News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

San Zanita FAQ

Started by Obadiah Jib, December 02, 2009, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

FAQ

How long is this story telling game going to be?
  Currently I am planning on 15 weeks with 13 chapters.  Some chapters are short and some much longer.  I will post one chapter per week.

Do you have the game already written out ahead of time or adjust the game based upon player responses? The game and the tale have been previously written to make certain that it plays out fairly.

Do you favor certain players (aka. Capt. Bacardi)?  No, I try to kill all of you (joking).  While I adore Captain Bacardi he has yet to play one of my games.

Is this story from a book or "choose your own adventure" novel circa 1982?
  While inspired by the choose your own adventures of the 80's it is entirely my creation.  Yeah I am just that creative... don't be too surprised!

I like to win!  Can I work this game with certain skills and choices to make certain I win?  Min max the system?  Tweak my persona?  I do this with computer games all the time!  Maybe.  Much of the game will be hinge upon the choices you make.  Often times a subtle approach is best.  This game is set up so that anyone, with any skill, can win.  Most of the game is in the telling.  My advice is to have fun and keep the game focused on YOU and YOUR PIRATE PERSONA.  Remember sometimes even a good choice can go horribly bad.

This is a lot more than I wanted.  Too complex for me.  Too many rules.  Too much to read.  I'm out of here! If this doesn't met with success after the first 3 game posts I will pull the game to save what little dignity I have remaining.  Hey, I tried something new!  If it didn't work at least I tried.

I love Family Guy!  Can I please play a pirate version of Peter?  Sorry, no copy written characters.  Giggity.

Jib you are a genius!  How can I worship you?  Some patrons set up a FB fansite.  Feel free to join.  Post accolades, suggestions, insults, etc...No stalking please.

If I die can I come back to life?  Sure if you want.

But my Persona is a Knight, Noble, Fairy, Gypsy, etc.  I don't do pirates.  Can I still play?  Certainly!  It is your story.  You can always say that you are a Knight who loves the sea or a Fairy who wants to be a pirate.  We welcome all players!  A new perspective would be great!

Example of a turn:

You are seated in the Windmill tavern in Port Royal with a full tankard of beer and looking for a spot on the next buccaneer ship headed out for glory and Spanish gold.  As you look about the tavern you notice a stocky built fellow in a blue sailors coat with a scar under his left eye.  If you have chosen to take the Keen Senses skill at the Exceptional or Master level you can tell from his dress and the way he speaks he is of Dutch origins.  You see him produce a tattered piece of parchment and show it to his two companions who also appear to be sailors.  You recognize the designs on the paper as similar to those on the scrap of paper Rafe Blunt gave you before he died.  You decide that this man must own the other half of the directions to the wreck of San Juan Agora!

You need to see that piece of parchment but how?  The owner and his companions look like they know how to fight and you can't best all three.  Do you use the Sneak skill to try and get closer to take a look at this scrap of parchment?  Use Intimidation to threaten him into handing over the parchment?  Or challenge him to a game of cards with your skill in Gambling for possession of the parchment?  Of course you can just ask to see it.  What do you do?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Obadiah Jib

One of my goals was to run this throughout the winter to give those of us in the northern colonies a little something to do besides deal with frost bite!

Welsh Wench

Jib, I just love your games!

If any are hesitant about this, don't be!
We had more fun with the last game/story. It's a way to kick back and relax and lots of fun to see what happens next.

I know there are quite a few of you out there reading this and it looks to be thought provoking and a challenge to see what will happen next!

So get your characters together--it's easy!
Be the pirate you always wanted to be!

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Obadiah Jib

Thanks Welsh Wench.  The first adventure will set sail the week before Christmas so get that Persona ready for the fun!

Equipment for your Pirate Persona will be out this next week.  What sort of weapons, tools, and other assorted odds and ends will you take along?

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on December 12, 2009, 10:46:11 AM
One of my goals was to run this throughout the winter to give those of us in the northern colonies a little something to do besides deal with frost bite!

Like.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on December 12, 2009, 10:46:11 AM

Oh, us  northern folk with 2 feet of  snow on  the  ground  like  that  ! ;D

You mentioned the first adventure  will  start the  week before Christmas . Just  a thought, but what if  some  people  are away  for  the  holidays . Might want to give  some  leeway.

Anyway, this looks like it will be  fun !  Love  your  ideas  Jib  !  :) Oh,  and If  I  send  you a  Christmas  stocking  filled with bottles of rum, some  good  ale,  and   good  cuban  cigars   do  I  win ?!  ;D ;)
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Obadiah Jib

Everybody wins!

I will post once before Christmas and then wait until after New Years for the next chapter.

Sound good shipmates?

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on December 15, 2009, 09:52:21 PM
Everybody wins!

I will post once before Christmas and then wait until after New Years for the next chapter.

Sound good shipmates?

Sounds  good !  Can't wait  ! Looks  like it will be  fun and  interesting.   Happy Holidays   !
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Obadiah Jib

From email: Can I cheat when I play the game? That is up to you.  Some already have.  Some will later.  Some play it straight.  Whatever makes you happy.

Capt Spleen

Yo Ho OJ!
            Ummm........ is this similar to D n D, and you're the DUngeon Master?

DO i plug my own character into the game or are there preset characters?

How does my character "have-get" skill points? Predetermined/and/or/via play experience?

Can I play just one chapter, disappear, then resume in that chapter and/or play the next or other chapters?

Do you rule dice per character skill (as in D n D) or do you have a predetermined AND improv ways of determining outcomes based on a characters decisions, or are we all just playing against your character/s/story/world/chapter?

Sounds interesting.....

CaptDungeonSpleen "At Yarr Dis-SER...VICE"!

Obadiah Jib

Yo Ho OJ!
            Ummm........ is this similar to D n D, and you're the DUngeon Master?

Similar but closer to a choose your own adventure book.  You choose the path and help tell a story.

DO i plug my own character into the game or are there preset characters?

You make your own pirate persona based upon YOU!

How does my character "have-get" skill points? Predetermined/and/or/via play experience?

The game has already been written so I suppose you could say it is predetermined.  Clever choices and good luck are your tools to success!

Can I play just one chapter, disappear, then resume in that chapter and/or play the next or other chapters?

Yes you can!

Do you rule dice per character skill (as in D n D) or do you have a predetermined AND improv ways of determining outcomes based on a characters decisions, or are we all just playing against your character/s/story/world/chapter?

No die rolls.  It is just a story that ask you questions?  Do you fight or flee?  If you fight and have certain skills X happens.  If you flee Y happens.  Give it a try and see what you think.

Sounds interesting....

I hope it proves to be such!

Obadiah Jib

New players can join at any time!  Just start with Chapter 1 and answer the questions until you reach the current Chapter.

Have fun!

Jib

Lady Christina de Pond

alright i know i'm late on catching up with it but i finally caught up and finished it please tell me your planning another game like this come winter?
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Obadiah Jib

It's possible.  I left it open for a sequel.  Of course if anyone else would like to take a turn as the narrator...