News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RefMom3

Haven't read him, but I've heard of him. Clinton connection, yes?

groomporter

I just finished Nuns behaving Badly Tales Of Music, Magic, Art, And Arson In The Convents Of Italy Not anywhere near as salacious as the tabloid style cover suggests, but an interesting look at politics between convents and the church authorities as well as some of the things that went on in convents. https://www.amazon.com/Nuns-Behaving-Badly-Tales-Convents/dp/0226534723

When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

RefMom3

Certainly is attention-grabbing. Considering that there were likely a number of women in convents against their wishes, I'm sure there was a fair amount of impious behavior.

groomporter

Quote from: RefMom3 on April 26, 2019, 10:37:11 PM
Certainly is attention-grabbing. Considering that there were likely a number of women in convents against their wishes, I'm sure there was a fair amount of impious behavior.

That was an interesting tidbit it mentioned. Some families could only afford a large dowry for the eldest, or most favored daughter to get married into a "good" family. Since the "dowry" paid to become a "bride of Christ" was less expensive, it was common to put the younger daughter(s) in convents. In fact it was not uncommon for novices to end up in the same nunnery as family like their aunts or great aunts.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

RefMom3

Good point. Isn't it interesting to think of a nunnery as a sort of "family business?"

dbaldock

Enjoyed reading Scott Bradlee's "Outside the Jukebox: How I Turned My Vintage Music Obsession into My Dream Gig", about the founding of Postmodern Jukebox.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

RefMom3

I was going to get the Scott Bradlee book for the library, but I didn't think anyone would read it :(   Might just borrow from another library for myself.
I've been reading a bio of George Patton. Extremely short and concise, but interesting. Evidently, now, it's thought he was dyslexic. I've been told I have to watch the movie (which I've never seen).

Merlin the Elder

Patton was one of only two wide release movies filmed and distributed in Dimension-150. There was also a D-150 print of the original Star Wars that was shown for the London premiere.  We had a D-150 theater in Little Rock where I saw Patton. It was extraordinary.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

KeeperoftheBar

It is a good movie, fairly accurate, I think, except for the voice. George C Scott has a much deeper voice than George Patton had.

I'm almost finished with "The End" by Ian Kershaw, about Germany from 20 July 1944 to 8 May 1945 and why the Third Reich didn't surrender but kept fighting till 'the end'.  Very interesting....
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

RefMom3

I can't think of the last movie I watched; "Patton" was highly recommended (not surprisingly ;) ), so I will watch it...eventually...
I buy the books in the 900 classification in my library, which includes history, and every month I'm amazed at how many books are being published about WWII. I could easily spend the entire monthly budget on WWII alone. Unfortunately, not many seem to be read by our patrons, so I have to be very selective.  One that I thought looked interesting is called "D-Day Girls," by Sarah Rose, about women who acted as spies in the resistance.

RefMom3

I'm finishing a book by Candace Robb called Conspiracy of Wolves, the latest in her Owen Archer series. Set in York in the late 14c, with many actual historical people such as John Thoresby and Geoffrey Chaucer as characters. Very well done.

KeeperoftheBar

In this time of COVID 19, I find it stress relieving to read about when things were worse and people survived.  I'm currently reading "BLOODLANDS Europe Between Hitler and Stalin" by Timothy Snyder.  It mostly covers the mass murders in Poland, Ukraine and the Baltic States by both the Nazis and Soviets.  It makes our bad times seem very mild in comparison.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

RefMom3

One of the reviews for that book says that between Stalin and Hitler, there were 14 million people killed while they wrestled over control of agriculture. Incredible. Just incredible.
I buy for the 900 section in my library, which includes history, and I'm amazed every month to see how many books are still being written about WWII, and are different from the others already written. I could probably hit my budget every month with just those.

KeeperoftheBar

I have always been fond of the 940 section, myself.  WWII in particular.  I especially like reading how different historians view the same battle.  I have books by both Cornelius Ryan and Antony Beavor on D-Day, Arnhem and the Battle for Berlin.  It is amazing what the people when through, both service and civilian during those days.  Makes one truly humble.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

RefMom3

A former director had us do a weeding project that I have called "The Purge," because she didn't want any title over 10 years old, and if we kept something older, we had to justify it, especially if the circ numbers were low. I got rid of so many things that made me sad, and just wonder why people weren't reading this stuff; it was interesting! lol.
I bought one that isn't multiple opinions on one event, but several events described by many historians. It's called I Wish I'd Been There: Twenty Historians Bring to Life Dramatic Events that Changed America, by Byron Hollinshead. Cool idea.