News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

At the moment, I'm reading two books -
Beginning Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, with Kindle version of - "The Color of Magic"
On Project Gutenberg, re-reading P.G. Wodehouse books, currently - "A Damsel in Distress"
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Trillium

Terry Pratchett is so much fun! I love the discworld series!
Got faerie dust?

RefMom3

Terry Pratchett also wrote a series with Stephen Baxter called the Long Earth, and it was about "stepping" to other worlds, finding a New Earth. Interesting.  He also wrote the Johnny Maxwell trilogy, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Very different from the Discworld, but still enjoyable.

RefMom3

I'm guessing there has been a lot of reading done over the past several months...
my library now has several staff leading our book discussion group (which is frankly something I'm not comfortable with at all; I'm not much of a talker...I'm a listener, and sometimes stare-at-a-person-wondering-if-I-just-heard-what-I-thought-I-heard..er), and in a couple of weeks my book will be Make Your Bed: Little things that can change your life...and maybe the world, by Admiral William McRaven. It was based on a wonderful speech he gave as a commencement address.

laedyfaire

The Dance Tree by Kiran Millwood Hargrove

on page 90... enjoying the writing style and content is interesting. :)

RefMom3

The Art of Theft, by Sherry Thomas, which is book 4 of the Lady Sherlock series (she made Sherlock into Charlotte; interesting), and re-reading A Symphony of Echoes, book 2 of the Chronicles of St. Mary's, by Jodi Taylor. It is about a group of historians who study historical events in contemporary time (but don't call it time travel!). Then I have The Lady from Burma, by Allison Montclair waiting. It is the 4th book of the Sparks and Bainbridge series, about 2 women in post-WWII London who start a marriage bureau and somehow end up solving murders.

laedyfaire

The Lady of Sherlock is on my TBR list!!

I finished The Dance Tree...based on the "dancing plague" of 1518 in Strasbourg....I really enjoyed it!

happy reading  :)

Trillium

The Lady Sherlock series is great! If you like those, check out the Veronica Speedwell series by Deanna Raybourn. The King's Pleasure by Allison Weir is next up on my nightstand. Written in King Henry's point of view, should be interesting.
Got faerie dust?

RefMom3

I love the Veronica Speedwell books; I get the monthly newsletter from Deanna Raybourn, and the next Veronica book is due to come out in March, I think. Veronica is quite a character ;) I also enjoyed her book Killers of a Certain Age, which reminded me of Richard Osman's series The Thursday Murder Club. Seniors solving murders, or seniors committing them. Last summer I read an interesting book called The Phantom Tree, by Nicola Cornick, which involved a woman who grew up in Wolf Hall but somehow time-traveled to the present day. I'd also recommend Candace Robb's Owen Archer series (enjoyed her others, too, but this is my favorite of them).

laedyfaire

Quote from: Trillium on September 05, 2023, 12:37:58 PMThe Lady Sherlock series is great! If you like those, check out the Veronica Speedwell series by Deanna Raybourn. The King's Pleasure by Allison Weir is next up on my nightstand. Written in King Henry's point of view, should be interesting.

love Alison Weir! and yes, her new one you mentioned is on my coming up soon list :)

I will have to check out this series mentioned here...so many books so little time.

started The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.....book club pick

RefMom3

I've never read an Alison Weir; I keep seeing things that look like they'd be perfect for me, but somehow haven't picked one up yet. Part of the problem with me and reading lately is that my contacts are about 10 years old and I desperately need to update the prescription, but have been using reading cheaters and that's not doing my vision any good. Something just gets in the way of making that appointment.

Trillium

I completely understand! I need to upgrade my glasses to progressives. I'm not looking forward to it. I have to take them off to sew and I've noticed reading is getting more difficult. It's not cheap so I keep putting it off. I am currently reading Murder Wears a Hidden Face by Rosemary Simpson. Another series I really enjoy, set in New York Gilded Age.
Got faerie dust?

laedyfaire

That's a bummer RefMom3 and Trillium..  Hard to read enjoyable without right glasses:/

Just started The Blacktongue Thief by Christopher Buehlman.... ALso known as Christopher the Insulter at ren faires.

RefMom3

I remember many years ago (maybe in the late 80s?),  during a visit to Bristol, my now ex-husband wanted to pay Christoph $20 to hurl insults at his best friend who was with us, but we never seemed to be able to catch Christoph on the grounds at a time he wasn't doing something. There's a part of me that isn't sorry I missed it... Hope you enjoy the book!

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I'm re-reading the Rose Hotel: a memoir by  Rahimeh Andalibian on my kindle fire. It's actually very good.
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.