Market Square > Renaissance Art

The person behind the portrait

<< < (2/16) > >>

Welsh Wench:
What a beautiful child, Bellevivre!
And thanks for an intelligent topic, Dona. I majored in art and still love it.

Portrait of a Young Woman, or as it is known in Italy as la Fornarina which means 'bakeress'.

More details on this exquisite painting are here--
http://www.haberarts.com/raphael.htm

Margherita Luti is most probably the model. She was Raphael's mistress. Evidently she was quite a woman. Or at least Raphael thought so.

Most of what we know about Raphael's love life comes from Vasari's vivid biographical account in Lives of the Painters, Sculptors, and Architects (1550-68). Raphael was, Vasari tells us, "a very amorous person, delighting much in women and ever ready to serve them," but never married. According to Vasari, toward the end of his life, when he was trying to complete the frescos in Agostino Chigi's villa in Rome, Raphael grew so obsessed by his girlfriend, Margherita Luti, that he couldn't focus on his work, so he had her installed in one of the villa's rooms where he could visit her whenever he felt the urge. Not long after this, Raphael's rock-starlike lifestyle caught up with him, and he died at age 37 from a fever brought on by too much sex. If we believe Vasari's story, Luti was the ultimate femme fatale.

Raphael was reluctant to tell his doctor what he had been up to and was given the wrong cure which killed him.
Can there be too much of a good thing?
I guess so.

Anna Iram:
Bellevivre, your picture of Bia reminds me of another Medici. Maria de Medici. Same lovely face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search/Maria_de%27_Medici_(1540%E2%80%931557

In keeping with your theme of half naked women WW... ;D

This intrigues me. Is she dressing or undressing? Who is she? Anyone know how to find out?

Portrait of a Young Woman by Tiziano Vecellio (Titian)

bellevivre:

--- Quote from: Anna Iram on September 26, 2010, 06:42:58 PM ---Bellevivre, your picture of Bia reminds me of another Medici. Maria de Medici. Same lovely face.

In keeping with your theme of half naked women WW... ;D

This intrigues me. Is she dressing or undressing? Who is she? Anyone know how to find out?

http://www.titian-tizianovecellio.org/Portrait-of-a-Young-Woman-1530s.html

--- End quote ---
actually, her half sister, isabella, apparently was a dead ringer for her, if you'll excuse the pun... those Medici's had some STRONG genes!

Welsh Wench:
Nudity is not the issue here.
It's art.

While not renaissance art or a portrait, Little Gracie Watson has a story that is poignant.

Gracie's father was the manager of the Pulaski House in Savannah, Georgia. Gracie was their only child. She died of pneumonia in 1889 at the age of six. Her parents were devastated and life would never be the same for them. Her father commissioned a sculpture by a local artist, John Walz, from a photograph he gave him of Gracie.
Gracie has been vandalized in previous years and is now behind a wrought iron fence, fully restored.

If you are ever in Savannah, I highly recommend a visit to Bonaventure Cemetery. Stop by and pay a call on Gracie.
It's very touching.

Now back to renaissance paintings.

DonaCatalina:
This one is simply called Potrait of a Florentine Noblewoman by Agnolo Brozino. It was painted during the period when Bronzino was doing portraits almost exclusively for the Medici family. This and the fact that she has a strong resemblamce to Eleonor Alvarez de Toledo has led to some speculation that she is a maternal relative.
Ana Alvarez de Toledo Y Pimental was Eleonor's younger sister, this portrait could very well be her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version