News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Earliest copy of Da Vinci's Mona Lisa found.

Started by Anna Iram, February 01, 2012, 11:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Iram

Believed to be painted alongside Da Vinci as he worked on his masterpiece. Said to be better preserved and showing detail difficult to see in Leonardo's. I'd love to see this.

http://www.theartnewspaper.com/articles/Earliest-copy-of-Mona-Lisa-found-in-Prado/25514

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

amy

I am stunned.. (shouldn't be)  I was aware that it had been altered over the years but it is striking the posability of how much!  Such detail.. The lace.. the ringlettes..  the BACKGROUND!   So beautiful.

Anna Iram

I know! Interesting note on Rowen's link. The artist gave her eyebrows. :)

Auryn

fascinating
thank you for posting that
to be honest
I like the Prado version better.
Much more life and interest in my opinion
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Rowan MacD

It is much lighter and a bit bigger than the original too.  This one looks to be about twice the size of the Louve painting.   
  I love that she has eyebrows! 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

amy

Ok... I just have to ask...     Does that background have a slight aire of LOTR about it?   Just a smidge?    Think Tolkein illustrations.. then look at that..,. then to Tolkein... then to that...   hmmmm?

Anna Iram

It's...it's...Mordor!!!!  :D

Funny, it does remind me of the illustrations on a set of LOTR books I have from the 1970's.

Looking again at the two paintings I think there are indeed eyebrows on Da Vinci's portait, but like the veil she wears, they are nearly lost beneath the aging varnish. I do hope one day soon she is restored.

DonaCatalina

This is great. Maybe one day the Prado will let the Meadows exhibit it and I'll get to see it in person!

One can hope.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess