Market Square > Renaissance Art

Joos van Cleve (or van den Beke ) ca. 1480/90, Cleves - 1540/41,Antwerp

(1/3) > >>

DonaCatalina:
Joos was one of twenty van Cleefs who painted in Antwerp, but whether the well-known Henry, Martin, and William (the younger) were kin of his cannot be determined. Of his father, William (the elder), we know only that he was a member of the Antwerp Academy, which body Joos joined.
Joos had a talent for portraying details of sumptious fabrics, which made him popular wth wealthy patrons.
Portrait of Agniete van den Rijne

DonaCatalina:
This painting of Francois I, in Normandy, is labeled as a work of Joos Van Cleve,
but some experts believe the only part painted by him was the face.

Rowan MacD:
  Trying not to drool over this.  I love the Dutch painters.

Question: Is that an embroidered black corset top showing between the red smock and the dress bodice top?
 I have seen this in a few portraits, and I am wondering if it was just a fashion thing, like a partlet or an insert, or is she really was showing off the corset?  
  And what would you call that?

operafantomet:

--- Quote from: Rowen MacD on October 22, 2010, 10:03:18 AM ---Question: Is that an embroidered black corset top showing between the red smock and the dress bodice top?
 I have seen this in a few portraits, and I am wondering if it was just a fashion thing, like a partlet or an insert, or is she really was showing off the corset?  
  And what would you call that?

--- End quote ---

I think it's a front laced underkirtle with red stomacher/modesty panel, worn under the brocaded gown. A similar recreation by Eva Andersson can be seen here:
http://web.comhem.se/~u41200125/Moresdaughter.html

It's too early for corsets in the early and mid 16th century, especially for the soft Dutch and Tudor styles.

DonaCatalina:
Thanks O,
I would not have been able to answer that as succintly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version