News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Should restaurants have "adults only" sections?

Started by Valiss, September 28, 2010, 01:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I wouldn't mind it, but there are children of all ages, so the saying goes. Nimue and I went out to a small upper-mid-scale restaurant one evening and were seated by the hostess away from the noisy bar area. In the "quiet" main dining area, only one table was occupied (6 or 7 patrons), and we were a couple tables away from them.

After just a few minutes, we asked to be moved to the bar area because we were unable to have a conversation. One of the other table's patrons was talking so loud, we could not hear each other! It wasn't that he had to talk loud, he was just a blow-hard braggart with a big mouth. Even though it was actually louder in the bar area—at least 30 people—it was more like white noise where you couldn't make out a conversation. Our waitress was very apologetic. What made matters worse, the table were guests of the owner.

It doesn't have to be kids that are rude. Many of them have better manners than the adults. Another pet peeve: cell phones in the restaurant. If I ever open a restaurant, it will be shielded so that cell phones do not work!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Renee Buchanan

I think it has to depend on the size of the restaurant.  Our restaurant has 15 tables and seats 40 people.  There is no way we could have a separate area for adults without children and another one for adults with children. 

Having said that, although our restaurant is casual, it is very upscale in the dining experience, no children's menu even, and with any family who has taken their children in, we have never had one problem in the 11 years we've been open.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

BubbleWright

I think children should be served in all restaurants. They're delicious barbequed.  ::)
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Anna Iram

:D

In all seriousness, it does depend what age we are talking about. Babies and toddlers...or any child who is apt to wail, do not belong in anything other than a casual family restaurant. Children old enough to sit at table and eat with the adults are a delight when they have been taught proper table manners. I have no problem with this and don't think they need be put in another room, but I do think it would be nice if there were a family hour to include the younger set and then from...say... 8:30 on it is 10 and up.

I agree there are plenty of adults who don't know how to share a dining experience. I have always said dining should be a required course in highschool whereby good manners and good tipping habits are taught.

Lady Nicolette

Restaurants that need "adult only" sections aren't usually in the fine dining oeuvre.
And those that are, usually have children that rise to the occasion.  It depends on the clientele...and it's up to the parents to realize when a child needs to be removed for other patrons' comfort.  I've been on both sides of this issue.  Sometimes a child will be able to handle it, other times not.  Parents are the ones who need to take matters in hand and remove a child when necessary. 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Becky10

I remember when i was like 5 my aunt took us to a really nice restaurant and we got the stare down from just about everyone when we walked in and a believe a table did ask to move away from us. We didnt even make a peep the entire time we were there and kept in our seats. When we were getting ready to leave the manager came over and thanked us for being so quite i think it pretty much baffled them lol.

Unfortunately not everyone educates their children on being aware of the feelings of those around them and i think adult only restaurants are a great idea. I dont really see the point in taking a kid to a nice place when theyre going to be forced into ordering something they dont want, that they wont eat and that you'll have to pay a good chunk of change for. The experience? Kids dont want that they want Chuckecheese.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

KeeperoftheBar

I don't think it should be limited to an adults only section, I'd like to see an adults only restaurant.  No one under 15 served.  But bars?  I don't know.  I spent many a happy hour with my Dad in a bar when I was 5 or so.  Got my first pocketknife and learned to play pool in one before I started the 1st grade.  But, (showing my age) kids were better behaved back then because going out was such a rare treat.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

LadyShadow

Keeper, I have to ask this... What time was happy hour?  I used to go to bars with my Mom when I was younger.  But I was much  better behaved than children today.  But after a certain time, children of any age were not permitted.  And I do agree upon that, only if the children can and know how to behave.

I do my best to teach my children manners and how to act properly out in public.  I continuously get compliments on how nice and well behaved they are compared to other children.  But I still think that certain times and places children should not be allowed.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Merlin the Elder

LadyShadow, in those days, there wasn't any such thing as a happy hour that I recall. Like Keeper, I used to go with my Dad while he sipped a couple brews after work. There was also no such thing as acting up. It was a privilege to sit at the bar with my Dad...I'd have a soda.  I would give anything to be able to sit at a bar with my Dad again. Those were wonderful memories.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

crashbot

I live in the burbs. Totally infested with terrible parents and hoardes of even worse children. My wife and I eat and fine dining/upscale places a few times a month, usually do not see many children in these places. However, simply paying less for dinner at a casual dining establishment doesnt mean one should have to be subjected to terrible little monsters. Take that crap to places like pizza buffets and fast food joints.

