gate's about to open!"]. Plus it's often difficult to hear and see an extended gate show with everyone standing around and talking so doing the music instead for a big chunk of it is cool.

will paisley

Quote from: analise on August 30, 2010, 12:18:52 PM
EDIT: I also really like the music show they're doing for the pre-opening show and letting different acts participate. I think that's neat [and a good way to let everybody in the parking lot know "hey, gate's about to open!"]. Plus it's often difficult to hear and see an extended gate show with everyone standing around and talking so doing the music instead for a big chunk of it is cool.

That was my thought when I heard the Rogues Saturday morning; I know there was an issue last year with all the regulars standing right by the front and socializing with all their friends, to the point that the actors were having to strain to be heard.  The few times I positioned myself to tape the opening show, I didn't bother because I couldn't hear what was going on.

Capt. Morgan

Sooo...where is this new Boars Head Pub of which you speak? I will only get to see it on Closing Day Weekend but I'd like some info/rundown on it prior to my visit. What do they serve and what is it near?

daniel paul

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on August 30, 2010, 03:41:19 PM
Sooo...where is this new Boars Head Pub of which you speak? I will only get to see it on Closing Day Weekend but I'd like some info/rundown on it prior to my visit. What do they serve and what is it near?

boars head is buy the joust arena. as you come thur the gate just keep turning rite...youll come to it.

will paisley

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on August 30, 2010, 03:41:19 PM

The pub's been there for ages, but since it's not enclosed to the degree that the White Hart and the Dragon are, it often gets mistaken as a pavilion for providing a shady place for people to eat their ice cream, wraps and barbecue ribs (which is still probably its primary use).  This year a covered stage was added to one end.  To elaborate on daniel paul's directions, it's at the rear of the Market Stage (aka the Frying Pan or the Serengeti).

Capt. Morgan

OH! I KNOW that place! Okay...I gotcha now! Heck...that place is historic to me...it's the Pub that Dwyn and I first met Mehan and Ewan and it's our first "stop" every year when we meet up in the Shire for a toast to friendship!