News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Books that should be make a movie

Started by dragongirl, February 11, 2011, 03:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragongirl

I was just reading the Constant Princess-Phillipa Gregory.  I think that this book should have been make into a feture film before The other Bolyen Girll.  There have been oodles of stories about Anne Bolyen but Katherine and Authur then Herny is an intriguing story that should be given the respect it deserves. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Becky10

^ I second that!

I would like to see The Doomsday Book turned into a movie, Or Pope Joan but I am sure that would cause all types of controversy.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Mairte

I think Outlander might be an interesting movie...

Lady Rebecca

The Bloody Jack Adventure series really needs to be made into a movie. Or really, a BBC miniseries, since there are something like 8 or so books now.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Becky10 on February 11, 2011, 03:31:50 PM
^ I second that!

I would like to see The Doomsday Book turned into a movie, Or Pope Joan but I am sure that would cause all types of controversy.

Are you referring to The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis where the female English student goes back to what they think is 1348 but........
no more descriptions, don't want to spoil anything. If that is what you mean, that & the Outlander series are my favorite books ever.

I would also love to see the Outlander series as a film, but would probably be disappointed, because I don't know if any actor could live up to Jamie.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Becky10

Why yes, yes I am, its also one of my favorite books.  I'd love if they turned The Confessions of Max Tivoli into a movie. Benjamin Button (the movie) was pretty much made out of a stripped and slaughtered version of it.  :-\ It would have been worlds better if they just paid for the rights and did all of its story.

Zardoz

Pope Joan has been made into a movie twice, in 1972 and 2009. The 1972 version with Liv Ullman is pretty good, I have not seen the newer one.
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=pope+joan

In reality, if you really love a book, why would you want a movie made? The films are almost always going to be a truncated version of the source, hardly ever as good as the book. (although I can think of a couple cases where the film was actually better  ::)
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

ravic

Quote from: Becky10 on February 11, 2011, 08:20:37 PM
Why yes, yes I am, its also one of my favorite books.  I'd love if they turned The Confessions of Max Tivoli into a movie. Benjamin Button (the movie) was pretty much made out of a stripped and slaughtered version of it.  :-\ It would have been worlds better if they just paid for the rights and did all of its story.

Hardly. Benjamin Buttons was written by F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1922. About 82 years before Max Tivoli written in 2004 by Andrew Greer.

Becky10

I am not saying Fitzgerald ripped off the book I am saying the screenplay writers did.
All books are altered to fit the screen better, I get that okay fine, but I would be willing to bet everything I own that the writers for Benjamin Button (movie) "borrowed" from Max Tivoli(which is worlds better than Fitzgerald's) which I can see the need for adding something more cause the original short story is probably one of the worst pieces I've read.
The movie plot runs pretty much the same way as Max Tivoli with some characters taken out or blended. This is extremely obvious in his relationship with the nanny and how he ages. In Fitzgerald's he's born the size of a 70 year old man with all the knowledge a man that age would have, in Tivoli he's a baby but looks really old and scrunched up.  
The plot in Benjamin Button outside of the aging backwards is FAR from what they put in the movie. Its pretty much like if you advertised the Golden Compass but the plot was Narnia except you turn the witch into a polar bear, yeah they're similar but thats still Narnia.

Becky10

Quote from: Zardoz on February 11, 2011, 09:26:38 PM

Pope Joan has been made into a movie twice, in 1972 and 2009. The 1972 version with Liv Ullman is pretty good, I have not seen the newer one.
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=pope+joan

In reality, if you really love a book, why would you want a movie made? The films are almost always going to be a truncated version of the source, hardly ever as good as the book. (although I can think of a couple cases where the film was actually better  ::)

GAK! I can't believe I missed it! I shall have to look into this!
(AND DAVID WENHAM WAS IN IT!? Where in the world was I?!)

dragongirl

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on February 11, 2011, 08:00:50 PM
[I would also love to see the Outlander series as a film, but would probably be disappointed, because I don't know if any actor could live up to Jamie.

I agree!!!  I cannot imagine ANY actor today playing Jamie correctly, or actress playing Claire for that matter.  However, I did hear rummers several years ago that Mel "hot tub" Gibson was in negotiations to purchase the right to the series for a possible movie franchise, but nothing ever came of it and now?  Well no one whats anything to do with any project he's attached to.  Heck the cast of the Hangover 2 refused to work if he was in the movie as a cameo.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Mairte

Well Mel would probably be an okay director for an Outlander movie? Not that I like him much.
I have been going through my head trying to think of any popular actors that would make a good "Jamie" and none "click" right.
If they ever do it, I hope they take special care to find the absolute right one.

Zardoz

Doesn't mean it will happen, but there is an Outlander film in development, with a 2012 release date. Other that I hear about it at scifi cons, I'm completely unfamiliar with this material, but current rumor is that the film will be mostly based on the graphic novel 'The Exile'.  I looked at it on IMDB,and there is no solid info about story or casting yet.

Unfortunately, most films "in development" never really happen, mostly because of trouble getting financed, and/or creative issues.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Addilay

Quote from: Mairte on February 11, 2011, 06:41:25 PM
I think Outlander might be an interesting movie...
If you are speaking of the Diana Gabaldon series I totaly agree. At one time it was optioned by a studio, but I am afraid it isn't going to be produced.
Of Course!  More wine!