Here is one example of the dozen or more I have. I was at PF Changs, typical casual mid range Chinese place. We had finished eating and had our leftovers and fortune cookies sitting on the table and where talking and finishing up our drinks. Well, this little 6 or 7 year old brat runs over from the table next to ours, grabs the cookie and before I could say anything tore open the package and shoved it in his mouth. I was dumbfounded and of course "super parents" did nothing but laugh and say "aw, how cute". Not even an apology.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on September 29, 2010, 08:57:57 AM
LadyShadow, in those days, there wasn't any such thing as a happy hour that I recall. Like Keeper, I used to go with my Dad while he sipped a couple brews after work. There was also no such thing as acting up. It was a privilege to sit at the bar with my Dad...I'd have a soda.  I would give anything to be able to sit at a bar with my Dad again. Those were wonderful memories.
After my Dad was widowed, I remember sitting in the VFW with my sister while he tended bar (and yes,  have a beer with his friends while he worked).  We would have shirley temples, some beer nuts and draw pictures. It was just one of those neutral childhood memories, like going to the laundramat with your aunt.   
  When we were in a pub in Scotland last year, the barmaid had her kids sitting at the bar and drawing (video games conspicuously absent).  The locals came in, ruffled the kids' hair, then sat down and ordered their drinks.  You won't see that int th U.S. anymore...
  OK, I'm back from that little trip down memory lane.  Thanks Merlin and Keeper.^_^

---------
  I was raised to believe that children behaving badly in public is a direct reflection on the parents.  However, society today offers excuses for everything.  The kid is excitable? Obviously ADD.  Rude?  We as fellow adults should admire little guy/girls' spunk.  And the blanket excuse.......They're just kids.
   Well, my dog is just a dog, but I won't take him places I know he is going to have issues with or be tempted to misbehave in. People would ask me (and rightly so) why I brought him, and very possibly question his (and my) lack of training and good sense.
   So, because parents these days feel entitled to drag their kids to places that are not particularly kid friendly, and then ignore the fact that the kids are frustrated, bored and creating an uproar to the detriment of the rest of the world, I vote YES to segregated restaurants.   
  I'm old and cantankerous. 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

LadyShadow

Quote from: Rowen MacD on September 30, 2010, 10:13:01 AM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on September 29, 2010, 08:57:57 AM
After my Dad was widowed, I remember sitting in the VFW with my sister while he tended bar (and yes,  have a beer with his friends while he worked).  We would have shirley temples, some beer nuts and draw pictures. It was just one of those neutral childhood memories, like going to the laundramat with your aunt.   
  When we were in a pub in Scotland last year, the barmaid had her kids sitting at the bar and drawing (video games conspicuously absent).  The locals came in, ruffled the kids' hair, then sat down and ordered their drinks.  You won't see that int th U.S. anymore...
  OK, I'm back from that little trip down memory lane.  Thanks Merlin and Keeper.^_^

Which is extremely understandable because children of the time new how to behave and parents did not allow much of what happens today to happen.

I was raised to believe that children behaving badly in public is a direct reflection on the parents.  However, society today offers excuses for everything.  The kid is excitable? Obviously ADD.  Rude?  We as fellow adults should admire little guy/girls' spunk.  And the blanket excuse.......They're just kids.
   Well, my dog is just a dog, but I won't take him places I know he is going to have issues with or be tempted to misbehave in. People would ask me (and rightly so) why I brought him, and very possibly question his (and my) lack of training and good sense.
   So, because parents these days feel entitled to drag their kids to places that are not particularly kid friendly, and then ignore the fact that the kids are frustrated, bored and creating an uproar to the detriment of the rest of the world, I vote YES to segregated restaurants.   
  I'm old and cantankerous. 

This exact thing causes a problem between my sister and myself.  My children, yes unruly at times, behave better in public than her 1 child does.  She has even been told that her child is a handful, among other things and wanted to complain because the woman was being honest.  If there is a place that is not kid friendly and the children are well behaved, then I think it is perfectly find for them to be there.  But in most cases, as you stated, children do not mind or behave and parents today expect everyone else to just deal with it.  IMHO that is wrong and rude of those parents, and they need to learn a thing or two about being a parent.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Taffy Saltwater

Somewhat OT, but ... there's a local chain of movie theatres - Alamo Draft House - that is an 18 and up establishment.  No children under the age of 18 unless accompanied by an adult.  No children under the age of 6 except for special "baby days".  I LOVE THIS PLACE.  They serve beer/ale/cider and hot snacks/meals.  Yeah, sometimes adults act up.  But management puts the whomp on that right away.  It's an absolute pleasure to spend my money at this place.

The Old Salty's Restaurant in Carolina Beach, NC, has instituted a NO screaming children policy.  And if I lived there, I would be frequenting this place.
Sveethot!

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on September 30, 2010, 11:45:45 AM
The Old Salty's Restaurant in Carolina Beach, NC, has instituted a NO screaming children policy.  And if I lived there, I would be frequenting this place.
*Making note to dine at Old Salty's*
You will LOL at the reviews:
http://wilmington.cape.fear.diningguide.com/data/d100193.htm
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Noble Dreg

I am beginning to think this place is completely anti-family...danged tired of it honestly.

Go to Perkins at 5 p.m., shut up and deal with the kids!

Go to Perkins at 1 a.m., shut up and deal with the drunks!

I will say I did not bring my young ones to any "adult" restaurants when they were at an age prone to "breakdowns".  A tad bit more considerate I dare say than those idiots who bring their loud and boorish friends and spouses out to eat.  Bad behavior is bad behavior, regardless of age.  Perhaps the question would be better phrased "Should an individual consider the comfort of those around them when dining"?
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small