News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

in the bathroom: Once and Future King

in the bedroom: Until the Celebration, by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (and I will give mondo awesomesauce cookies to anyone who knows this series!)

Next in line: God-Emperor of Dune
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Lady Rebecca

I'm currently re-reading book 3 of the Bloody Jack Adventure series, by L.A. Meyer, Under the Jolly Roger. If you have never read these books, they are an absolute must. I believe the 8th one just came out this week, but I have yet to get my hands on it. In all, they are:

Bloody Jack
The Curse of the Blue Tattoo
Under the Jolly Roger
In the Belly of the Bloodhound
Mississippi Jack
My Bonny Light Horseman
Rapture of the Deep
The Wake of the Lorelei Lee

Merlin the Elder

Just finished The Stand by Stephen King...restored version. Now reading Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

Dreadnought
by Robert K. Massie

Sorry, I don't read much popular fiction.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Never apologize for different tastes, Dona Catalina! If we were all the same, it would be a very boring life, indeed!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

midnightferret

Ok, I'm reading a LKH "Anita Blake" e-book on the ipod, sadly I can't remember which one, because as someone said earlier, they got even more random rape-fantasy harem sex than usual, so I only read a couple sentences here and there while waiting for downloads or something. I think it's the one after Obsidian Butterfly, but the last time I read it was Sat and I've slept and read a lot since then. :)

Also currently e-reading _The Saltmarsh Murders_ by Gladys Mitchell and _How to Keep Your Indoor Cat Sane_.

I'm listening to the Audiobook _Appetite for Life: The Biography of Julia Child_. It's awesome, but read it, don't listen to it, because the transitions (Chapter, section, paragraph) are really choppy. Also, forget all that Julie/Julia crap. The movie was highly entertaining, and I actually did used to read the blog, but you don't learn about Julia Child there. She worked in Military Intelligence! She lived all over the world! She wasn't married until she was 34, and it was some time later that she found her calling! Inspi-freaking-rational, no?

As for "real books," I'm reading Agatha Christie's autobiography. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. She doesn't talk about her famed disappearance, but she talks about everything, and I mean everything else. It's absolutely engrossing. I am also reading _Pleyn Delit_ by Constance B. Hieatt and Sharon Butler, which is an awesome book about medieval food with recipe redactions.

Read all my books! I'm SO going to read most of yours! :D

Luciana

I'm rereading "After Us The Deluge" by Josef Toman - great book about Rome during Caligula. I'm also reading "Cleopatra's Daughter" - Michelle Moran.  I just finished "The Botticelli Secret" by Marina Fiorato and "The Borgia Bride" by Jeanne Kalogridis.

I have two more of Jeanne's books to read, "The Devil's Queen" about Caterina de Medici and "I, Mona Lisa" and also three mystery books by Nancy Bush, "Candy red Apple", "Electric Blue" and "Ultra Violet".
Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.

Lady Christina de Pond

I'm probley going to read Thorn In My Heart next from liz curtis higgs it's the first in a three book series i don't know why but i read lots of book series
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Brenna

Quote from: Welsh Wench on September 13, 2010, 06:23:29 PM
Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich

Stephanie Plum totally RULES!

I'm on #8. I was so excited and pleased by them in the beginning, but it's getting repititious. Am I just so easily deterred or what? It's good writing! And they do get into some insane situations! But, I am hoping all the "funny" stuff isn't gone! Grandma is laugh-out-loud awesome!  I am just seeing some repeats of similar situations in the last two books. :(

Brenna

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on September 15, 2010, 01:14:39 PM
I'm probley going to read Thorn In My Heart next from liz curtis higgs it's the first in a three book series i don't know why but i read lots of book series
For me, it's because I read and get to know the characters, then they just .. vanish from my life! At least with series I can pick up and keep "knowing" them long after the first book is finished. :)

Lady Christina de Pond

that might be the reason i enjoy a series i like following the lives of the charaters
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

ADraeger

Quote from: midnightferret on September 14, 2010, 04:04:43 PM
Ok, I'm reading a LKH "Anita Blake" e-book on the ipod, sadly I can't remember which one, because as someone said earlier, they got even more random rape-fantasy harem sex than usual, so I only read a couple sentences here and there while waiting for downloads or something. I think it's the one after Obsidian Butterfly, but the last time I read it was Sat and I've slept and read a lot since then. :)

Also currently e-reading _The Saltmarsh Murders_ by Gladys Mitchell and _How to Keep Your Indoor Cat Sane_.

I'm listening to the Audiobook _Appetite for Life: The Biography of Julia Child_. It's awesome, but read it, don't listen to it, because the transitions (Chapter, section, paragraph) are really choppy. Also, forget all that Julie/Julia crap. The movie was highly entertaining, and I actually did used to read the blog, but you don't learn about Julia Child there. She worked in Military Intelligence! She lived all over the world! She wasn't married until she was 34, and it was some time later that she found her calling! Inspi-freaking-rational, no?

As for "real books," I'm reading Agatha Christie's autobiography. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. She doesn't talk about her famed disappearance, but she talks about everything, and I mean everything else. It's absolutely engrossing. I am also reading _Pleyn Delit_ by Constance B. Hieatt and Sharon Butler, which is an awesome book about medieval food with recipe redactions.

Read all my books! I'm SO going to read most of yours! :D

IMHO, You are absolutely correct regarding LKH's Anita Blake series.  They started out such fun, ended up being nothing but shock value and characters I cannot relate to (which is extremely rare).  Obsidian Butterfly was the last decent (I don't know that I'd stretch and call it good as it's been so long since I've read it) book in the series - past that, you can forget plot. 

Currently reading:
Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo (the first in the series was decent, Sworn to Silence). 
The Riddle of Amish Culture - Donald B. Kraybill (yes, I am researching the Amish. :) 
The Screenwriter's Problem Solver - Syd Field (as an amateur screenwriter, I must say a tarot reading has done more good for me so far than this book)
Freaky Deaky - Elmore Leonard (so far, a lot of fun... with some writer-envy mixed in)

Toarmod

The Way of Kings, by Brian Sanderson. (ie. the guy who is finishing the Wheel of Time series for the late Robert Jordan) So far it's very good. It is predicted to be a ten book series (The Stormlight Archive) and weighing in at 1000 pages each.

LadyFae

"Titus Groan" by Mervyn Peake.  The first in the trilogy...
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Tom

Currently re-reading The Belgariad and The Malloreon by David Eddings.
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband